For the experts out there or those with informed opinions, why isn't the Nexus One a world phone?

To be more specific (and US centric), it seems Google would have been better served if Nexus One could work on CDMA (Sprint and VZW) and GSM (AT&T and T-Mo).

From a distribution standpoint, the device just seems like any old Android model that is available (or will be) on multiple carriers but the user still needs to choose a side.

I was pretty excited about the Nexus One distribution until yesterday.

If it was a device consumers could pay $500-$600 for and work on ANY mobile provider in the US without a contract, consumers would be all over it. That would be a game changer.

Is such a device possible? It seems the Storm can work on both CDMA and GSM in the US. Are we essentially looking at the fact that the carriers still wield a powerful stick and can force manufacturers (HTC/Google) to do what they want from a distribution perspective?
    01-06-10 12:04 PM
    Most likely it's a cost issue. Selling one version with a GSM chip and one with a CDMA chip makes each unit cheaper than if every phone had both chips. Notice that not every RIM phone is both GSM & CDMA - that is cost prohibitive. They do have some models that are as they traditionally cater to business consumers, to whom that feature is attractive/necessary. The average non-business consumer does not require a phone that can go GSM to CDMA and back.
    Another possibility is that Google could not reach an agreement with Verizon or Sprint to let Nexus One ESN's on their network if the phone is also made fully functionally (3G) for other carriers (T-Mobile). The CDMA carriers do not let other carriers' phones on their networks. I wouldn't be surprised if (eventually) there is a Verizon Nexus One and a Sprint Nexus One that cannot switch between CDMA carriers.
    01-06-10 01:08 PM
    The Verizon phone should have the Qualcomm QSD 8650 chip in it (I think?) that will be both CDMA and GSM. There is no Snapdragon chip that is CDMA only that I have seen. That means it will only be a matter of requesting that it do both and not a space/hardware packaging issue. I suspect that when it actually gets here the Verizon phone will have GSM capabilities, but no U.S. 3G frequencies. Basically the same setup as the Storm and Tour. That will keep the phone locked to VZW for 3G while allowing world capabilities. Hopefully this will be the case, but who knows? I probably won't buy one if it's CDMA only. I'll either buy another option (if available) or (gasp!) switch carriers. We'll see...
    01-06-10 01:22 PM
    gsm > cdma. when are ppl going to learn?
    01-06-10 01:39 PM
    In what respect? Just because of the availability/worldwide use or does it have actual usage advantages?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-10 01:51 PM
    In what respect? Just because of the availability/worldwide use or does it have actual usage advantages?
    simultaneous voice/data, ability to use any GSM phone by swapping your SIM, faster possible speeds
    01-06-10 01:56 PM
    simultaneous voice/data, ability to use any GSM phone by swapping your SIM, faster possible speeds
    Ok. So other than the availability the only thing that gsm has over cdma is simultaneous voice/data. CDMA is more reliable, it allows for more calls on one tower, it is more secure. No? So I guess it's a pro/con thing?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-10 02:45 PM
    The Verizon phone should have the Qualcomm QSD 8650 chip in it (I think?) that will be both CDMA and GSM. There is no Snapdragon chip that is CDMA only that I have seen. That means it will only be a matter of requesting that it do both and not a space/hardware packaging issue. I suspect that when it actually gets here the Verizon phone will have GSM capabilities, but no U.S. 3G frequencies. Basically the same setup as the Storm and Tour. That will keep the phone locked to VZW for 3G while allowing world capabilities. Hopefully this will be the case, but who knows? I probably won't buy one if it's CDMA only. I'll either buy another option (if available) or (gasp!) switch carriers. We'll see...

According to google's site, it already states that the Verizon version will only be CDMA, and not Dual Band with GSM Capabilities. Google wants to have control over which networks are able to use their phone.
    01-06-10 04:34 PM
    GSM has been proven NOT to be faster than CDMA 90% of the time. CDMA is 10x more reliable and stable (in the US) than GSM. And ofcourse in the US there are 20 times more CDMA towers than GSM towers which is why CDMA has a larger 3G Coverage area than AT&T's GSM. Has any of you seen the Tmobile network coverage? Has the WORST possible voice/data coverage ever.

And who really uses their phone to talk and to browse the web at the same time? now come on. lol.

"let me put you on speaker so I can browse the web!"
    01-06-10 04:38 PM
    remember beta max vs vhs?

blu-ray vs hd-dvd?

any1?
    01-06-10 04:42 PM
    GSM has been proven NOT to be faster than CDMA 90% of the time. CDMA is 10x more reliable and stable (in the US) than GSM.
    Oh I'm well aware that in actual speeds CDMA wins (see Verizon vs AT&T), that's why I said in possible speeds GSM wins. I really wanted at least 3 points of why GSM was better - and it was a stretch lol.
    01-06-10 06:52 PM
    SNIP....The average non-business consumer does not require a phone that can go GSM to CDMA and back.
    .....SNIP
    I am a "prosumer" and have used both GSM and CDMA on my Storm for business and personal use. That said, the reason I think the device should have both is to allow consumers to switch carriers whenever they want with the same device.
    01-07-10 09:42 AM
    Who cares? The bottom line is the country is fractured and regardless of which technology is better, it would be nice if a company could figure out a way to force carriers to give consumers a choice without requiring a device be coded to their network and forced into a contract.

The point of the thread is Nexus One is not game changing. A game changing device would work on any carrier without a contract by placing a call to the carrier and signing up. I understand why carriers do not want consumers to have that option but they didn't want number portability either.
    01-07-10 09:46 AM
    Well here is what is hilarious about all the GSM/CDMA debates and especially those Luke Wilson Ad's Has anyone ever been actually on and surfing the web at the same time? I mean actually talking to someone and let's say posting on crackberry?
    01-07-10 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD