What would you say is the difference between the 2 users? Is everyone with a BB a business oriented type? Is everyone with an iphone/android phone some techy/geeky type? I love my BB but I am considering a Nexus One now strictly for web usage and videos. Random I know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-10 08:07 PM
    I do not think any generalizations can be made. I know a retired teacher who has an iPhone, and I see folks with BlackBerrys in my IT classes at college. Folks from all demographic groups use different devices. People buy what they like. There is no pattern that I know of based on my own experiences.

02-05-10 08:36 PM
    I do not think any generalizations can be made. I know a retired teacher who has an iPhone, and I see folks with BlackBerrys in my IT classes at college. Folks from all demographic groups use different devices. People buy what they like. There is no pattern that I know of based on my own experiences.

+1

My 50 year old dad (not techy at all) uses an iphone for his business not a berry. Me on the other hand 25 loves all the new technology rocks a berry. (I do have a iphone too, but that's besides the point. Berries are much more consumer based then they were a year ago.

02-05-10 08:42 PM
    Gotcha. I know generalizations can't be made but you hear it so often. The reason I asked is because I am considering the Google Nexus 1 now because I wanna be able to look at videos and surf the web faster/better. The BB Bold just isn't doing that 4 me.

02-05-10 08:49 PM
    The nexus 1, and the i phone's are better for internet, but for messaging they can't touch Blackberry.

02-05-10 08:52 PM
    Well, there are many platform other than iphone and bb. Like windows mobile, symbian, sony ericsson, etc. It just depends on people what they prefer. Like myself have been using windows mobile for 5 years and now switch to bb, I can say it suit me right now. Colleague that works with me, most of them just prefer sony ericsson over its advantage of having a good camera and music though they were in IT. In the other hand, I got plenty of friends on bbm/msn/fb that most of them are in IT field.

For the Nexus, I would say it aiming more on entertainment like iphone market. If you prefer to browse more than having the push feature like bb does, you are good to go.

02-06-10 01:03 AM
    My whole family but my dad are BlackBerry users mostly because I've sold them on what BBerries have to offer. I have a 9000, my sisters (3) all have Curves, my mom has a Pearl and even my girl friend has a 9700. Same with with my friends they all have BlackBerries as well! It's a new world order for BlackBerry users ha!

02-06-10 01:16 AM
    The nexus 1, and the i phone's are better for internet, but for messaging they can't touch Blackberry.

And emails!!!!!!!

02-06-10 04:03 AM
    I think the main difference between these users is the phone they use.
    02-06-10 04:26 AM
    The difference is that BB owners (for whatever reason) tend to walk around with an added sense of importance while spitting out stupid things like "BB's are for business, and everything else is a toy.".
    02-06-10 05:32 AM
    I think, honestly, I like blackberry products because they were my first foray into smartphones. I've gotten to used to the features and its functionality so I've stuck with them. Plus I've spent a lot of time learning about different things to do with it. Maybe if I had waited a bit, my first smartphone would've been an iphone, or a droid phone, and then I wouldn't be able to see myself switching from those platforms.

Also, most of my friends have slowly switched to the blackberry so in terms of keeping in touch, it's a lot more convenient!

That being said, the nexus one looks pretty sweet...but I'm too used to my berry. =)

02-06-10 02:22 PM
    What would you say is the difference between the 2 users? Is everyone with a BB a business oriented type? Is everyone with an iphone/android phone some techy/geeky type? I love my BB but I am considering a Nexus One now strictly for web usage and videos. Random I know.

Why are you lumping iPhone and Android users together? From what I've seen they don't overlap at all.

It seems to me technology oriented people wouldn't touch iAnything with a hundred foot pole, it's so weak on technology. Symbian and Android seem to be attracting the most hackers. Symbian was always that way, and there's a lot of interest in Android now.
    02-06-10 02:29 PM
    I switched from the 9000 to the Nexus and I haven't missed a beat regarding email. Gmail arrives just like my @blackberry account(immediately). IMO, they are equal in terms of messaging, and the Nexus smokes it everywhere else.

Just my experience tho. I could never go back to memory leaks and battery pulls and spinning hourglasses. These are the issues that will cause me never to go back to BB.
    02-06-10 04:08 PM
    ISTM the deciding factors are complex but simple.

Which device best meets user's need for strategic functions?
    Which device has the best balance of "Must Have " and "No Way" features?
    Which device fits comfortably in the user's hand and feels easy to operate?

The Must Have and No Way list will always be a compromise. However, for me a touchscreen is a "NFW" feature to overrule all Must Haves. I just don't do touchscreens.
    02-06-10 04:55 PM
    My first smartphone was a samsung epix(windows mobile os) and after havin 2 replacements I went with the bold and I love the switch. If the bold was alittle faster with the web I would be 100 percent satisfied. For me one of the big things with the bb is how helpful and friendly other bb user are which is one main reason I won't switch to a different phone

02-07-10 12:19 PM
    I do not think any generalizations can be made
    02-07-10 05:03 PM
    As much as I like to browse on the internet and the G1 did an awesome job of that. It opened new windows , zoom in and out did the you tube and had alot of nice apps that I don't recall being out there (at least the BB app store wasn't in play yet) for my 8800 it still has its issues.

Granted I was an early adopter (day 1) and in the last 15 months the Droid market has exploded from a couple of notepads and tip calculators to tons of new and useful apps. Many of these same apps are available via the BB app store now.

So the droid/g1 has come along way from a device to useful handheld unit that will surf the web, play videos, facebook(?) ect ect and push/instant email. The BB will do all the same things now as like I said its application store has matured.

IMHO what the G1 wasn't so good at was being a phone. It would hang on the unlock screen and get to the point where I would need to pull the battery just to be able to make a call. The caller ID wouldn't function at times. I hated the calendar function, the phone books inability to list properly (same on Nexus 1 or so I am told) things a phone should be good at.

I looked at the Nexus 1 and If i was able to get it for $180 I think I would have given the touch screen keyboard a try. The screen is large enough that in landscape mode typing might have been possible. The G1/Droid in a slightly smaller form factor, this was an impossibility. (my accuracy was almost zero beyond a two letter word).

Any way since the Nexus 1 is $500+ I chose the Bold for my replacement phone and now that TMO is doing 1 year smartphone upgrades I will be able to get a new BB every 12 months or so.

Bottom line, most of the phones can do many of the same things so it comes down to what features are more important to you. In my case I want a full featured phone with a good "real" keyboard so thats what I want/need but everyone is different
    02-07-10 07:54 PM
    All I know is that the next time I upgrade it won't be just a decision between Bold and the iPhone... Competition is good for the consumer.

02-07-10 10:30 PM

yea i'd have to agree. im 23 and use a blackberry. but my grandparents just got iPhones...ones in politics and the other is retired.
    02-08-10 01:10 PM

The ones with Blackberries don't post stupid questions like this, they generally have a life. Are you doing market research? Buy the other phone, try it, and if you don't like it, return it within 30 days, that is timeframe given by most vendors to return units.
    02-09-10 08:48 PM
    Having owned an iPhone for over a year (and loved it very much), after I dropped it in a parking lot at a bar (someone found it and called "Dad" from Contacts and I got it back), and then dropping it in the toilet which caused it's death (also had been drinking quite abit that night).........I came to the conclusion that having insurance is probably a necessity for me, because I party...ALOT. I freakin' love my blackberry, would I go back if iPhone got an insurance - No. (I'm 25 yrs. old)
    02-10-10 03:46 PM
    Honestly, I was expecting this to be a joke thread. Like, "A Blackberry, an iPhone and an Android walk into a bar..." High hopes I guess.

I have been a Blackberry user since the first weeks of "mainstream" Blackberry. The original Pearl. I broke my year long habit of the Motorola Razr V3, (hacked, flashed and modified to the nines). The only reason it took me so long to join the Blackberry revolution was because it wasn't a "fun" phone at the time. It was straight suit and tie, (ironically, I was not suit and tie at the time. Now I am). The Razr was a fun phone. Then the Pearl released and all **** broke loose for RIM. A bright, color, fully functional and fun smartphone. My life as many others, and addictions as many others, changed forever!

Then the long awaited Apple iPhone launched. I was on my Blackberry Curve at the time. My friends went crazy for this thing. I just sat back and said, "Why?" Why... When I have a cell phone/smartphone. Why... When I have an iPod Classic with video. Why... When I know Blackberry will have an answer to the App Store. Why... Because it "looks pretty". Why, why, why?! Oddly enough, none of my friends, who owned smartphones prior, could answer these questions when they were in the same boat, aside from... But look at it.

Oh, I looked. And then I revelled in the fluid design of my new Blackberry Bold 9000 and my mother-in-laws Storm (first generation). I also revelled in the user friendly GUI and the Blackberry App World. I revelled in the expandable memory slot that'll hold, (no, not 55 quadrillion songs), but a usable and listenable couple hundred to a couple thousand songs.

I also revel in the fact that I have converted a few dozen people to go with Blackberry based on Blackberry Messanger alone. Not including the countless others because of what it can actually do for them!

Am I biased? Partially. I have used the iPhone and iPod Touch, I just don't like it. Android, I don't know anyone that owns one, nor have I heard from a friend, who works at a service provider, say they've sold one.

That's just my opinion on the whole matter and take it as such, an opinion.

*NOTE: I can not wait until the Berry-lution has fully caught on in the United States. If the Curve was the top selling smartphone for the year, just wait...
    (Based on what I've seen first-hand from service providers in the USA still, primarily, pushing clamshell/bar designed LG's, Samsung's, Nokia's, Sony's, et al. to the masses and Blackberry's to "business types". Yes, advertising is changing it's course now.)
    02-10-10 04:29 PM

The Must Have and No Way list will always be a compromise. However, for me a touchscreen is a "NFW" feature to overrule all Must Haves. I just don't do touchscreens.
    Same here. I would consider a device that has both a touchscreen and a physical keyboard, but not one that has only a touchscreen.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-10-10 05:23 PM
    Why are you lumping iPhone and Android users together? From what I've seen they don't overlap at all.

It seems to me technology oriented people wouldn't touch iAnything with a hundred foot pole, it's so weak on technology. Symbian and Android seem to be attracting the most hackers. Symbian was always that way, and there's a lot of interest in Android now.
    Hugely mistaken, if you look around youll even notice engadget crew all using Mac...if the iPhone was so bad then why do you think its so popular in the first place not to mention it has become a standard for all other phone manufacturers to look up to. Ive used winmo, symbian,bb and iphone os dedicating enough time for each of the device to understand enough about their capabilities.
    I even had the 5800 for an extremely short while since i grew tired of lack of application support and bad quality build while the iphone lasted with me for almost a year with many apps pouring in on a daily basis keeping things interesting (just visit engadget or gizmodo if you want proof). I agree that without jailbreaking it would probably not have been as interesting but that is besides the point. The fact that it is still capable of multitasking in many different ways(through jailbreaking), skins, great 3D capabilities, excellent web surfing experience, etc...You cant really base an almost entire comparison based on lack of flash support even the android still doesn't support flash.
    02-10-10 05:36 PM
    if the iPhone was so bad then why do you think its so popular in the first place not to mention it has become a standard for all other phone manufacturers to look up to.
    Umm, it's not, thank God. I would HATE if BlackBerry started trying to look to iPhone for ideas on improving their own platform. Like you, I''ve played with several smartphone platforms. I have high hopes for Android but so far none of the devices has been enough to pry me away from BlackBerry. I hate cluttered touch screens where the real-estate is used up with virtual buttons, for which there'd be no need if they had a menu button to tuck controls into menus. I absolutely LOATHE the ridiculous way that the only way to get to another app or function is to press the single button and back out of what you're doing.

Before you think I'm hating on them to hate, I'm an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician and an IT support person helping write technical documents about securing the iPhone on an enterprise level (which is all but a lost cause, but that's beside the point). I need key commands. I need a tactile keyboard on which to type, I need an app switcher. I need security.

I know I'm not able to speak for everyone's needs. I think the iPhone is fun to tinker with, but the BlackBerry's much more my speed for a handheld communication device. I don't think of users of one platform as being more technically inclined in general than the other, but I also don't think one of the phones is what the other should strive to be. It's all about what is important to individual users. Since these things can be used in so many different ways, and to so many different ends, I don't think other patterns in behavior of the users is likely to make itself apparent. I have people in my office who swear by Android, Palm, iPhone, Nokia, BlackBerry and WinMo, and none of them are wrong (okay, maybe the WinMo guys ). they just have different tastes and needs in a portable device.
    02-10-10 07:58 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD