I've had my Droid for a day and a half and I began to think how come there was no CD, no way to back up the device. And are all updates OTA? Its hard to imagine a phone so sophisticated not having a back up. And I can't believe the lack of instructions.

I'm liking the phone so far but its hard to break from the blackberry thought process. Is iPhone like this? Heck this phone came with a charger and that's it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 09:36 PM
    Everything gets backed up via Google sync and there is a tutorial on how to use the phone in settings.

I do agree that there should have been some kind of manual but I have also enjoyed tinkering around with this thing without help.

A real man never asks for directions because his Droid has free turn by turn navigation!

11-30-09 09:43 PM
    the droid is kind of light on instructions for newbs and definitely doesn't take baby steps. it kind of just throws you in the water and says sink or swim! lol
    11-30-09 09:48 PM
    I agree, they could've spent some of that million dollars on user manuals, instead of using it all on advertising. Especially those really ambiguous ones that didn't even show the product initially prelaunch.

11-30-09 09:59 PM
    Just make sure it's set to back itself up and it will be fine. I should know, I'm on my third one
    11-30-09 10:00 PM
    Just make sure it's set to back itself up and it will be fine. I should know, I'm on my third one
    12-01-09 12:16 AM
    There's a reason there is not a user manual.

The thing would be a 200 page book...............hardcover.
    12-01-09 12:47 AM
    Sounds good. I searched around for a backup setting but I couldn't find it. Can someone tell me where this is?

12-01-09 05:02 AM
    I'll be getting one after Christmas. Can't wait! I love my Curve but this phone seems to be amazing! I think I'm going to be very pleased. Will my memory card from my curve fit in it?

12-01-09 05:25 AM
    Will my memory card from my curve fit in it?

Yes it will, but the Droid comes with an 8GB memory card preinstalled.
    12-01-09 05:49 AM
    Yes it will, but the Droid comes with an 8GB memory card preinstalled.
    16GB...Not 8.
    12-01-09 05:57 AM
    Sounds good. I searched around for a backup setting but I couldn't find it. Can someone tell me where this is?

The only one I know of is under settings, account and sync settings, check the background data and auto sync boxes. I also have my FB data syncing as well as my gmail account for contacts and cal and what not.
    12-01-09 08:37 AM
    Indeed I found My Back Up Pro for 5.00. It backs up applications and data. You can find it in the store. I figure it's worth 5 bucks and it got good reviews.
    12-01-09 10:16 AM
    See if you come from a real smartphone (see winmo) then the droid is second nature.
    12-01-09 10:23 AM
    16GB...Not 8.
    Wow! If I wasn't sold before, I sure am now. That's sweet!

12-01-09 12:50 PM
    Indeed I found My Back Up Pro for 5.00. It backs up applications and data. You can find it in the store. I figure it's worth 5 bucks and it got good reviews.
    i use that app. once it creates the back up files i also copy them off the sd card to my computer...for safe keeping in case the phone is lost, stolen, or destroyed.
    12-01-09 01:28 PM
    I was one of the unlucky folks (got a lemon) that got a chance to test out the backup features of the phone. If you enabled autobackup during the initial setup of the phone your settings and applications are backed up to the Google cloud, however your local/application data are not backed up since those are usually stored on your SD card. Anyway, when I switched phones I simply entered my Google login credentials and in a matter of minutes everything was back on my phone, simply amazing, a quick switch of SD cards and the backup was fully complete. As for backing up your applications locally, Astro File Manager and EStrongs File Explorer both can backup your applications AND both are FREE.
    12-01-09 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD