I mean...its not like its a bad thing to have the option. If you dont like it then maybe you just shouldnt slide it? Or am i missing something here
    10-30-09 09:35 PM
    I think people have a problem with any moving parts because they tend to break a little easier.
    10-30-09 09:41 PM
    I can still remember the day that my nextel flip phone broke apart in my hands. When I went to flip it open to make a call. It was crazy, since my phone is important to me being able to make my money. I was trying to delicately hold my detached phone to call a customer back. After I purchased a new phone, I could look back and chuckle. But, I became very leary of phones with "above mentioned movable parts". So, I do not see myself sliding that keyboard open often, if this is Android phone I purchase.
    10-30-09 10:17 PM
    I don't mind solid-built sliders. I have been a candy bar style user soley for a looong time but the ADP1 I'm getting has me convinced to switch. The extra screen size you get with a touch screen/keyboard combo compared to a candy bar like my curve is definitely worth the risk
    10-31-09 12:14 AM
    My Moto z6tv slider phone was solidly built and didn't have any issues. Of course I could do almost everything I needed to do without opening the slider up.

I suspect the Droid will be much the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 12:17 AM
    Seems more like a "sliding" phone would be in some high-schoolers hand at the food court in the mall. Too much of a gimicky-type phone for me. But to each his own.
    10-31-09 12:26 AM
    I just think of 'my' first phone that I bought for myself, the LG Chocolate, that's enough to turn me off sliders forever. Then the Sony w580i, the Moto z6w, etc. Blech. Candy bar or flip, thank you.
    10-31-09 01:11 AM
    Seems more like a "sliding" phone would be in some high-schoolers hand at the food court in the mall. Too much of a gimicky-type phone for me. But to each his own.
    can't really call it a gimmick because its not an integral piece of the phone. Now if the OS wouldn't allow typing in landscape mode and forced the user to use the slide out then I could understand your point.

Its actually a brilliant option to the phone. The device gives you 3 typing options you canrt beat that.

10-31-09 01:16 AM
    Only slider I've had was the samsung...don't remember the number. But the slide out keyboard was really nice, I've never had a phone that i could type as fast as that one.

I think the biggest problem with sliders is they tend to be fat, like the HTC touch pro, FAT.
    10-31-09 01:37 AM
    I agree. They tend to be bigger then the typical phone for the exception of the Droid. Those extra thickness makes a big difference in portability factor and it would be a down grade going from a smaller to a bigger phone. I love pocketable phones and also less moving mechanical parts is more ideal. That's my opinion.

10-31-09 02:17 AM
    One thing I don't like, is when you lay it on a surface, it tips back due to the screen haning off the side. Also, cases do not really work on slider-phones. So they are prone to more damage..unless you get the generic plastic clip on types. I perfer Gel cases..which I can not get if I get a droid. :-( Wish they made a touchscreen version.
    Last edited by Magnious; 10-31-09 at 02:37 AM.
    10-31-09 02:33 AM
    They do, it's called the HTC Passion
    10-31-09 04:08 AM
    I don't prefer sliders because they do tend to become loose or break altogether. I also dint prefer the added bulk the slider brings. If I have a touchscreen device, then I want to use the touchscreen. If I wanted a physical keyboard, I would buy a BlackBerry.
    10-31-09 06:46 AM
    Ive had bad experiences with slider phones in the past. Sure, at first it will slide and feel crisp but once you have it for a while the mechanism will loosen up and get sloppy. It almost seems like somewhat a step backwards to me. With all the technology out there having a physical keyboard seems so old school.
    10-31-09 12:46 PM
    Even though some may have legitimate concerns about slider phones (more moving parts=more chance to break), i think many in the world of CrackBerry's main problem with sliders is the simple fact that RIM hasn't made one yet! Right Paul? (Relax dude, I'm just giving you sh*t!)
    10-31-09 05:28 PM
    I was just going to comment that if RIM released a Storm slider with a physical QWERTY keyboard, most of these slider = lame/ugly/whatever posts wouldn't be made.

10-31-09 05:46 PM
    It would look like this:

OMFG!! I have to have the Storm 312 w/ piezo slider!!!!!

He11 yeah!! Storm 312 rocks I hear it's being released with OS 5.5.697 and a 5 mega pixel camara too!!!!

Threaded SMS AND slider!! WHAT MORE COULD I ASK FOR!! WOOHOO

This phone would definitely KILL the first iPhone that came out 10 years ago!!!!

10-31-09 06:27 PM
    Lol. So true.

10-31-09 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD