Can anyone explain what is the concept of ROOT in andriod phones and how to ROOT a phone before installing custom themes?

Thanks.
    06-09-11 03:06 AM
    Rooting in Android is akin to jailbreaking in iOS; basically, you get administrative rights on your device.

It allows you to do things and install items ordinarily not available to you.

While the process is similar across Linux-based devices, there are different utilities and methods for achieving root, and some ways are easier than others. For example, unrEVOked is popular amongst EVO owners. Some folks use the less-straightforward adb method. Some devices have more rooting utilities developed than others.

Let me add this: rooting opens the doors to custom ROMs, kernels and more. A lot of theming you see, however, can be achieved without root.
    muaeen likes this.
    06-09-11 06:43 AM
    How does this affect your warranty or overall relationship with your provider? Cust service etc?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-11 11:03 AM
    How does this affect your warranty or overall relationship with your provider? Cust service etc?

In theory you is supposed to void your warranty. Kinda similar if you load a leaked BB OS on to your BB.

However if it is a hardware problem(broken screen, water damage & etc...). I don't really see how that can be attributed to a device that is rooted.

If you have a software problem or an issue that can be attributed to a software issue; lags, force closes, & etc... Then you carrier might blame it on your device being rooted and will not honour the warranty. Best thing to do in that case is to unroot your phone before going to your carrier.

But please note that rooting itself does not nothing to your phone. It just gives you "administrator access", much like on your Windows PC.
    06-09-11 12:23 PM
    In theory you is supposed to void your warranty. Kinda similar if you load a leaked BB OS on to your BB.

However if it is a hardware problem(broken screen, water damage & etc...). I don't really see how that can be attributed to a device that is rooted.

If you have a software problem or an issue that can be attributed to a software issue; lags, force closes, & etc... Then you carrier might blame it on your device being rooted and will not honour the warranty. Best thing to do in that case is to unroot your phone before going to your carrier.

But please note that rooting itself does not nothing to your phone. It just gives you "administrator access", much like on your Windows PC.
    Well said.
    On Android Central, a supposed leaked document suggests that at least one of the major US carriers is training employers to ignore root status when dealing with problem devices.
    06-09-11 05:03 PM
    Cool

06-09-11 10:14 PM
    Are there limitations to rooting a phone? I hear some applications may give you issues.

I have a g2 and the only reason why I would consider rooting a phone is to get rid of bloatware. I am hoping htc makes their policy of removing bloatware retroactive.
    06-10-11 07:43 AM
    Are there limitations to rooting a phone? I hear some applications may give you issues.

I have a g2 and the only reason why I would consider rooting a phone is to get rid of bloatware. I am hoping htc makes their policy of removing bloatware retroactive.
    Yes... some apps (Google Talk comes to mind) are necessary for other system apps/functions.

There are lists of safe apps to remove. Removed bloatware can sometimes create issues when you want to upgrade stock OS, so keep that in mind.
    06-10-11 10:18 AM

Use an app like Bloat Freezer that just moves and renames the bloat to the SD Card (effectively hiding it from the system). In the event you removed something that you find you need, Bloat Freezer can move it back.
    06-10-11 11:30 AM
    There are some apps (like some of the streaming video apps) that check to see if your device is rooted. If so, they error out and won't let you run the app. There aren't too many apps that do this, though.
    06-10-11 11:35 AM
    Comes from UNIX. root is the super user. It can remove everything, install anything

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    06-15-11 10:11 AM

In my opinion, the only reason to root a G2 is to remove crapware. Other than that, there's no need to root a Vanilla Android device.
    06-15-11 05:13 PM
    In my opinion, the only reason to root a G2 is to remove crapware. Other than that, there's no need to root a Vanilla Android device.
    Ad Free, Screenshots, and free WiFi tethering, are all pretty nice too.
    06-15-11 05:24 PM
    Bloat Freezer comes in handy to "freeze" bloatware (rather then deleting it). You can defrost apps if you need to add them back in as well.

I also use Keyboard Manager, which automatically switches keyboards based on orientation. I have it set up to use Swype in portrait, and SwiftKey in landscape.

Plus, I use Titanium Backup to backup all settings and applications (which requires root access).
    06-15-11 05:43 PM
    Ad Free, Screenshots, and free WiFi tethering, are all pretty nice too.
    Agreed. I like having the ability to manipulate my phone as much as I want

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    06-15-11 05:51 PM
    Being able to backup all of your apps and their settings is huge for me.
    I use Titanium Backup for that.
    If I happen to wipe my device, I can restore all of them just as they were prior to the wipe.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    06-30-11 11:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD