I posted a trade ad earlier, but i guess i wasn't allowed to trade on this forum, but anyways, post was deleted and i'm wondering if you guys would recommend me doing that trade, or do you think i would want my tour back after a week, give me your honest opinion, and please!!!! no bashing or negative attitude comments,
    11-20-09 04:44 PM
    Why don't you add a line to your acct and get the Droid. You have 30 days to try it out extensively. If you don't like it, return it and drop the additional line.

EDIT: If you decide to return the Droid, if it is within 15 days, the $35 activation fee will also be refunded, if it was initially charged.

If you have a feature phone in a drawer somewhere, take your Tour off your main line so you aren't paying for the BB email/data plan as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by xliderider; 11-20-09 at 05:49 PM.
    11-20-09 05:12 PM
    I never owned a Tour, I switched to a Droid from my Storm 1 so I can't speak specifically about the Tour. Based on my experiences with other BB's, I'd say you will be very happy with a Droid if using it for personal/non business use. The web browsing blows my Storm away. Loading any webpage with graphics is so much faster on the Droid.

The selection of Apps/Games is much better on the Droid also. The Android Market is much better than the Blackberry. It's faster, has more apps, and you never have to reboot to install or remove apps.

There are a couple drawbacks for me though. One is email, BB just can't be beat here. Another one is instant messaging, I have been having trouble with Google Talk. I miss BB Messenger.

Unless you use your phone for business purposes, I'd say you wouldn't look back if you switched to a Droid. I love mine.
    11-20-09 05:13 PM
    Why don't you add a line to your acct and get the Droid. You have 30 days to try it out extensively. If you don't like it, return it and drop the additional line.

If you have a feature phone in a drawer somewhere, take your Tour off your main line so you aren't paying for the BB email/data plan as well.

+2!.............
    11-20-09 05:14 PM
    thanks for the advice, so your saying the email is better on the blackberry?
    i have gmail on my blackberry, and also another email address from my local service provider, i'm wondering how the android would work with that? it takes 10 minutes or more with my blackberry, but instant with gmail,
    and i think i'll also miss bbm, please keep on posting so i can get kind of an average on what you would recommend me, hows the keyboard compared to the tour?
    11-20-09 05:48 PM
    hows the keyboard compared to the tour?
    I didn't like the keyboard on the Tour.

The Droid's isn't the best either, but it isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I bought the Droid mainly because it has the physical keyboard, but I rarely use it now because the virtual keyboards are so good (especially landscape).
    11-20-09 05:52 PM
    Email, instant messaging, great keyboards and security is strengths of the BB. Web browsing, apps, UI, are the noticable strengths of android and the droid. The rest is opinion.

11-20-09 06:03 PM
    can anyone tell me where email is a strength with a BB compared to the droid?
    11-20-09 06:05 PM
    My advice, don't get too caught up with the Motorola droid itself. Go to the store and see if you can test out other devices too. I settled on the Hero after testing a few different Android devices out. Lots to choose from right now.

11-20-09 06:26 PM
    Email, instant messaging, great keyboards and security is strengths of the BB. Web browsing, apps, UI, are the noticable strengths of android and the droid. The rest is opinion.

I think it depends on whether you are using Gmail, Exchange, etc. I use exclusively Gmail and it is far superior on my Droid than it was on my Tour....not a little better, significantly better. You'd expect that coming from a Google OS. As far as IM goes, I knew one whole person who used BBM, I know many who use Gtalk. Gtalk is just as easy to use, and just as fast. The Tour keyboard was good, I'll admit that, but the physical keyboard on the Droid is not horrible like some people say, and the virtual keyboards are VERY good. And SMS, Droid has true threaded SMS. The Tour does not have that UNLESS you download and install a leaked OS 5.0. And why should I have to download and install ANYTHING leaked to get that functionality. I didn't realize how much I wanted threaded SMS until I had it. With the Tour, I was always like, no big deal I can live without it.

Now, if you need security in your device, BB all the way. There is NO dispute. If you are using it for business with lots of Corporate integration through BES, again BB no question. I will note, however, that a lot of people are using corporate Exchange with the Droid and are very happy, IF their admin knows how to and is willing to set up ActiveSync correctly for the Droid to get the most benefit. Still, let's face it, on BES, Exchange is awesome with the BB.

Having used the Tour since Day one, and having been on my third Tour by the time I got the Droid, I should note that in 2 weeks, I have not had to pull a battery or reboot once. I have not had anything lock up, and have not had the Droid reboot on my without warning. I take that back, I did reboot once to see how long it took. 30 seconds compared to 5-6 minutes on my Tour.

I was not unhappy with the Tour. To be honest, if 5.0 had been officially released before the Droid, I might have looked no further, but I did and I haven't looked back.

To the OP, take the advice about adding a line to check it out.
    11-20-09 06:55 PM
    This is what I did. So I still have my tour and I get to keep the Droid, best of both worlds

EDIT: If you decide to return the Droid, if it is within 15 days, the $35 activation fee will also be refunded, if it was initially charged.

11-21-09 07:29 AM
    I didn't like the keyboard on the Tour.

The Droid's isn't the best either, but it isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I bought the Droid mainly because it has the physical keyboard, but I rarely use it now because the virtual keyboards are so good (especially landscape).

I tried out the droid, but I just couldnt type correctly on both keyboards.

I kept getting too many letters.
    11-21-09 07:47 AM
    This is what I did. So I still have my tour and I get to keep the Droid, best of both worlds

If he were to cancel his 2nd line (after 30 days) in order to keep the Droid, wouldn't he have to pay the new $350 ETF fee?

That would bring the cost of the Droid up to $584 ($199 + $350 + $35).
    11-21-09 08:20 AM
    I will say that I am BB man all day long...I always have been. I have owned every type of Blackberry from every carrier and I will have to say...

I love my droid. I am very impressed with the web browsing and the key boards are great. As with any device you have to get used to them. Once you learn where to touch, you will be OK.

I go back and forth between the physical keyboard and the touch cause they both work very well for me.

The sound, picture quality and video clarity are great. I have never had a device like this...EVER...

The voice recognition is amazingly accurate...I can not believe that with out having to do voice adaption it know exactly what i am saying and has not messed up yet...

The WiFi is just a bonus. I have only turned it on 2 times in the last week...The 3G network is plenty fast enough, and sometimes is faster than my computer. I have stopped carrying my laptop cause I just don't need it anymore.

The only one complaint I have as of right now is that when the WiFi is on, Verizons Visual voice mail wont update. Other than that I have been 200% happy with the Droid...

This is my take on switching...

Oh and one more thing. The whole email thing...Gmail is pushed to the phone. So you can have set up labels in your gmail and have your gmail pull in almost any other email and you will still be able to see what email address it was sent to...

This is the first "Phone" I have ever got my hands on that I can honesty say...I don't need to search for a better device...and that is saying a lot coming from me, a person who spends about $2000.00-$3000.00 a year on cell phones (its a hobby, not an addiction)...

This is my take on the whole switching to the Droid...
    11-21-09 08:38 AM
    thanks for the info, so basically what i'm gathering here is if i wouldn't miss the bbm then the droid would be a better option for me? i really don't care about security, or is that an issue? im noticing people keep saying bb is more secure
    11-21-09 10:12 AM
    I posted a trade ad earlier, but i guess i wasn't allowed to trade on this forum, but anyways, post was deleted and i'm wondering if you guys would recommend me doing that trade, or do you think i would want my tour back after a week, give me your honest opinion, and please!!!! no bashing or negative attitude comments,
    well, i went from tour to droid and i love it. i think i visit the market place for free stuff more than anything else i do on the phone. but i digress. the phone is awesome. calls are clear, i get great battery life, browser if very fast...etc. the bb's are email machines and there is no substitute. but if you can afford to wait a few more seconds to get your emails, this will not be a major issue. i have hotmail and gmail on my droid and both come pretty fast. gmail within seconds and hotmail in about a minute. good luck
    11-21-09 10:50 AM
    thanks for the info, so basically what i'm gathering here is if i wouldn't miss the bbm then the droid would be a better option for me? i really don't care about security, or is that an issue? im noticing people keep saying bb is more secure
    DO NOT worry about people talking about the BB being more secure. The only people who need to worry about a phone being secure are corporate IT depts who want to place restrictions on what the phone can do. Companies can restrict features on what their users can do on a BB. But no you dont have to worry about viruses or hackers on your Droid if thats what youre thinking.
    11-21-09 12:32 PM
    well, i went from tour to droid and i love it. i think i visit the market place for free stuff more than anything else i do on the phone. but i digress. the phone is awesome. calls are clear, i get great battery life, browser if very fast...etc. the bb's are email machines and there is no substitute. but if you can afford to wait a few more seconds to get your emails, this will not be a major issue. i have hotmail and gmail on my droid and both come pretty fast. gmail within seconds and hotmail in about a minute. good luck
    I have actually noticed no difference in the time emails get to me between a bb and a droid. It seems the same but I had BIS not BES on the bb. On the droid I can set when the service checks for emails if I don't want them pushed immediately, so I don't hear my phone buzz every couple minutes, it is very nice. My pockets are so much lighter and roomier these days!
    11-21-09 12:59 PM
    You know, I can't take my Tour's screen seriously anymore

Joking aside, I've been using BB a very long time and still have two on the back burner. But in my opinion, the Droid trumps my BBs in almost every department with the exception of email. But as johnly mentioned, its nice not to have my phone buzz with emails every 3 seconds.
    11-21-09 01:06 PM
    If you're not a corporate BES user you should be very happy with either the Droid or the Eris.

I personally have had my Hero for 1 1/2 months now and love it. At first I wondered WTF I did because of the virtual keyboard, once I calibrated it to my touch it's been great.

What I don't miss about my Tour, battery pulls, rebooting after installing or uninstalling a program or a theme, the bulk, tackball issue, and loose battery door.

The Hero beats the Tour hands down in my personal experience.
    11-21-09 01:41 PM
    What I don't miss about my Tour, battery pulls, rebooting after installing or uninstalling a program or a theme, the bulk, tackball issue, and loose battery door.
    This. I for the life of me cant figure out how people are accepting of random reboots for no apparent reason. That is the biggest peeve of BBs. Ever since the Storm 1 came out, then with the Tour, they seem to randomly reboot for no reason. So annoying. Oh and then after the reboot it takes 6 minutes for your phone to come back up fully. You could miss something important in that time!
    11-21-09 02:42 PM
    Anybody see a difference in signal strength between blackberrys and the Droid? i live in the middle of the woods and so far Blackberries are the only phones that have been able to get a signal at my home.

11-21-09 04:46 PM
    This. I for the life of me cant figure out how people are accepting of random reboots for no apparent reason. That is the biggest peeve of BBs. Ever since the Storm 1 came out, then with the Tour, they seem to randomly reboot for no reason. So annoying. Oh and then after the reboot it takes 6 minutes for your phone to come back up fully. You could miss something important in that time!
    I'm with you JoJo, that was the deciding factor for me, got tired of going to use my phone and seeing it rebooting by itself.
    11-21-09 05:12 PM
    The activation fee only gets credited back if you cancel with 72 hours, not fifteen days.
    11-21-09 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD