I just spent 30 minutes playing with the Droid at my local Verizon store. The phone is very, very tempting. I found I typed better on the landscape keyboard than the slide down one. The only reason I did not pull the trigger was due to of rumors of other Android Verizon phones, such as the Passion etc. It seems there will be more choices in just a couple of weeks. I am asking for advice; why did those who purchased the Droid buy one now and not wait 30 days to see if something different is introduced? (I know there is always a better phone around the corner but the new 2.0 operating system phones are just hitting the market, with the Droid being the first. Will HTC one up the Droid in a couple of weeks or worse in 31 days?)
    11-06-09 01:11 PM
    If the Droid were an HTC device I would buy it in a second Motorola Ahhhh has me worried about reliability.
    11-06-09 01:22 PM
    HTC already has a phone out now for VZW. Its called the Eris. Sure it is only running 1.5 but Im sure in no time they will have an update to support 2.0 I think the 1.5 is fine for someone who wants a phone and mabye a little more. I think the moto will have lots of problems in the weeks to come. Thats why i purchased the eris.
    11-06-09 01:24 PM
    Im still in my 30 days with the tour, but Im not getting the droid. I dont want to spend the extra $ when their will be alot better androids out in a couple months and just buy one straight up.
    11-06-09 01:25 PM
    Motorola Ahhhh has me worried about reliability.
    Those words should NEVER be spoken by a Storm owner!
    11-06-09 01:26 PM
    Im still in my 30 days with the tour, but Im not getting the droid. I dont want to spend the extra $ when their will be alot better androids out in a couple months and just buy one straight up.
    Who said there will be more Android devices coming to Verizon in the next couple months? Sure there are rumors with little to no evidence but until Verizon announces something or we atleast see a branded device I wouldn't be so certain more Droid devices are coming so soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 02:42 PM
    Those words should NEVER be spoken by a Storm owner!
    Your opinion. Others have different opinions.
    11-06-09 02:43 PM
    I second that much better than both storms combined

11-06-09 04:45 PM
    Who said there will be more Android devices coming to Verizon in the next couple months? Sure there are rumors with little to no evidence but until Verizon announces something or we atleast see a branded device I wouldn't be so certain more Droid devices are coming so soon.

Im just going by what I heard so whether its true or not we'll see. If it is then im switching.
    11-06-09 05:02 PM
    Im kind of glad that my annual upgrade is not until 12/29. I think the droid is a great phone, but I hope to see what else is launched between now and that time.

11-06-09 05:26 PM
    In the case of the OP I would advise pulling the trigger and getting the droid. I've been destroying my Storm (on OS 5.0) for nearly 24 hrs now. I wouldn't worry about a better android device till Q1-Q2 of 2010, ESPECIALLY on verizon. The next big thing to hit will most likely be the HTC running the snapdragon 1GHZ which wont release till sometime in 2010 and it won't be a CDMA device anyways.

The point of the story (coming from a 5 year Blackberry loyalist) if on Verizon, get the droid.
    11-06-09 05:50 PM
    In the case of the OP I would advise pulling the trigger and getting the droid. I've been destroying my Storm (on OS 5.0) for nearly 24 hrs now. I wouldn't worry about a better android device till Q1-Q2 of 2010, ESPECIALLY on verizon. The next big thing to hit will most likely be the HTC running the snapdragon 1GHZ which wont release till sometime in 2010 and it won't be a CDMA device anyways.

The point of the story (coming from a 5 year Blackberry loyalist) if on Verizon, get the droid.
    Hasn't it been said that the HTC Passion is running snapdragon and is expected on VZW sOon? Also isn't there the HTC predator which is supposed to be the imagio but on android? I had read that was coming in oct/nov several times.

Its hard to believe but VZW has gone nuts with phones lately.

11-06-09 07:27 PM
    The rep I spoke with today said he's expecting another 13 devices to release, which includes devices like the LG Chocolate Touch.

If those are the phones we can expect to drop by Christmas, consider me a happy Droid user.

Seriously, I think this is the flagship device that is coming out before Christmas. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been near the hype on this phone. The build is amazing, my screen doesn't wobble (I tried Civic, nothing ), and I can have it now, versus later.

Sure, the 1 ghz Android MAY be coming out soon, but so far it's been underclocked to 768 and guess what? Battery problems. Those aren't exactly what I want to hear when I'm considering my next phone. I'd rather consider that I was hard on my battery today (when they're still new and not lasting as long as they will) and got a solid 6 hours out of it.

... That's why I bought a Droid now.
    11-06-09 08:37 PM
    11-06-09 08:53 PM
    The droid launch is just starting, so yeah, obviously there will be others.

But waiting for the "next best thing" is a pointless, endless cycle. If you like it, get it. If you don't think it's quite worth it, wait a bit. Later phones (generally speaking) have better specs, just the way it goes.
    11-06-09 08:54 PM
    just an FYI

the Cortex A8 550MHz Processor that comes in the DROID out performed the 1ghz snapdragon in a benchmark test... this goes to show you that just because one has a higher mhz doesn't necessarily mean its faster.
    11-06-09 08:55 PM
    That is going to be one KILLER phone. Biggest problem with it......not on VZW. I did just read this article: Apple to Manufacture Verizon-Compatible iPhone in Q3 2010? - Mac Rumors

Could it be? VZW finally getting in bet with Apple. Let's face it, it would be a brilliant move. I think AT&T would see an awful lot of people defect. My only issue as a long time VZW customer is that I wonder if their network would suffer.
    11-06-09 08:57 PM
    just an FYI

the Cortex A8 550MHz Processor that comes in the DROID out performed the 1ghz snapdragon in a benchmark test... this goes to show you that just because one has a higher mhz doesn't necessarily mean its faster.
    I'd be interested in seeing that... got a link? Source?
    11-06-09 08:57 PM
    I'd be interested in seeing that... got a link? Source?
    im actually looking for it... i saw it yesterday i think it was on either howardforums or hardforums... give me a few min.
    11-06-09 08:59 PM
    That is going to be one KILLER phone. Biggest problem with it......not on VZW. I did just read this article: Apple to Manufacture Verizon-Compatible iPhone in Q3 2010? - Mac Rumors

Could it be? VZW finally getting in bet with Apple. Let's face it, it would be a brilliant move. I think AT&T would see an awful lot of people defect. My only issue as a long time VZW customer is that I wonder if their network would suffer.
    With all the money which VZW pours into the network, I seriously doubt it. With that much time away, they would have more than enough time to get the network enhanced enough for a serious defection of people from AT&T to Verizon.

The biggest worry that I would have regarding the switch, actually, would be AT&T, Sprint (slowly going bankrupt according to some reports), T-Mobile (can't be doing TOO much better) soon calling Verizon a Monopoly, and causing the company to disband.

That would suck. Or be good, given competition and potentially the ability to switch devices to a separate network.
    11-06-09 09:01 PM
    Good point on the monopoly issue cda. I don't think that would happen because I don't know that VZW would want to see the others go down. They know the pitfalls for their own business if that happens.
    11-06-09 09:04 PM
    There is also going to be one by samsung with that same processor. but why does that link say 1.6 operating system?
    11-06-09 09:06 PM

I can confirm that this is true from an insider in verizon. Its actually supposed to launch sooner than Q3 but who knows with verizon these days.
    11-06-09 09:12 PM

too bad its only GSM.. there arent any good GSM networks in america.
    11-06-09 09:39 PM
    this is the siiiiickest phone i have ever seen!!! i wish it was available for verizon. the timescape ui is incredible. by far the best ui ive ever seen. does anyone know if there is a way of making this ui work with another android device like the eris or droid? if so i would ditch my tour for an eris with the timescape ui
    11-06-09 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD