So this is a list of some reasons why I will be leaving Blackberry for Android. Before I start I'll give a short background of where I've been and come from. I have been using Blackberries now for almost 8 years, with my most recent devices being the 8320, 8900 and 9700.

I have loved them all and never had a single issue with any of them that wasn't solvable. They have all worked and worked well. In fact that's one of the reasons I have loved Blackberry so much is that it just works.

That being said, I have also owned and played around with other devices during my BB ownership. The first Android phone I toyed with was a Nexus One. I was impressed. But the Wow factor wasn't quite enough for me to leave. However, one thing that has continued to bother me about BB and RIM is the limitations placed on developers and apps and API management/integration.

The BB OS has for all intents and purposes not evolved much over the years. The UI has seen some changes but the overall OS is unchanged. There has been no innovation and an almost lack of desire on RIM's part to change that.

I recently purchased the Sprint Evo. I rooted the device less than a week into ownership and I will say that I love the device. It does have some drawbacks [like the network it's on]. The Wi-Fi is very weak and the 8MP camera sacrifices quality for large MP count. The HTC Sense UI is very nice and organizes everything on the phone extremely well.

I do at times miss the physical keyboard but Android has a built in typing calibration utility that adapts to the user's style of typing which makes it fast to adjust to.

As stated before, I don't like Sprint [not bashing or trying to start a 'my network is better than your network' flame war]. I've been with every carrier there is and T-mo works perfect for ME. After all this is about me, not you.

So, after extended use, toying around and weighing options, I have decided that I will leave Blackberry for Android. I will wait on T-mo to get in a new device [HTC Desire perhaps] or the Samsung Galaxy S.

No Blackberry made can match the 1Ghz. proc that almost all Android phones are running and the UI can't be matched by RIM on any level.

Sure there will be those who will try and argue that the BB does this or that better. To them I would say as a BB owner for 8 years....BS. Everything I could do on my BB I can do on Android. Whether it be push email for Gmail, POP3 or IMAP mail or Exchange, Android does it better. Did I mention that Android also supports Flash? Yep.

Even on Wi-Fi I have put both devices side by side and loaded a webpage and the Android loads so fast that the BB looks ancient.

I have included a couple pics of the Evo and 9700 side by side. I will be getting rid of the Evo soon and wait for T-mo and their next wave of Android phones to hit.

Enjoy. Hope this helps some of you.
    Last edited by 3CISSBB; 06-10-10 at 02:31 PM.
    06-10-10 02:25 PM
    I've been through 2 android phones and many blackberries in the past. Currently I love my 9700 despite the bugs that plague mine. I had alot of fun messing around with the android OS and truth be told the applications/games were alot more fun than anything i've seen on blackberry. That being said the 2 android phones I had were extremely underpowered and buggy. Im sure google has fixed the majority of the bugs since I used it but the form factor of any android phone I've seen doesnt match a blackberry. To each their own though. Ill choose RIM > Google.
    06-10-10 02:44 PM
    RIM: "Damn! There goes another one! I told you that the trackpad wouldn't be enough!"

Welcome to the light, friend!
    06-10-10 02:54 PM
    RIM: "Damn! There goes another one! I told you that the trackpad wouldn't be enough!"
    hahaha I just lol'ed.
    06-10-10 02:57 PM
    Originally Posted by BerryGroupie
    In my opinion, pulling out a BlackBerry while in a meeting says you're a serious professional.

Actually, pulling out your phone during a meeting is rude and inconsiderate.

Professionals mute their phone during meetings.
    06-10-10 02:59 PM
    My neighbor has an android...yes it is faster,quite nice but also the owner says it's like a copy of the iphone but made much better.For me 9700 is like an very serious phone because it has "respect",android is the phone for everyone,gives me the impression ...anyone can have that!Bb is only for few,something else,even if is not that good as android...i liked the iphone when it came out and i wanted one,but my wife said: you're just like them!
    I really do not want to tell no one what to get,every one makes their choices..and if you feel good with the android in your hands then you should go with it...remember,8 years were great,and now you just need to change,maybe you are bored in a way or another.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by macinmac; 06-10-10 at 03:30 PM.
    06-10-10 03:22 PM
    I thought the OP made a fair assessment and chose accordingly. His priorities in a smartphone may not be yours but that doesn't make him wrong.

I'm sure there are lots of people on this site that currently have and enjoy a blackberry but are considering the android OS for their next phone. Nothing wrong with that.

I thought his post was interesting. Not sure why he got such a venomous reaction.
    06-10-10 03:29 PM
    Crazy. Why does anyone get mad if he chooses a new phone? I like my phone and he is going to like his new phone. Seriously give the guy a break.
    Last edited by pkcable; 06-13-10 at 04:26 PM. Reason: content
    06-10-10 03:31 PM
    My neighbor has an android...
    and if you feel good with the android in your hands then you should go with it...
    What is an android?
    06-10-10 03:44 PM
    I used to have an android phone, i hated it. On BB, everything works and flows smoothly. Android feels unfinished, as if its not fully coded. The 1GHz proccessor could make the phone run so, so much faster, but even then Android stutters even when doing simple things like rendering the animation for switching pages. How come the 3GS can quickly switch pages with no animation lag, even with half the processing speed of new android phones?
    06-10-10 03:46 PM
    I used to have an android phone, i hated it. On BB, everything works and flows smoothly. Android feels unfinished, as if its not fully coded. The 1GHz proccessor could make the phone run so, so much faster, but even then Android stutters even when doing simple things like rendering the animation for switching pages. How come the 3GS can quickly switch pages with no animation lag, even with half the processing speed of new android phones?
    Simply not true.
    06-10-10 03:49 PM
    I honestly don't know why people feel so compelled to post the "left my BB for...." threads. Really, does anyone really care? Enjoy the new Android, hope it works well for you. Personally, having looked them over again and again and again, they're just not my cup of tea. To those who get their jollies by puffing their chests and claiming to have the best toy, I can only laugh. Isn't it past your bedtime?

My phone does EXACTLY what I want it to do and it does it well. I'm happy with my choice, but do not feel compelled to denigrate the choices of others.
    06-10-10 03:54 PM
    What is an android?

I am so sorry...i like to post on this forum..without any knowledge.
    06-10-10 03:55 PM
    Yea, OK, Bye. DId you want a going to the other side party thrown for you or would a simple "Dont let the door hit you in the ***" on your way out sufice
    06-10-10 03:58 PM
    I am so sorry...i like to post on this forum..without any knowledge.
    I dont get it. Are you referring to me??
    06-10-10 03:59 PM
    Another one bites the dust...you will be back, I tried two Andriod phones and quickly came back to BB...

OMG, imagine "the one" coming in a I am leaving BB thread...and bashing BB as always...waits for his side-kick "totalimoron" to have his say as well.

Don't the both of you get tried of typing the same BS over and over again?

Amazing you are on a BB forum still....get your rocks off don't ya? Funny!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-10 04:00 PM
    I honestly don't know why people feel so compelled to post the "left my BB for...." threads. Really, does anyone really care?
    How is this any different than "I just got my new BB xxxx" threads? Really, does anyone care?
    06-10-10 04:12 PM
    The resolution on the HTC looks terrible. I wouldn’t want one if it washed the dishes and did the laundry!
    06-10-10 04:25 PM
    if you being paying attention to mobile tech for a while you would have to concede 1 thing to droid. It has progressed and developed faster than iPhone and Berry. While Blackberry & iPhone both have their respective fanatic users/abusers-Android has entered the battle and IS making a dent. Hopefully RIM understands that it needs to position itself not only for today's market but for tomorrows market. If Android keeps developing at its current pace and IF RIM were NOT to implement significant improvements to its OS/Platform...you have to concede that Android will become the superior device.

I don't think that is the situation today. But it may be the situation in 2011 (which is only 6 months away)
    06-10-10 04:30 PM
    The resolution on the HTC looks terrible. I wouldn�t want one if it washed the dishes and did the laundry!
    Motorola's Droid has the same issue- screen appears washed out, can't even be seen in full sunlight. Doesn't compare to 9700 (even 8320 had better resolution).
    06-10-10 04:35 PM
    Motorola's Droid has the same issue- screen appears washed out, can't even be seen in full sunlight. Doesn't compare to 9700 (even 8320 had better resolution).
    I know! It hurts my eyes every time I look at this hideous screen!
    06-10-10 04:44 PM
    Everyone I know with a Droid hates them. Suckers.
    06-10-10 04:45 PM
    Everyone I know with a Droid hates them. Suckers.
    You bought the same phone twice, and we're suckers?
    06-10-10 04:47 PM
    Sure there will be those who will try and argue that the BB does this or that better. To them I would say as a BB owner for 8 years....BS. Everything I could do on my BB I can do on Android. Whether it be push email for Gmail, POP3 or IMAP mail or Exchange, Android does it better.
    Even on Wi-Fi I have put both devices side by side and loaded a webpage and the Android loads so fast that the BB looks ancient.
    These are my exact same sentiments. Bundle all those things with the
    magnifcent UI and unbelievable customization of screens and widgets, you
    just can't go wrong.

I don't think Android is for everyone as evidenced by the degeneration of
    this thread.
    06-10-10 04:49 PM
    Had to think about this one for a sec, I almost thought you were right...until I realized you were wrong, LOL.

Seriously, to some degree, you are right, but this is a BLACKBERRY forum, for those who like/love/use/want/lust after, Blackberries. So, to some degree, someone who just purchased a BB, would of course be welcomed and many users are all too happy to assist the newbie with any questions.

Why those who have left BB though, yet still return, time and time and time and time again, is beyond me. What's the point, if not to simply badger those who own and LIKE their devices? It's almost as though those who have left, feel compelled, geuninely compelled, to try and get others to follow them, as if they're the Pied Piper of all things smart phone.

If I chose to go over to Android, iPhone, WinMo or, God forbid, Palm, I'd leave and go hang out on those websites.

How is this any different than "I just got my new BB xxxx" threads? Really, does anyone care?
    06-10-10 05:17 PM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD