Why Android will die - The Term Sheet: Fortune's deals blog Term Sheet

I found this article interesting, does it relate to RIM? If Android splinters, does it open a crack for Blackberry to fill?

Michaelaw
    vzw8830 likes this.
    01-11-12 07:49 PM
    The way things are looking, RIM will probably die long before Android.

War Is All We Know
    01-11-12 08:02 PM
    It does. I think the average consumer wants to buy-into an ecosystem and RIM is currently developing a good one.

Android fragmentation is good for RIM. Android has too many 'players'
    01-11-12 08:09 PM
    It does. I think the average consumer wants to buy-into an ecosystem and RIM is currently developing a good one.

Android fragmentation is good for RIM. Android has too many 'players'
    Please !!!! Android just finished putting Steve Jobs in his grave.
    01-11-12 08:15 PM
    I don't see what you mean with this statement. I doubt Jobs was concerned about Android
    01-11-12 08:24 PM
    I don't see what you mean with this statement. I doubt Jobs was concerned about Android
    Oh, he was very much concerned about Android.

I think people exaggerate the difficulty of dealing with all the different Android devices. It does add time (especially in testing), but it's not *that* bad.

What happens though is that because of the variation in screens and GPUs, you end up with a lowest common denominator design. And so the apps don't look at crisp as they do on iOS and you do end up making some UX compromises along the way. But that's because with so little variation in Apple screens, you can push your design harder on that side.

But other than that, I don't think developers sit here and worry about the fragmentation quite as much as people think. It was a lot to learn at first and build into your process (again, especially testing). But I think people know how to do it now.

BTW, RIM could end up with much of the same problem if they do half screen devices to satisfy the current base, while doing full screen devices to attract new customers. I want to see how their UI framework will handle that when it comes out.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-11-12 at 08:32 PM.
    01-11-12 08:29 PM
    LOL...

Check out the author's bio, and the firms he represents. You'll see who pays him.

Why do those Android manufacturers continue to pay Microsoft royalties? Because even still, they are making money hand over fist. Free + $5 (estimated) per handheld? Smasung is laughing all he way to the bank. You think they care that Android bought Moto Mo? When they are getting the only ecosystem that can compete with Apple? Duh.

A couple of his points were fairly silly, but the important question is: if Google pulls the plug on Android, who gains? Where will those users go? Google doesn't lose, and i bet iOS gains on RIM.
    01-11-12 08:43 PM
    Six years with bb! Then over to iPhone! Bb Gona die way before any one else does. I still don't care for android though! Not for iPhone either. But had to choose.
    01-11-12 09:26 PM
    The networks are so in love with android. They hate Apple's business tactics and they hate the Rim royalties. That's the only reason android has gotten so far. And they'll be solid for a long long time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-12 09:39 PM
    Is this a joke? Android market share in the US is nearing 50% and 700,000 Android devices are activated everyday.
    01-11-12 09:55 PM
    There's always a possibility but with the way things are going I highly doubt it.

01-11-12 11:18 PM
    His points in the article didn't even seem relevant to me, especially not for killing off an entire OS, which (as Karmaloop pointed out) is currently activating 700,000 devices per day.

I'm pretty sure Android is here to stay. We may see some competitors building phones with it drop out of the game over time, but that wouldn't hurt my feelings any. And even if somehow the Android plug was pulled, I'd find something else out there that would suit my needs just fine.
    01-12-12 08:01 AM
    I think if Google sets certain restrictions and limit the number of skins or UI out there, Android would be in a better place. I've used all three operating systems and I like some things for each one. But Android best suits me at this point. Just tired of sense and waiting for the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint.
    01-12-12 08:08 AM
    Jobs postponed needed cancer treatment to try and get a jump on Android,he vowed to destroy it and ultimately lost in the end.
    01-12-12 11:22 AM
    Supposedly Android was to die after the G1 flopped. Didn't happen. Supposedly the iPhone 4 was the last nail in the coffin for Android. Didn't happen. Supposedly the iPhone 4s was the beginning of the end for Android. Didn't happen. Supposedly the iPhone coming to Verizon was the end of Android as we know it. Didn't happen, in fact it was only small bump on the way.

Android's here to stay....for a looong time. These jokers from CNN Money and other Apple b utt-kisser sites get paid to write sensationalist articles to rile up the crowd.
    01-12-12 10:18 PM
    sorry folks .. as a recently converted Android user, yall is nuts. I can do everything better - messenging, research, production, down time, social media... list goes on .. Android is going nowhere, and if it did (just to play along) - BB gone wayyyyy before.

Galaxy Nexus signing off
    01-12-12 10:34 PM
    KoLo. how IS your Nexus? I'm getting one tomorrow. I'm less than thrilled based on other Androids I've tried. I'm hoping this ICS thing will change everything for me. (seriously, no sarcasm).
    So what do you think of the phone?

01-12-12 11:22 PM
    OP, and gone. Troll. Accept the fact that Android is here to stay, and your BB is going the way of the dinosaur.
    Last edited by Spotmark; 01-13-12 at 06:14 AM.
    01-13-12 06:12 AM
    Supposedly Android was to die after the G1 flopped. Didn't happen. Supposedly the iPhone 4 was the last nail in the coffin for Android. Didn't happen. Supposedly the iPhone 4s was the beginning of the end for Android. Didn't happen. Supposedly the iPhone coming to Verizon was the end of Android as we know it. Didn't happen, in fact it was only small bump on the way.

Android's here to stay....for a looong time. These jokers from CNN Money and other Apple b utt-kisser sites get paid to write sensationalist articles to rile up the crowd.
    The strong point in the article was, if Google starts focusing on Motorola phones and making other hand set makers second class, then Androie will be replaced by habset makers angry over the competetion from Motorola/Andriod/Google. Google weakly says it has no intention of getting involved with Motorola handsets, stating they will allow their corporate property to sct independently. So, if I was making my livlyhood selling phones with someone other handset makers os, well, i would be very concerned.

Michaelaw
    01-13-12 06:35 AM
    The strong point in the article was, if Google starts focusing on Motorola phones and making other hand set makers second class, then Androie will be replaced by habset makers angry over the competetion from Motorola/Andriod/Google. Google weakly says it has no intention of getting involved with Motorola handsets, stating they will allow their corporate property to sct independently. So, if I was making my livlyhood selling phones with someone other handset makers os, well, i would be very concerned.

Michaelaw
    No.

I have said it elsewhere: corporations cannot afford to have feelings. Samsung, for instance, can supposedly pout all day long about Google and Moto holding hands, but in the end, they will go with the free ecosystem that is making them money hand over fist.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    01-13-12 06:43 AM
    KoLo. how IS your Nexus? I'm getting one tomorrow. I'm less than thrilled based on other Androids I've tried. I'm hoping this ICS thing will change everything for me. (seriously, no sarcasm).
    So what do you think of the phone?
    What other Android phones did you try prior? And what were some of the issues you had?
    01-13-12 09:06 AM
    Yes, Android killed Steve Jobs. I'm sure owning more than half of all mobile revenue and and having the number one selling device on all the major US carriers that offer the iPhone killed him...
    01-13-12 06:35 PM
    The last thing I think we'll see is a quick death of android. ICS is working to alleviate fragmentation. It had been getting better and better with each new version. Motorola's patent win today will also help since that is one of the Apple monkeys of their back.

BB has had worse fragmentation than Android. From different screen resolutions, to having to develop for at least the different OS versions, it can be a nightmare. BB apps that work on GSM don't always work on CDMA. I would have to test on a large set of devices just to release a BB app. QNX might help with that, but it will add to the fragmentation since RIM will have QNX and BB7 devices out at the same time.

At the same time, I think competition is a good thing. Hopefully RIM will be able to get back into the game, if only to keep other OS systems innovating and improving.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    01-13-12 08:26 PM
    No, there are too many developers devoted to refining the experience for each and every device

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-13-12 10:34 PM
    Supposedly Android was to die after the G1 flopped.
    G1 flopped? Are you serious?

I know the phone didn't sell as well as iPhone from 2008, or BlackBerry Curve from 2008, but here in the US at least, t-mo sold a lot of them. I don't know the actual numbers, but we used to sell several G1s every day. And that was just one T-Mobile store in one city.

Sorry for going off topic here.
    01-15-12 09:10 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD