Blackberry is behind Apple and Android in 5th i just can't conjure up whats so good about android the battery is crap they have practicaly the same apps as itunes..when the new blackberry models come out rim will go 2nd..
    07-10-11 05:22 AM
    As of right now, I own a 9700 and a Droid2 Global. I can say that Android has apps that Blackberry doesn't or apps that you can get for FREE on the Android Market you pay with Blackberry. Also, the browsing experience on Android is far better. Websites look better to me and it supports Flash. Some websites I can't see on the Blackberry browser because I get the error that it's too big so it forces close. Yes you're right on the battery issue. It does suck. Manufacturers need to develop a better battery. I love my Blackberry and I'm not ready to give up on it but I can honestly say I'm enjoying my Android device. I just can't use it on the TMO network because Verizon decided to lock the US GSM bands. I can't see Blackberry catching up. They would really need to come up with something good to regain market.
    07-10-11 05:54 AM
    Originally was using a bold 9650 - switched to a Droid 2 Global this last January. Had for it for about a month - found the android OS to be buggy and the phone required constant reboots. Also had to keep the the thing charged any possible second I wasnt moving around or it would die on me. Noticed that the back of the phone would actually get hot after using it for a bit. I found the qwerty to be more disjointed and non-fluid like to use. No thanks.

About a month after getting the Droid 2 - I sold the cradle I bought and put the global back in its box. Had verizon re-activate my bold 9650 and never looked back.
    07-10-11 08:43 AM
    Originally was using a bold 9650 - switched to a Droid 2 Global this last January. Had for it for about a month - found the android OS to be buggy and the phone required constant reboots. Also had to keep the the thing charged any possible second I wasnt moving around or it would die on me. Noticed that the back of the phone would actually get hot after using it for a bit. I found the qwerty to be more disjointed and non-fluid like to use. No thanks.

About a month after getting the Droid 2 - I sold the cradle I bought and put the global back in its box. Had verizon re-activate my bold 9650 and never looked back.
    (waits for the inevitable posts asking if you bother to root or customize it, tried this and that, used Task killers, etc. But seems that some would rather have reasonable functionality right out of the box without added headaches.) Some folks like to tinker, others, not so much. There are trade-offs across the Smartphone spectrum, anyone should have what fits them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-10-11 at 10:37 AM.
    07-10-11 09:31 AM
    Android=freedom. You control your device. You dictate what you want to & not to do. Battery life is what you make it. Depending on what manufacturers and what OS you are running, user mileage will vary.

Android is not the solution for everyone. Stock Android itself is not so much buggy as the skin that the manufacturers throw on top of it is usually the culprit. I personally cannot stand MotoBlur. It's buggy as heck and is only outdone in the useless department by TouchWiz from Samsung. Sense has it's issues also, but there's nothing like Stock Android.
    DarkPhoenix likes this.
    07-10-11 09:38 AM
    (waits for the inevitable posts asking if you bother to root or customize it, tried this and that, used Task killers, etc. But seems that some would rather have reasonable functionality right out of the box without added headaches.) Some folks like to tinker, others, not so much. There are trade-offs across the Smartphone spectrum, anyone should have what fits them.

Would rooting it keep it from crashing? Not familiar with the process so I have no idea. I did however use task killers all the time.
    07-10-11 11:59 AM
    Would rooting it keep it from crashing? Not familiar with the process so I have no idea. I did however use task killers all the time.
    Task killers are not needed in 2.2 and higher. That could be your problem right there.
    dragonsamus likes this.
    07-10-11 12:03 PM
    when the new blackberry models come out rim will go 2nd..
    By that time the new Androids will be out too and still ahead of blackberry.
    Seriously, who cares who's first or last,just buy what works for you...end of story!

07-10-11 01:01 PM
    Blackberry is behind Apple and Android in 5th i just can't conjure up whats so good about android the battery is crap they have practicaly the same apps as itunes..when the new blackberry models come out rim will go 2nd..
    THIS made me laugh.
    07-10-11 02:43 PM
    Android has freedom. Apple and BB do not. With android you can root and run custom roms. Androidb is more more web freindly. I can use adobe flash 10.3 and view 99.9999% of site you can on a normal computer. I liked my bb but I love my android.

dragonsamus likes this.
    07-10-11 03:55 PM
    I think the things that I still like about my BlackBerry are the keyboard and RDM+ for connecting to the work computer. Vlingo and Drivesafe.ly both work better on BlackBerry. The things that I don't like are truncated emails, battery pulls, and the dreaded hourglass.

What made the decision to switch to Android (besides the free phone) was the additional features. You have lots of choices, and can customize your phone to meet your needs. There are plenty of apps that are available on both platforms, but there are many that do not have a BlackBerry counterpart.

On my SGS, I use Skype to chat with my daughter stationed in Iraq. That would only be possible on BB if I switched to Vzw (and isn't true VOIP). Tango lets me video chat with family when I'm out of town. Work streams educational workshops via Ustream. Order forms received via email are no longer truncated, so I can work directly from my device without needing to boot up my laptop.

Battery life has not been an issue, since my BlackBerry rarely left my hand and would last about 6 hours before needing a charge. Desk cradles and car docks would make it possible to make it through an entire day. With my SGS, I utilize cradles and docks just like I did on BlackBerry, but still get 5-6 hours of constant use without charging, so it really balances out for me.

It really depends on how you use the device, what you want to do, and what you are used to. Right now, for me, Android has the edge over BlackBerry.
    07-10-11 06:22 PM
    I was a die hard BB fan till my needs changed this past year. All platforms have strengths and weakness and one really needs to know 1) there is no one golden perfect platform 2) what you need out of a device to help you choose what to use. For me, the web browsing became top priority over email and/or messaging. I need a device that could render a website quickly and in its entirety. I dreaded loading that on my 9700 because it would either take forever or would get the much hated "page to large to load" message. There were times I needed to find info instantaneously on the spot and my bb just was not cutting it. That was the main reason I had to leave bb for now. Will I ever go back? Depends on what priorities will be in the future and what device satisfy them best then. But for now I am loving my new device and am not regretting it one bit.
    07-10-11 08:05 PM
    I had to leave behind Blackberry because my mobile internet usage increased.
    Practically all of the apps and services I was using on my Blackberry have more features on Android.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    K Bear likes this.
    07-10-11 08:31 PM
    There's a lot of stuff for Android that BB doesn't have - mainly games afaict.
    For me, BB is just straight up a better communication tool. I love my nook for games, but I wouldn't own an android for communication.
    07-10-11 09:59 PM
    I've got an old Curve, somewhere, that I'm going to hold onto, because the way things are going at RIM, it will probably become a collectible.
    07-11-11 07:11 AM
    I've got an old Curve, somewhere, that I'm going to hold onto, because the way things are going at RIM, it will probably become a collectible.
    LOL. 10 char
    07-11-11 09:28 AM
    Without reading all the replies I will just add my 2 cents as a hardcore BB fan who just made the switch. Like you, and many others, I loved BB and was a true fanboy, didn't wanna admit there was better out there. But it finally got to the point that when comparing specs of phones, processors, memory, and other hardware features, how could I not look into Apple or Android when RIM has clearly fallen FAR behind technologically? So I did a lot of research as I always do with purchases, played with many friend's phones, and phones at stores and decided Android was for me. I love it even more than I thought I would. And it can do 100 things that BB can't and do another 100 things better, easier, and with more pizzazz!

All I can say is don't get so stuck as a fan of something that you miss out on something else, I would've paid for an Android device out of contract a year ago if I knew what I was missing but I was too stuck in my ways.

The only thing you have right though is battery life, comparing to BB, it's terrible. However, consider a battery will drain more when the device is running more powerful processes. Also, most users, even myself who most would consider moderate to heavy can make it a day, do you really need more? .... If you do, there are extended batteries and chargers you can leave in your office or car. Even with my blackberry I always kept a car charger in my glove box for days that were very phone intensive. In the end, the battery life is just a small trade off, and the only one I have found.
    K Bear and Slingbox like this.
    07-11-11 01:12 PM
    Without reading all the replies I will just add my 2 cents as a hardcore BB fan who just made the switch. Like you, and many others, I loved BB and was a true fanboy, didn't wanna admit there was better out there. But it finally got to the point that when comparing specs of phones, processors, memory, and other hardware features, how could I not look into Apple or Android when RIM has clearly fallen FAR behind technologically? So I did a lot of research as I always do with purchases, played with many friend's phones, and phones at stores and decided Android was for me. I love it even more than I thought I would. And it can do 100 things that BB can't and do another 100 things better, easier, and with more pizzazz!

All I can say is don't get so stuck as a fan of something that you miss out on something else, I would've paid for an Android device out of contract a year ago if I knew what I was missing but I was too stuck in my ways.

The only thing you have right though is battery life, comparing to BB, it's terrible. However, consider a battery will drain more when the device is running more powerful processes. Also, most users, even myself who most would consider moderate to heavy can make it a day, do you really need more? .... If you do, there are extended batteries and chargers you can leave in your office or car. Even with my blackberry I always kept a car charger in my glove box for days that were very phone intensive. In the end, the battery life is just a small trade off, and the only one I have found.
    So I take it that you haven't set up your e-mail account(s), or used Facebook on your android yet? BB handles those things way better than android.
    07-11-11 02:25 PM
    So I take it that you haven't set up your e-mail account(s), or used Facebook on your android yet? BB handles those things way better than android.
    Two years ago (heck, one year ago) that might have been true, but today I wouldn't necessarily say BB handles it better anymore. The two brands handle email and Facebook differently fer shur. Most people who switch or compare brands will often mistake "what they're accustomed to" for "better".
    DarkPhoenix and MoRedStar like this.
    07-11-11 03:34 PM
    I surely can't agree. I actually prefer email on the Android. However, they both get the job done, no differences to squawk over.

I will admit I have never used an app for facebook on either device since I am not a 16 year old girl. However, I really don't see how one could be better than another. We are talking about a facebook app, slightly different builds, sure. Better, I would think that is all opinion.
    07-11-11 04:45 PM
    I surely can't agree. I actually prefer email on the Android. However, they both get the job done, no differences to squawk over.

I will admit I have never used an app for facebook on either device since I am not a 16 year old girl. However, I really don't see how one could be better than another. We are talking about a facebook app, slightly different builds, sure. Better, I would think that is all opinion.
    Well just like you think that it is all opinion about the Facebook app being better on one platform than another. The same thing applies to the email capabilities between BlackBerry and android.

Now that you are drinking the android kool-aid, you now "prefer" email on android. But I bet in your "BB fanboy" days, you probably went to battle against anyone who said different. It's cool though. Everyone is entitled to their own preference.

So you think anyone that uses Facebook on a device is a "16 year old girl"???

So how do you feel about people that use Twitter or other social media?
    Last edited by Itzdatdude; 07-11-11 at 06:12 PM.
    07-11-11 06:04 PM
    Well just like you think that it is all opinion about the Facebook app being better on one platform than another. The same thing applies to the email capabilities between BlackBerry and android.

Now that you are drinking the android kool-aid, you now "prefer" email on android. But I bet in your "BB fanboy" days, you probably went to battle against anyone who said different. It's cool though. Everyone is entitled to their own preference.

So you think anyone that uses Facebook on a device is a "16 year old girl"???

So how do you feel about people that use Twitter or other social media?
    I was never enough of a fan-boy to say one thing is better than another before I had tried both. Like we said it's opinion, but now I have tried both and in my opinion Android is better. No kool-aid. So don't make assumptions that I "said this back when".

And my comments on social media are more a sad attempt to be funny than anything else so don't be offended. I just don't get it, seems childish to me. But different strokes for different folks. Just because I don't get why one man would have sex with another man doesn't mean I am against it. So carry on with facebook if that is what pleases you.
    07-11-11 06:47 PM
    I was never enough of a fan-boy to say one thing is better than another before I had tried both. Like we said it's opinion, but now I have tried both and in my opinion Android is better. No kool-aid. So don't make assumptions that I "said this back when".

And my comments on social media are more a sad attempt to be funny than anything else so don't be offended. I just don't get it, seems childish to me. But different strokes for different folks. Just because I don't get why one man would have sex with another man doesn't mean I am against it. So carry on with facebook if that is what pleases you.
    Ummm......ok, now you have just done really gone off topic. Seriously.

The thread is "what so good about android". All I was doing was giving "MY OPINION" on what "I" feel that android doesn't do well in "MY OPINION", since all the stuff good about android has already been mentioned.

It's like discussing pro's and con's. Spotmark gave his opinion on the email topic. I gave mine. You gave yours.

Ok, as you said about the social media remark was "a sad attempt to be funny". Ok, I got that......somewhat, because you then say "it seems childish".

But the whole "if one man would have sex with another" comment.........

Dude that has nothing to do with the topic at all.

Oh but let me guess, just another attempt at being funny. I can't speak for everyone else, but I damn sure don't care or wish to hear about your sexual preferences homie.

Now back on topic. I think android has a lot to offer to people looking to go in a different direction when looking for a new smartphone.
    07-11-11 08:31 PM
    but I damn sure don't care or wish to hear about your sexual preferences homie.
    lol'd... good day sir
    07-11-11 09:11 PM
    More malware targeting Android | InSecurity Complex - CNET News
    That being said, I do prefer android to iOS.

Posted from my OSBBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-11 09:40 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD