Is there some reason Verizon doesn't want to sell to someone paying retail price?

First store won't let me schedule an appointment or get on the "list". Called a second store in my area and they have a list and have been reserving Droids all week. She asks me if I'm a new or upgrading customer and when I tell her that I'm an existing customer and want to pay retail for the phone the "list" is no longer an option.

What's the deal with that? Do they not make as much commission on someone paying retail without extending their contract?
    11-05-09 04:44 PM
    Because they dont get commission and they know this is a big ticket item that will sell and make them some money.

Keep trying someone will.

Just say you want to upgrade. Go into the store and buy it outright, what are they going to do then? Make them feel bad and say "I drove 45 miles for this phone, and i want it now!" lol
    11-05-09 04:45 PM
    They cant and wont deny you if you show up there when they open. Money is money. Wave the green (or plastic) in front of them and they will surely take it.
    11-05-09 04:52 PM
    Because they dont get commission and they know this is a big ticket item that will sell and make them some money.

Keep trying someone will.

Just say you want to upgrade. Go into the store and buy it outright, what are they going to do then? Make them feel bad and say "I drove 45 miles for this phone, and i want it now!" lol
    Thanks svclee, that's what I suspected. Every time I asked about the phone they always asked first if I was upgrading or a new customer.

Lol, yeah I'm getting the phone. Even if I have to get in line at 1:00 in the freaking morning. Just to spite the sorry SOBs if nothing else.
    11-05-09 04:59 PM
    They cant and wont deny you if you show up there when they open. Money is money. Wave the green (or plastic) in front of them and they will surely take it.
    Hi Paul, hope you're right and pretty sure you are.
    I've read pretty much every post you've submitted regarding the Droid so I know you're not feeling a lot of love for the Droid ----yet.

Even though I love my Blackberry, my eyes don't. Really need that big, clear screen so that I don't have to look for my glasses every time a new message or email arrives.

Plus I use the web browser a LOT on my BB to research things while I work. The Droid just seems to be a better fit for my needs.

Please don't hate me Paul.
    11-05-09 05:09 PM
    Hi Paul, hope you're right and pretty sure you are.
    I've read pretty much every post you've submitted regarding the Droid so I know you're not feeling a lot of love for the Droid ----yet.

Even though I love my Blackberry, my eyes don't. Really need that big, clear screen so that I don't have to look for my glasses every time a new message or email arrives.

Plus I use the web browser a LOT on my BB to research things while I work. The Droid just seems to be a better fit for my needs.

Please don't hate me Paul.

Its not the droid that im not feeling. Its actually all the blind support for a device that hasnt even been released yet. Not to mention the bashing of anything BB just for the heck of it. Im all for new and different devices so to each there own. I wont bash someone just because they dont use a BB anymore.
    11-05-09 05:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD