Why do you prefer Android to iOS, WP7, BlackBerry, Web OS, etc? Why is it your favorite mobile OS?

For me, its mainly the way the OS operates. It feels like a mini desktop. I can literally do anything I can do on my desktop on Android. Flash content, downloading files directly from the browser onto my SD card, openness that allows for things that aren't possible on other platforms like emulators and torrents, larger screens, and the homescreen set ups (instead of just swiping icon after icon I can make it look unique like a desktop PC and add widgets - which ultimately makes it look more visually appealing/less boring).

There are probably more but these are the main things. I also like iPhone, WP7 and BB but these are just some of the reasons I prefer Android. I'm no fanboy.
    Jonneh likes this.
    10-06-11 04:16 PM
    For myself..the main reason is customization, and "tinkering". I love how I can make the phone unique to me, as well as the speed with which I can get things done on it. Widgets are another big seller..and aid in the efficiency in which I can do things.

I tried WinMo way back in the day..and while it was my first true smartphone at the moment I just don't see myself going back that way. iPhone is the only platform I haven't spent a significant amount of time on..even though my wife has the i4 as well as an ipad2. While I think they are great devices for "non-techies" and easy to use..I'm just not sure how I would feel about using one on a day to day basis. I have a feeling I would get bored pretty fast. I had been considering getting the new iphone (before it was revealed)..but now even with the hardware I'm not sure I could go back to a 3.5" screen..although the geek in me is still tempted to try one and see if a jailbroken one could suit me or not.
    lssanjose likes this.
    10-06-11 04:29 PM
    Why do you prefer Android to iOS, WP7, BlackBerry, Web OS, etc? Why is it your favorite mobile OS?

For me, its mainly the way the OS operates. It feels like a mini desktop. I can literally do anything I can do on my desktop on Android. Flash content, downloading files directly from the browser onto my SD card, openness that allows for things that aren't possible on other platforms like emulators and torrents, larger screens, and the homescreen set ups (instead of just swiping icon after icon I can make it look unique like a desktop PC and add widgets - which ultimately makes it look more visually appealing/less boring).

There are probably more but these are the main things. I also like iPhone, WP7 and BB but these are just some of the reasons I prefer Android. I'm no fanboy.
    having owned BB's and several touchs (ie, I've used iOS for more than 3 years), I'm so happy with Android OS that I can't really put it ALL into words.

Despite apple fanatics not thinking a lot about Flash, I LIKE having Flash content displayed on my super speedy Bionic.

I like the notification system.

I like how I can talk to the phone to compose messages, as well as control the phone in other ways. awesome!

I like that I have a FREE maps app for turn-by-turn voice navigation!!!

I like the customization and the fact that it's not closed like iOS.

I like that the OS isn't "dummied-down" like iOS.

I don't like much of anything about the Windows phones.

I don't like the BB OS, as I've suffered plenty of issues with the Storm. I've looked at the very latest Verizon BB's and am still unimpressed.

I am totally happy with my decision to own an Android phone, and especially the bionic, in particular. I fully expect that the next phone I buy will also be an Android.
    10-06-11 04:35 PM
    For myself..the main reason is customization, and "tinkering". I love how I can make the phone unique to me, as well as the speed with which I can get things done on it. Widgets are another big seller..and aid in the efficiency in which I can do things.
    These are my exact reasons as well. I've done my widget demonstration a couple times on crackberry, but they're just SO convenient for me to have all my most needed info just a swipe away instead of having to dig into the OS to find the app that I need. I can go days without opening my app drawer.
    10-06-11 04:38 PM
    The fact it's community driven (when you're rooted): I can get updates more timely; and I have the ability to try out different ROMs to see how each performs on my particular phone; how I like its feel, etc.

The fact it can use a terminal environment to maintain, and tinker with your device. I'm not object to the command line interface (CLI) as I used to be, and find it very convenient.

I like how Google updates its apps, constantly (Maps, especially); and delivers its updates to Android, first. (Love self, so you can love others).

People can choose how their phones will function, as it pertains to individual tastes, and preferences. It doesn't try to mold you forcibly, like iOS (unless, jailbroken). AOSP (Android Open Source Project) is the reference, but it doesn't shove its ideas down its throat (look at Blur, Touchwiz, Sense - even though there are quirks with each, Google doesn't clamp it down).
    10-06-11 04:47 PM
    Even without rooting the customization options are pretty much endless. I can go from looking like this:

To this:

In a matter of seconds!

(edited to add: apparently my phone can also think I'm in two places at once, lol)
    10-06-11 04:53 PM
    Click to view quoted image

Lenexa!! I almost bought a house there a few years ago. Beautiful area--overland park, Lenexa, etc.
    10-06-11 05:04 PM
    Click to view quoted image

Lenexa!! I almost bought a house there a few years ago. Beautiful area--overland park, Lenexa, etc.
    When I'm at work my phone can't make up its mind between Olathe and Lenexa, and when I'm at home it can't choose between Overland Park and Mission.
    10-06-11 05:49 PM
    Ecosystem and customization. I can do a WHOLE lot, and I can do it the way I want.

You have to add the development community to the ecosystem. People who don't use Android simply won't understand this aspect.
    10-06-11 06:22 PM
    I like having a flash browser. I also use a lot of Google services such as Voice, Maps, Talk, Latitude, Navigation, Gmail, Search. Android has these services integrated the best.

I like using apps for certain things instead of the browser. For example Trip Advisor, Orbitz, Kayak. Android apps are very good, worlds great and are free.

I don't own a computer and I do everything on my Android device. I haven't come across any website that wouldn't load or function. Using Docs To Go is great on the big screen. I have my spreadsheet shortcuts on my screens.

I also love widgets! Having info at a glance is super productive.

I also like the way my contacts and calendar are synced. I have never lost either and there is no effort on my part, no manual backups.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-06-11 at 06:39 PM.
    1812dave likes this.
    10-06-11 06:37 PM
    ^^^ Cloud computing is a biggie for me...
    10-06-11 07:01 PM
    For me... it's the entire ecosystem that Google has always provided. Not just for Android, but for any platform. However with Android you get a lot more out of Google Services than any other mobile platform, which isn't surprising since Google will support Android before anything else.

Sure Apple, RIM, Microsoft, etc. are jumping into the cloud services game, but Google already had it in place before the "cloud" terminology even came into existence.

RIM has always had solid services behind it, but lacks extensibility (and are actively struggling to change that). Apple has always had a very simple line of products with a lot of polish (but their services are locked down tight). Android is a balance between them. While Android offers more services than its competitors, it doesn't specialize in any one area. While iPhone devices have a more polished UI for apps, Android has a better UI for the OS but arguably lacks in the polish on the UI within apps. While BB devices specialize more on specific services when it comes to messaging, email.etc.. Android offers many alternatives.

The key behind Android is that it is community driven among developers. It's akin to the same community that drives Linux. Unfortunately for Linux/Unix/BSD/etc.. Windows and Mac hold too much dominance, so it's a long endurance race that very well may be a lost cause. In the case of Mobile platforms though, the Mobile industry is still very young (relatively speaking), so projects like Android hold a very solid placement in the industry.

Despite the arguments that can be thrown around about whether Android is truly open-source or not, the key factor is that while Google is working on the base OS, there is a huge public developers movement that keeps it alive and progresses everyday. And it's working, more effectively than the open-source movement of desktop OS development.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 10-06-11 at 07:39 PM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-06-11 07:36 PM
    Well, I have to throw in, since the open source point is being brought up, there's more unity within the Android community, which is why I think it's picking up greater steam. The greatest issue among all the GNU/Linux distributions is package management, which Android doesn't have. The way to install, and remove things have little variation, when contrasted against each of the different distributions.

Gentoo, Ubuntu, arch, Linux From Scratch, Red Hat, and slackware have different package management systems, and requirements. Android doesn't have this dilemma. It doesn't matter which Android spin you use: AOSP, Sense, Blur, Touchwiz, the way you get around things are more or less universal, with little deviation.
    10-06-11 07:52 PM
    Android is the number one platform and by far the best OS. I just left android for a physical keyboard on a blackberry but I will admit which is the better one. I still keep my galaxy tab with me so android is never far away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-11 09:01 PM
    Android is the number one platform and by far the best OS. I just left android for a physical keyboard on a blackberry but I will admit which is the better one. I still keep my galaxy tab with me so android is never far away.

I've found it far easier to compose messages (emails, sms, etc) on my Bionic because of the voice recognition feature. No need for me to be concerned a whole lot by the lack of a real keyboard, which I've never liked on BB's or other portrait style KB's anyway--too small for me. I can speak entire sentences (or more) on the Bionic. truly awesome. the phone is great at screening out extraneous, loud sounds, so that I don't need to be "in a library" to compose a message.
    10-06-11 09:06 PM
    Google service's
    Endless amount of apps
    Free turn by turn navigation
    Browsing speed
    Launchers to change the look of your phone, which is simple and straightforward.
    Basically does what my desktop does.
    Awesome community /support.

With that said, will always love BB as they do certain things that I miss.

Chrisy and Jonneh like this.
    10-06-11 09:14 PM
    Because android is CHEAP, and apps are free and everyone can suck it up. Apple is kind of a rich folks phone.
    10-07-11 11:16 PM
    Because android is CHEAP, and apps are free and everyone can suck it up. Apple is kind of a rich folks phone.
    Lol..thanks for the laugh!
    10-08-11 09:45 AM
    LOL! can I add, that Apple is also for posers?
    10-08-11 10:57 AM
    LOL! can I add, that Apple is also for posers?
    A poser is a poser regardless of the product.

Android is cheap (not saying cheap quality, I mean actual price), I mean, it is free. The apps are basically the same price range as iOS app though. I have spent more money on iOS app due to having iOS devices longer. However, I did spend over $70 on Android apps and I only owned a Droid X and Droid. Every platform has expensive apps.
    10-08-11 11:11 AM

Android is cheap (not saying cheap quality, I mean actual price), I mean, it is free. The apps are basically the same price range as iOS app though. I have spent more money on iOS app due to having iOS devices longer. However, I did spend over $70 on Android apps and I only owned a Droid X and Droid. Every platform has expensive apps.
    Yep! Content is getting expensive, these days, especially books on android market

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    10-08-11 12:17 PM
    I have been with the Android platform over a year now and really prefer it over BB. I love the customization. I use Navigation a lot and having voice navigation FREE is awesome.
    Having flash and a true internet experience.......it is more like a mini computer for me than BB. Internet experience is much better. I also like the complete touch screen. I find it very easy to type on it. Like the widgets, the HTC Sense UI. Voice to text and it is very clear and concise. Docs to Go works well and other apps that I use. I don't have the issues I had with BB. My experience has been great.
    Chrisy and pantlesspenguin like this.
    10-08-11 11:39 PM
    I have been with the Android platform over a year now and really prefer it over BB. I love the customization. I use Navigation a lot and having voice navigation FREE is awesome.
    Having flash and a true internet experience.......it is more like a mini computer for me than BB. Internet experience is much better. I also like the complete touch screen. I find it very easy to type on it. Like the widgets, the HTC Sense UI. Voice to text and it is very clear and concise. Docs to Go works well and other apps that I use. I don't have the issues I had with BB. My experience has been great.
    My parents are in town to see me, and my mom kept talking about her BB rapidly losing its charge. Either way, they didn't have a GPS with their rental (though it's a huge four door [think ford cop car]). I hand my mom my phone, and she was impressed at how accurate navigation was. My dad, while at the coffee shop, saw how easy I made it look typing on the keyboard on-screen. But, being an AOSP homer, I still find it hard to recommend an Android device to someone like my mom - who is tech savvy (the reason why I got into tech in the first place) - but isn't tech savvy in the Android/developmental sense. I went through hoops to get a good experience out of my phone. And, I can't see my mom doing that.

That, said, that'd be the only way I get my mom on Android (since I'm such an AOSP homer). Plus, I'd have to explain to her Google's way of thinking.
    10-08-11 11:51 PM

no one is holding a gun to your head to make you buy apps. In all the years I've owned several platforms, and numerous devices, I've spent less than $15. that, of course, doesn't include s/w for my computers and PS3. games are expensive, but oh, so much fun!
    10-09-11 11:37 AM
    no one is holding a gun to your head to make you buy apps. In all the years I've owned several platforms, and numerous devices, I've spent less than $15. that, of course, doesn't include s/w for my computers and PS3. games are expensive, but oh, so much fun!
    I buy apps because I find them useful, and I do not mind supporting developers. I never claimed to be forced into buying apps, I decided to do so all by myself.

I have spent $200+ on apps across the platforms. Not a penny do I feel was wasted.

Don't get me started on video games. This holiday season (and beginning of next year) has so many great games coming out, that alone is going to kill my wallet lol.
    1812dave likes this.
    10-09-11 12:01 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD