I kind of have an idea of rooting since I had a jailbroken iphone, but what does it really do and why would u want it aside from just making ur phone look different (themes).
    What is overclocking and y would u want it? Does it drain ur battery faster and is it just for fun or is it useful?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-10 04:45 PM
    Rooting allows you to have full access over your device. You can then delete basically anything you want and install custom ROMs and kernels (if you device doesn't have a locked bootloader).

Overclocking is setting the CPU speed higher. It makes you device faster although it may no be stable and it may drain the battery badly. But, with the right kernel you should be fine. My Droid (stock clock speed is 550Mhz) was overclocked to 1.25GHz(double) and had better battery life than stock.
    07-24-10 05:36 PM
    As previously stated Rooting gives you further access into the device. Custom ROM's and full kernel access which allows not only custom themes that are drastically different than what stock android may normally allow, but the ability to remove anything, the ability to overclock your cpu ect. Pretty much gives you full reign.

Now there are plenty of themes / aka: home replacements without rooting, and overclocking the CPU isn't always a good idea unless you are fairly familiar with it, and if your device would see real world improvement (like lower line android phones ect). Most of the current line up don't really need it though as they are running 1ghz CPU's, and with the Droid X, an even stronger GPU processing chipset than you see on the N1 ect.

So you can still change the look and add apps to replace the stock keyboard/dialer ect like you would maybe want to without rooting. So its up to you whether you want to really dive in and drastically change things.
    07-24-10 05:42 PM
    If you over clock you can also under volt.
    UV helps save both battery & stress on the device.
    There are now kernels with both OC & UV on them, that's what I'm running.
    07-24-10 06:02 PM
    Rooting allows you to have full access over your device. You can then delete basically anything you want and install custom ROMs and kernels (if you device doesn't have a locked bootloader).

Overclocking is setting the CPU speed higher. It makes you device faster although it may no be stable and it may drain the battery badly. But, with the right kernel you should be fine. My Droid (stock clock speed is 550Mhz) was overclocked to 1.25GHz(double) and had better battery life than stock.
    How do you change the CPU speed?
    07-27-10 12:46 AM
    I'm running 2.2 Sapphire on my rooted droid, and i found Overclock Widget to be really useful. I overclocked it to 900mhz just to stay stable and safe, and it is still a dramatic increase in speed.
    07-27-10 12:58 AM
    overclocking over a period of time can actually do damage to the device...
    07-28-10 08:32 AM
    WOW. This sounds very fun. I guess androids are pretty fun devices. Now, are BBs capable of doing this? Just curious...
    If the 9800 let's me down, I will go for my favorite droid so far: the Droid X!
    Thanks guys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-10 06:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD