Okay all, I'm not really that bad with tech, however, I need help. I just bought (within) the hour my first smartphone Droid X. Now it is a little overwhelming trying to read all the how to posts, to remove the bloatware, download movies improve speed and battery life. Can someone help?? I have not done anything to the phone yet. Thanks, I really appreciate any help.
    11-24-10 04:57 PM
    The common consensus is to root the phone. It'll allow you to remove bloatware, overclock, etc. There's a quick root system on the market called z4. It allows you to manually root and unroot your phone directly from the device. That's what you want though.
    11-24-10 10:07 PM
    Congrats on the phone. Get advanced task killer (free from app market) maybe angry birds and yea try rooting and installing a custom rom. If u get stuck just youtube what ur trying to do, it helped when I rooted my incredible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 10:18 PM
    Here's a thought. Use and enjoy your first smartphone for a while before you start messing with it.

The X is a great device out of the box. Learn Android and smartphones a bit before digging in deeper or you could really mess up something.
    11-25-10 12:52 AM
    Here's a thought. Use and enjoy your first smartphone for a while before you start messing with it.

The X is a great device out of the box. Learn Android and smartphones a bit before digging in deeper or you could really mess up something.
    For real.....
    11-25-10 01:22 AM
    Congrats on the phone. Get advanced task killer (free from app market) maybe angry birds and yea try rooting and installing a custom rom. If u get stuck just youtube what ur trying to do, it helped when I rooted my incredible.

DO NOT GET ATK it does more harm than good. The phone handles killing s tasks well all by itself.
    howarmat likes this.
    11-25-10 10:13 AM
    First smart phone? Enjoy it as it is....

Its an incredible phone out of the box

11-25-10 12:29 PM
    Don't listen to any of them, there's nothing any more overwhelming about rooting than there is about stock. As a matter of fact, the concept of rooting is actually defined by simplification, as it takes your device down to its base OS. But don't confuse me at all for a fan of rooting, I haven't done it... yet.
    11-25-10 04:55 PM
    DO NOT GET ATK it does more harm than good. The phone handles killing s tasks well all by itself.
    agreed...i will personally come slap you if you install advanced task killer lol
    11-25-10 05:14 PM
    Don't listen to any of them, there's nothing any more overwhelming about rooting than there is about stock. As a matter of fact, the concept of rooting is actually defined by simplification, as it takes your device down to its base OS. But don't confuse me at all for a fan of rooting, I haven't done it... yet.
    What does this mean? Rooting doesn't do anything to your OS, it doesn't remove any apps or functionality at all. If your device started with Touch Wiz or Sense, it will still have everything it started out with after rooting. Don't spread any misinformation, especially to someone on their first smartphone.
    howarmat, Johnly and avt123 like this.
    11-25-10 05:59 PM
    rooting; more access to the device. I can overclock, or underclock, the phone. I can also decide where to move my apps, partition my SD Card. I can tether at will, and so many more things.
    11-25-10 06:42 PM
    Rooting= Administrator Access to phone

Taken from Root the admin username in Unix or Linux
    howarmat likes this.
    11-25-10 06:59 PM

Agreed! Enjoy your device as it is for now.

11-25-10 08:09 PM
    Takes down to base OS? What does that even mean?

Rooting just allows Super User Permissions. Meaning you can delete ANY file and tamper with ANY file on your device. You have complete control over what can be but on and taken off. Rooting changes NOTHING about the device except the permissions you have over it. That is all.
    11-25-10 09:39 PM
    What does this mean? Rooting doesn't do anything to your OS, it doesn't remove any apps or functionality at all. If your device started with Touch Wiz or Sense, it will still have everything it started out with after rooting. Don't spread any misinformation, especially to someone on their first smartphone.
    Not the proper terminology used, I just meant that it opened the OS to do exactly what the OP wanted and simplified it's use because of it. Taking it back to the basics without the limitations of manufacturer restraints.
    lssanjose likes this.
    11-27-10 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD