Because there does not appear to be a way to power it off while plugged in. The other night I was at some friends house when my battery died. I took it out to my car to use the car charger and was thinking that 30-45min would be plenty to get a solid charge in it with it powered off. I had only about that amount of time before my wife was off work and would begin texting so we could make our arrangements with our friends for the evening. When I went back outside to the car thinking it would be well over 50% on a car rapid charger with it powered down I was upset when I approached my car to see the whole cabin glowing from the phone being powered on (not my doing) and the screen sitting locked at full brightness. I checked and the battery was at 15% I have also noticed that the phone will not stay powered down when plugged in and so I started muting the phone when I go to bed and then I press the lock key which seems to turn off the display backlight. This doesn't last all night though and when I wake up the display backlight is on and it's still locked. Ideally I could set my alarm, power down the phone and plug it in w/o worrying about it until the am when the phone powers up and alarm goes off.

So what is the official default behavior of this device? Seems like something is wrong with my phone as this can't be the way it was designed to function. No other smart phone I have owned has acted this way so this is not a step forward IMO if this is the case.
    11-22-09 12:47 PM
    Im pretty sure this is how it is supposed to be mine does the same thing.
    11-22-09 12:53 PM
    The battery probably died so after you plugged it in it turned on when it had enough power. And the battery charge might be normal depending on how much battery life you had when you plugged it in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-09 12:57 PM
    The Droid must be on when charging to manage the charging circuit. It is the way it is designed. i once turned the Droid off when plugged into the charger and, like you, found that the Droid had not charged at all when I turned it on later.
    11-22-09 01:01 PM
    The battery probably died so after you plugged it in it turned on when it had enough power. And the battery charge might be normal depending on how much battery life you had when you plugged it in.

I should add that I plugged it in and it turned on so I replied to an email and shut it off and walked away. It not only powered itself on but it kept the backlight on the entire time which is why it only charged to 15% in that time frame. If it had stayed powered off the way I had done there's no reason it wouldn't be at about 75% capacity or so in 45min. I'm not a fan of electronic devices that have a mind of their own and don't do what you tell them to especially when it comes to powering on. Not too many people would accept their microwave or plasma powering itself on whenever it felt like it so why is a mobile phone different? Google/Motorola should address this as not everyone wants their phone on all the time.
    11-22-09 01:01 PM
    The Droid must be on when charging to manage the charging circuit. It is the way it is designed. i once turned the Droid off when plugged into the charger and, like you, found that the Droid had not charged at all when I turned it on later.
    Ugh. This is good to know. Bad news but good to know.

How does one go about keeping the display backlight off then? I could live with putting it in silent mode at night when I go to bed to not be awaken as long as I knew that the display wasn't going to randomly come on. I can live with the charging issue as the only reason I let it get that low is because I wanted to see how long I was getting out of the battery before it died for another thread here. I generally plug it in all the time when at home or in the car so this wouldn't normally be an issue. Just a perfect storm of issues that night really. The nightly sleep mode would be more of an inconvenience though.
    11-22-09 01:04 PM
    My Droid's screen darkens (screen timeout) after the default time period when charging, it does not stay on.
    11-22-09 01:17 PM
    My Droid's screen darkens (screen timeout) after the default time period when charging, it does not stay on.
    I think the default is 1min and I set mine to 2min as the screen lock also seems to be enabled whenever the backlight shuts off and I was frustrated with unlocking it all the time. What I'm talking about though is that I will plug the phone in, put it on silent and then push the button on the top to lock the phone. This also turns off the backlight which is what I'm trying to accomplish. Now that it's locked and the backlight is off it should stay that way... right? At least that's what logic would tell me but the problem is that it doesn't. At some point during the course of the evening it decides to turn the backlight back on and stay that way. No clue what is causing this.
    11-22-09 01:25 PM
    My 8330 started doing this after I installed 5.0.0.230 try going into clock-options then when charging DO Nothing cause u may be going into bedside mode

11-22-09 01:40 PM
    My 8330 started doing this after I installed 5.0.0.230 try going into clock-options then when charging DO Nothing cause u may be going into bedside mode

Where exactly is this located? I don't see anything within the clock settings that you describe. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?
    11-22-09 02:19 PM
    Where exactly is this located? I don't see anything within the clock settings that you describe. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?
    That's because the place they are describing is on a BB and you are talking about a Droid. You won't find Bedside Mode settings on a Droid.

By the way, you may want to look at the bottom of page 2 on the Verizon Bulletin. This will confirm that the Droid will power on when charging. There is other useful info there as well

Motorola Droid OTA Update Coming December 11th? | Android Phone Fans
    11-22-09 03:13 PM
    That's because the place they are describing is on a BB and you are talking about a Droid. You won't find Bedside Mode settings on a Droid.

By the way, you may want to look at the bottom of page 2 on the Verizon Bulletin. This will confirm that the Droid will power on when charging. There is other useful info there as well

Motorola Droid OTA Update Coming December 11th? | Android Phone Fans
    Talk about helpful. Why are people talking to me about a Blackberry in the Android section?
    11-22-09 03:16 PM
    Talk about helpful. Why are people talking to me about a Blackberry in the Android section?
    They probably just clicked on New Posts and didn't realize they were in the Android forum...or they're stupid... I prefer to hope for the former, not the latter :-)
    11-22-09 03:58 PM
    So did you figure out how to put it to sleep at night more or less like a BB in the bedside mode. With all the wowy stuff it does it has to be able to be charged at night without waking you up with a lightshow lol.
    11-22-09 04:19 PM
    So did you figure out how to put it to sleep at night more or less like a BB in the bedside mode. With all the wowy stuff it does it has to be able to be charged at night without waking you up with a lightshow lol.
    Nope, still haven't figured it out and it's looking like it doesn't exist.
    11-22-09 04:22 PM
    There have a been instances where I go to sleep with a 75% charge and wake up to a nearly empty battery. I don't normally pay attention to whatever application is responsible for the battery drain but "Google Places" caused it once and I also think SportsTap and possibly e-mail.

Here's what I have been doing to avoid battery drain situations.

1. Since the phone will reboot so quickly anyways, just give it a quick reboot before bed and it will turn off any background process that may potentially drain the battery. I know there are app killer programs to download, but rebooting is such a quick and simple way start from scratch.

2. If you have limited time and need to charge the battery as fast as possible, reboot the phone to get rid of any background processes that may be draining the battery and make sure to turn the screen off if it's set to remain on while charging.

I don't really know if there is a solutions for battery drain problems except just to know the phone's limitations. I'm sure google could tweak their OS to give the user better battery usage data and options to kill non-native processes that are needlessly sucking juice while the phone is sitting inactive.
    11-22-09 04:35 PM
    2. If you have limited time and need to charge the battery as fast as possible, reboot the phone to get rid of any background processes that may be draining the battery and make sure to turn the screen off if it's set to remain on while charging.
    Where in the Droid specifically does the option for this setting exist?
    11-22-09 04:39 PM
    Nope, still haven't figured it out and it's looking like it doesn't exist.
    Check out DockRunner in the Market. It's free and it will basically emulate putting your Droid in the charging dock. You'll get a screen with big clock, weather widget, and options to dim the screen, play a slideshow of your photos and play music. Also access to the Alarm clock. This is similar to Bedside mode on the BB, only with a few more features.
    11-22-09 04:57 PM
    Where in the Droid specifically does the option for this setting exist?

Settings => Applications => Development => Stay awake

And before you say anything, yes, I agree it should be located in the Sound & display settings.
    11-22-09 05:13 PM
    Check out DockRunner in the Market. It's free and it will basically emulate putting your Droid in the charging dock. You'll get a screen with big clock, weather widget, and options to dim the screen, play a slideshow of your photos and play music. Also access to the Alarm clock. This is similar to Bedside mode on the BB, only with a few more features.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. To be honest with you I wasn't even happy with the BB bedside mode but it was certainly a better solution than the Droid seems to come with... nothing. What I liked best was how I could set my Nokia phone's alarm and power it off. Then, when the time came for the alarm to sound it would power up to sound the alarm and at that point you could snooze or turn off the alarm and then it asked if you wanted the phone on or off so with one press you could turn it on. I realize this isn't ideal for everyone but I'm a VERY light sleeper and if I'm awoke I don't go back to sleep so for me I don't want a tone or vibrate or anything out of my phone.
    11-22-09 05:23 PM
    Settings => Applications => Development => Stay awake

And before you say anything, yes, I agree it should be located in the Sound & display settings.
    So this will basically tell the phone to not do anything when plugged in, right? So if I plug it in and push the lock button it will lock the phone, turn off the backlight and then stay that way until I do something else, right?
    11-22-09 05:25 PM
    So this will basically tell the phone to not do anything when plugged in, right? So if I plug it in and push the lock button it will lock the phone, turn off the backlight and then stay that way until I do something else, right?
    Yes, there will be no difference between plugged and unplugged when Stay awake is disabled. This setting is disabled by default, and recently I was thinking it was better to leave it disabled for faster charging with less hassle.

Edit:

Install the free doc runner application and run it while plugged in. This will give you the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by Roffles; 11-22-09 at 05:42 PM.
    11-22-09 05:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD