Hi Forum,

I currently have a BB 9700, and I'm on my 4th replacement in which the trackpad is now giving me problems. Talking with ATT warranty dept, they offered my the opportunity to try a totally different make/model. The name Captivate came up. I checked out the specs on the site, and 16gb memory, the browser speed and the large screen seem very tempting...however I do love my BB. I asked for the Torch and was told it wasn't being offered as a warranty exchange. So I would like to hear from Captivate owners what do you like/dislike about your phone if you don't mind sharing. While I'm a BB fan, it was my first and only smartphone, so it would be interesting to try out something new. The bad thing is if I don't like it I'm stuck with it until my upgrade which is 6 mos away.

Any thoughts shared would be very much appreciated.
    TIA
    10-12-10 10:48 AM
    You should try if for a few weeks....user experiences here are like predicting the weather a year from now....some may inform you and be close, but others will just dump on your thoughts. User experience is the only way...I have the SGS and I love it. It has some bugs, but my droid had just as many at launch. Fast and beautiful. I hear k9, nimbuzz, help in the chat/unified email department...k9 is spendy while nimbuzz is free. I owned a blackberry for years, and switching made me happy...that doesn't mean you will, but it can't hurt to try it out
    10-12-10 11:53 AM
    You should try if for a few weeks....user experiences here are like predicting the weather a year from now....some may inform you and be close, but others will just dump on your thoughts. User experience is the only way...I have the SGS and I love it. It has some bugs, but my droid had just as many at launch. Fast and beautiful. I hear k9, nimbuzz, help in the chat/unified email department...k9 is spendy while nimbuzz is free. I owned a blackberry for years, and switching made me happy...that doesn't mean you will, but it can't hurt to try it out
    Thank you for your input, you make a very good, valid point. My only concern is I can't return it if I don't like it since it's a warranty exchange. That's why i'm hestitant.
    10-12-10 11:56 AM
    Sure man. I would go in and reboot one, use it for a bit, perform vital functions, then walk away and read ans many captivate forums as possibler. Take phone reviews very lightly...they are always innervated with biased ship. Good luck. I thought you still get 30 though?
    10-12-10 12:14 PM
    Sure man. I would go in and reboot one, use it for a bit, perform vital functions, then walk away and read ans many captivate forums as possibler. Take phone reviews very lightly...they are always innervated with biased ship. Good luck. I thought you still get 30 though?
    I would if I this were a new contract. But this is in essence just an exchange for the 9700, or they will send me another refurb 9700 if I want.
    10-12-10 12:18 PM
    Captivate's a very nice phone. You should get it. Here are a couple of things to be wary about coming from a 9700.

1. Shorter battery life.
    2. If you're on BES, you can't use it with Captivate.
    3. It doesn't have a physical keyboard. For some that's a dealbreaker.
    4. GPS can be a bit flaky.

Otherwise, the Captivate is better than a 9700 in just about every aspect. I'm sure some of the BB faithful will chime in and mention keyboard shortcuts and some other minor things like font resizing.
    10-12-10 12:24 PM
    Are you happy with the 9700? If so, get another one. I don't know if your phone is corporate...as in will IT be able to pug your SGS in their exchange? If you are using it for personal use, I would recommend the captivate...it has a lot of love in the developer community, and has a good feel and speed. Why no IPhone?
    10-12-10 12:25 PM
    Why no IPhone?
    She's getting a warranty exchange. iPhone only exchanges for another iPhone. No exceptions.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-12-10 at 03:22 PM. Reason: OP is female, unless it's a guy named Alicia.
    10-12-10 12:27 PM
    OK......makes sense.....So with at&t he couldn't throw down the difference and get an iphone? Yikes, I guess at&t is really a subdivision of apple. Any ways..thanks
    10-12-10 12:54 PM
    Yes I'm happy with my 9700, but I've had so many issues, I'm wary of getting yet another defective refurb. And I was viewing this as a golden opportunity to test the waters as I mentioned BB has been my only smart phone experience. I went into an ATT store to check it out, and OMG its a lovely, lovely device. The screen had me speechless for a brief moment I really appreciate all the input. Thankfully I'm BIS so that wont be an issue. I've read a few reviews online regarding the GPS, hopefully that can be fixed with an update.

So I decided to take the plunge, the Captivate is on its way to me..Yay!
    BTW, my name is Alicia Hopefully this will be a good experience for me. I guess I need to start researching this forum as much as possible to learn as much as I can.
    10-12-10 01:43 PM
    I don't think you will be disappointed Alicia.....I love my SGS.....
    John.

The GPS took several minutes to lock on, but it is good now. If it has been off for awhile and you plan on using it, just fire it up a little early. I am sure another update is coming with a fix. I guess froyo is already running well according to an internal email at samsung...should be soon...
    10-12-10 01:49 PM
    The Captivate is nice, but it looks like Samsung is doing a shoddy job with fixing the GPS issue.
    10-12-10 02:34 PM
    If you want to dive head first into the world of Android with the Captivate. Go and check this out:

[APP]SuperOneClick v1.4 (Root, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers
    10-12-10 03:26 PM
    I highly recommend getting the Captivate...
    10-12-10 03:31 PM
    If you want to dive head first into the world of Android with the Captivate. Go and check this out:

[APP]SuperOneClick v1.4 (Root, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers
    thanks for this info! I'm going to need all the help I can get.
    10-12-10 03:38 PM
    I highly recommend getting the Captivate...
    That's great to know, I didn't know you left BB.
    Seeing it in person really helped. I feel better about my decision, I'm actually excited. Is there a particular Droid forum that I should check out?
    10-12-10 03:39 PM
    That's great to know, I didn't know you left BB.
    Seeing it in person really helped. I feel better about my decision, I'm actually excited. Is there a particular Droid forum that I should check out?
    Yes, I got the Droid 2 on release and could not be happier. It's what I was wanting from a Smartphone. I recommend Android Central, which is one of CB's sister sites. You will love Android and the features, the multi-tasking is awesome and the speed is unreal. Congrats...
    10-12-10 03:43 PM
    i went from a bold 9000 to an iphone 3g back to the bold 9000 to an iphone 3gs then the captivate. the captivate is a great phone, my ONLY drawback right now is this damn gps. it ablsolutely sucks. so just know ahead of time that apps like google maps, navigator and foursquare are going to either not work, or not work properly. i have been thru 3 captivates (one with a bottom piece that was loose, and one with a back piece that was loose) i'm on the third now. i am a little ocd with my phones though so me exchanging them isnt a reflection on build quality in general. if you have gmail, you cant go wrong with most android phones. the froyo beta is floating out there and has fixed the gps issues for some, but not all. i havent done it yet only becuase everything else on my phone works and i dont wanna screw that up. the screen is amazing and i'm getting pretty good battery life after a short break in period. right now i've had the phone unplugged for 9hrs and 29 minutes and i'm at 52% battery. pretty light use today, but it will normally make it a good 12 hours or more. i thnk you should be pretty pleased. just remember that its not a blackberry, android is an entirely different beast. go in with an open mind, and know that it will be a learning curve. not too bad, but it is there. you should be good
    10-12-10 04:35 PM
    I recommend Android Central, which is one of CB's sister sites. You will love Android and the features, the multi-tasking is awesome and the speed is unreal. Congrats...
    Unlike the unicycles of the competition.....Multi DI Decca....(choice for the lamb/newly) One vs many.....home of the tribe (god I love being me....)
    10-12-10 10:30 PM
    Been checking out Android Central, and the earlier post is so true, droid is a different beast! Wonder how long its going to take me to get up and running, . And I keep seeing "rooting" that's making me nervous.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-10 11:34 PM
    it is ridiculously easy.....prerequisites are English
    10-12-10 11:57 PM
    Excuse the totally newb question, but what's sgs? I assume it's Samung Galaxy S, and is this correction. What kind of connection issues are you having, is there something I can do to avoid this problem?
    10-13-10 09:24 AM
    you are right.....connection issues are web related.......almost an hour and a half of nothing last night......it may be my phone......
    10-13-10 09:25 AM
    And I keep seeing "rooting" that's making me nervous.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It is much easier than upgrading the firmware on a Blackberry.
    10-13-10 10:38 AM
    It is much easier than upgrading the firmware on a Blackberry.
    Wow that's good to know. I got all excited when I received my delivery from ATT today thinking I was about to began my android experience...and those dang id!oits only sent the base!!!! So I still don't have my phone yet. What a huge bummer
    10-13-10 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD