I have one month until I make my move to an Android device. I'm either going xtreme or incredible. At this point, I think Froyo fixes a lot of these problems but I'd like to know what other tradeoffs I'm missing.

Only six email accounts per device
    1 gmail account snyc'd per device
    Non gmail Email pulled not pushed
    Standard Yahoo accounts not sync'able by default

Am I missing anything? I have three gmail accounts I use (two for email and one for the calendar and contacts) on my blackberry, one mail.com, one yahoo, one hotmail and the vzw blackberry email account on my storm so I am going to be down a few accounts. These aren't. Show stoppers but I am wondering if I should be waiting for Froyo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-10 06:54 PM
    It will all depend on how you personally handle using Android. Android is a great OS but it is certainly not meant for everyone.

Handling all those email addresses on the same device might be a little difficult for Android (personal opinion), but Froyo certainly will better enhance changing accounts on the fly.
    06-09-10 06:56 PM
    Most of what you use blackberry for is just as good on Android, and of coarse you have tons of things that are better.

Things I miss from Blackberry:

Profiles - though there is an app for this in the marketplace, its not quite as nice as the BB profiles. I have stopped using profiles though and just use the volume switch to toggle between full/silent/vibrate.

The Sent/Delivered/Read receipts - those were great, but truly necessary? Not for most people.

Yahoo! Mail has some bugs on Android - loved how this was never an issue with BB, but I am most likely migrating to Google Apps for my business anyways. The issue is a syncing one. It keeps 25 (or 50 or whatever) emails viewable at once, so when I delete x number of emails, it brings in some older ones "up" and always marks those as unread even though they've been read before. Its only a yahoo issue, and not sure if HTC Sence has this problem.

Qwerty Keyboard - Yah yah.....overall the benefits of the full touch screen are overwhelming, but I do miss the keyboard when typing messages/emails ect.

I fire up my BB every so often and it feels like a huge step back. I don't think you'll miss anything unless you are a true enterprise user, and will love what you gain.

You can sync all your Gmail accounts. I have 4 Gmail accounts and one Yahoo Plus account and the only issue is with Yahoo mail syncing as noted above. Hopefully that gets fixed soon.
    06-09-10 07:41 PM
    I have one month until I make my move to an Android device. I'm either going xtreme or incredible. At this point, I think Froyo fixes a lot of these problems but I'd like to know what other tradeoffs I'm missing.

Am I missing anything? I have three gmail accounts I use (two for email and one for the calendar and contacts) on my blackberry, one mail.com, one yahoo, one hotmail and the vzw blackberry email account on my storm so I am going to be down a few accounts. These aren't. Show stoppers but I am wondering if I should be waiting for Froyo.

Only 6 Email accounts per device. Wow! I have 11 pushed to my Berry. So that means I would have to give up 5 accounts perhaps.
    06-09-10 07:59 PM
    I would like to know why someone needs more then 6 email accounts in the first place. Personal+Work+Junk Mail Account... what else does one need?
    06-09-10 09:26 PM
    Most of the are for business accounts.

1 - Personal Account for Family, Friends, Accounts
    2 - Used to sign up for forums, blogs, etc
    3 - Work
    4 - BlackBerry Account (rarely used. it's the one that comes with the phone)
    5 thru 11 - Separate accounts for business
    06-09-10 09:32 PM
    Only 6 Email accounts per device. Wow! I have 11 pushed to my Berry. So that means I would have to give up 5 accounts perhaps.
    what the **** are you doing with 11 email accounts???
    06-09-10 09:33 PM
    what the **** are you doing with 11 email accounts???
    Answer is in the post above.
    Perhaps it's true when they say BlackBerry is a business device.
    Android is a very powerful phone, but when it comes to the things I need that are business related that most people wouldn't use, it tends to fall short. Guess I'll have to reevaluate some things.
    06-09-10 09:36 PM
    Ok so Android doesn't handle as many email accounts as BB and it has no Profiles. What about contacts? Does it allow you to add multiple numbers under one contact and separate them by number type, etc? I live how the BB handles contact info.

I'm just trying to think of all the "little things" we take for granted and don't think about when switching phones. I've grown so used to the BB OS, that its going to feel really awkward if/when I switch to Android.

06-09-10 10:26 PM
    Ok so Android doesn't handle as many email accounts as BB and it has no Profiles. What about contacts? Does it allow you to add multiple numbers under one contact and separate them by number type, etc? I live how the BB handles contact info.

I'm just trying to think of all the "little things" we take for granted and don't think about when switching phones. I've grown so used to the BB OS, that its going to feel really awkward if/when I switch to Android.

With the BlackBerry you have multiple phone number fields already preset.
    Email, Work, Work2, Home, Home2, Mobile, Pager, Fax, Other, PIN
    Therefore if you have multiple contact numbers to enter for a contact, it can be down quickly.

With Android I noticed they only give you one initial field for phone numbers.
    You can add additional fields, but you have to add each field one at a time.
    Therefore taking longer to input the data.
    06-09-10 10:31 PM
    Well that sucks, but as long as you can add them that will work. I know that Android syncs with your Google account by default, but can you bypass that and sync with Outlook like BB?

I'm not trying to bash any platform or start a flame war, but I store my life in my phone and BB makes it so easy to do it. I just don't want to regret switching.

06-09-10 10:35 PM
    Well that sucks, but as long as you can add them that will work. I know that Android syncs with your Google account by default, but can you bypass that and sync with Outlook like BB?

I'm not trying to bash any platform or start a flame war, but I store my life in my phone and BB makes it so easy to do it. I just don't want to regret switching.

I haven't tried it, but I think you can disable the sync and use Outlook instead.

You may want to check out the link below in reference to syncing a Google account to Outlook

https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync

I'm not 100% sure on this though. All of this is new to me as well.
    06-09-10 10:41 PM
    This isn't a show stopper for me either but the one thing that I really love (and missed when I didn't have a BB) was the ability to capitalize just by holding the key down longer. When I went from my first Blackberry to a Treo, this was the first time I recognized how much I missed the feature. How is this handled on Android devices?

Right now I am only sync'ing with Google but I'm sure there will be a time when I will need to sync my calendar with Exchange via a wired connection rather than over the air. I was able to do this fairly easily with my Blackberry. How does this work with Android? In my last job, if I sync'd my email, I had to get IT involved but it wasn't an issue with calendars. As a fall back, I was thinking of syncing my desktop calendar with Google (using a plugin for Outlook) then syncing wirelessly with the phone.
    06-10-10 07:07 AM
    I'll be honest with you. I have a mytouch 3g, had a nexus one. It all boils down to if you want a multimedia, laptop like device (Android). Or do you want your device to be a phone first, communication/productive tool (blackberry)... For me its simple. I wanted a phone so I went back to my bb. I missed the call quality, speakerphone loudness. Speaker loudness in general. Led notification (berrybuzz), profiles, easy text msgs. My 3 to 4 page texts not being converted to mms (what if im texting someone who can't receive pic msgs) Dial for the home screen, I don't actually have to go into my contacts to find a contact. I just start spelling their name out. Call log entries or history being housed under one contact instead of seeing 15 different calls from the same person in my call log (though I hear froyo addresses this) Being able to take a note while I'm on a call. Easy email from email other than Gmail. Password protecting my phone instead of a pattern lock which is not hard to break(hear froyo addresses this too) I don't need the Apps & games. If I want Apps & games I'll get an ipod touch. The only thing I miss is the browser. Ultimately the choice is yours though.
    06-10-10 07:55 AM
    I think the trade off is the amount of focus you need to operate a more "sofisticated" device like an android. For instance, i would often find myself walking while texting or typing an email on the bberry, not so easily doable on a droid touch screen (but you can dictate with your voice instead).

But also the trade off depends on the individual, for some it's the typing for others is battery life etc. I feel like nowadays everyone is in the search for THE perfect device and after trying many and switching carriers many many times, i have come to understand that i will never find such.

Try it and see if YOU like it.
    06-10-10 10:38 AM

1. You can actually setup your gmail account to check other pop addresses and have them labeled with that account and put into your gmail inbox.

2. Nope not true. I currently have 2 on my Droid and have since I got the phone with OS 2.0.1. The phone will only sync app purchases to one account though.

3. I am not sure but it seems as if when I have gmail check the servers it does actually push the messages through from my other accounts.

4. I think that is a problem on Yahoo's side on how they setup their accounts not Android.

If you want an Incredible you are going to have to wait a little and might as well pre-order the Xtreme if you are waiting. The X is suppose to come out in August/September so yeah that would only be a few more weeks. Then again, if you don't like the size of the Droid you probably could just order the Incredible and wait.
    06-10-10 11:42 AM
    Is there a way to put the blackberry.net address on an Android phone?

06-11-10 04:47 PM
    Is there a way to put the blackberry.net address on an Android phone?

As fas as I know, not unless you have the BlackBerry account still active. You can have the BlackBerry account forward incoming mail to a GMail account. Then open the forward messages on your Android device.

06-11-10 04:53 PM
    As fas as I know, not unless you have the BlackBerry account still active. You can have the BlackBerry account forward incoming mail to a GMail account. Then open the forward messages on your Android device.

That makes sense. Thanks for the explenation.

06-11-10 05:59 PM
    Earlier this year I switched my Bold for a Droid. Thing I missed the most was profiles. BUT there's an app that lets you create multiple profiles for an array of situations.
    Audio manager Pro solved my dilemma. I created very similar profiles that are on the Bold. I open the app and pick which profile I need.
    There's also an option to put widgets on the home screen for your created profiles.
    06-13-10 06:54 AM
    Battery Life! That is it.
    06-13-10 12:14 PM
    Earlier this year I switched my Bold for a Droid. Thing I missed the most was profiles. BUT there's an app that lets you create multiple profiles for an array of situations.
    Audio manager Pro solved my dilemma. I created very similar profiles that are on the Bold. I open the app and pick which profile I need.
    There's also an option to put widgets on the home screen for your created profiles.
    can you set different alert for different email accounts in andriod phones?
    06-13-10 01:11 PM

Android allows you to add multiple numbers under a contact. You can either do it directly under contacts, or if you have a recently recieved/dailed number, text, or a number sent via text/email simply holding you finder down over the number will bring up the option to add to contacts. When done so you simply choose the contact you want, press on it and the field is automatically created with the number added.
    06-15-10 01:52 PM
    I would like to know why someone needs more then 6 email accounts in the first place. Personal+Work+Junk Mail Account... what else does one need?
    I manage an insurance and accounting firm.

I have email forwarded from each department, including specific employees email sent to my device.

Not to mention my own.
    06-15-10 02:07 PM
    I was a Verizon VIP member which allowed me to upgrade annually with a $50 credit. I bought my Storm last July so this year, I was planning on annual upgrade instead of waiting on the new every two timing, which would be March on 2011 at the earliest.

Today, I went to log into the VIP website, just to see if the Incredible was offered. The VIP program has expired as of February 2010. So I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get a new phone in July.

Any success stories for people getting upgrades early for the Incredible or is it off to eBay for a used Droid? I am very disappointed with my Storm. It's a fine phone if you don't want to do any with it. I'm planning on telling customer service about the memory leakage and constant need to reset the phone. I'm not sure if they've heard that all before or not.

Sigh...
    06-16-10 07:23 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD