So I went to VZW and played with the Motorola Droid. I had my BB Tour with me so I compared the internet on both. I entered a web site that I always go to and hit enter at the same time. When the Droid was done the BB was only half way done and then it has to load the images. I mess around with other features and it will take time getting use to the a different OS but I had to get use to the BB OS also so no big deal. Also I don't know why people are saying that its a brick it weights just much as the BB storm2. Also the why do people also complane about the slide out key board you don't have to use it. You can use it just like the storm no need to slide out the key board. I am mostlly into internet usage so it works perfect for me. Know I just need to get rid of my storm1 and my tour so I can get it. Sucks I have to pay full retail but I'm try to see if best buy sells them with out a contract. They have it for 499 and I know someone at the store so maybe he can hook me up.
    11-23-09 08:36 AM
    I for one LOVE the slide out keyboard. Its awesome! Just takes a week or so to get used to it.
    11-23-09 08:41 AM
    hey the droid is worth full retail. I paid full for the tour and i feel totally ripped off. The OS the lack of apps. The trackball just got on my nerves. The trackball worked but who wants to roll a ball. Yes the droid is superior to every BB on the market and you will be happy. Also if you need a memo pad or a voice recorder they are all in the marketplace. Android has so many apps and you dont really have to worry about memory like you did when you were with BB. The OS kills apps that arent being used. Amazing device.
    11-23-09 08:43 AM
    Not sure I would pay full retail for it, but its definitely leaps and bounds better than a tour. I cant complain about the slider, then again i never use it. I like the virtual keyboard better. I have had the phone for a week now and I have probably used the slide out once or twice just to try it.
    11-23-09 09:00 AM
    For all that it can do and with its speed, I would say the Droid is worth full retail.

I paid the one-year price for it but I was prepared to pay full retail for it. I played with my friend's droid for a few days so I knew what I was getting into and I thought it was well worth it. I got lucky because the rep at the store found an upgrade on my account that I didn't know I had (I have five lines on my account). But like I said I would have paid full retail for it.
    11-23-09 09:06 AM
    Well I really want it but I'm hesitant to pay almost 600 bucks for it. My tour is. Brand new (it a replacement phone) I haven't activated it yet. I have to send my current tour back and I don't think I will activate it. Ill stay using the storm. Its true the trackball get annoying after a while and I don't like the small screen. In the end I will have to break down and buy it but like I said I am trying out my best buy connection first to see what he can do for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 09:10 AM
    good join the clan you will be more happy you did. In the android forums people are more civil than the crackberry rooms. But the phone is that amazing thats why.
    11-23-09 09:13 AM
    Best Buy has them for full retail, but its not 499, its 599. Better off getting it from verizon for full retail.
    11-23-09 10:17 AM
    What's the point of paying full retail for a CDMA device again? I forgot..

I can see the reason for paying full retail for a GSM device, because the carrier is legally obligated to give you the unlock code, so you can use pre-paid SIM's, or another GSM carrier.

You can't do that with a CDMA device..so what was the reason for paying full retail on a CDMA device again?
    11-23-09 10:18 AM
    Because maybe they want the phone and they know they're not going to switch carriers? If you have the money and want the phone, why not?
    11-23-09 10:39 AM
    Still doesn't make sense. If I go to Sprint and buy an HTC Hero, I can pay their regular payment, whatever it is, $199? and I own the phone, it's only "official" once the contract is done.

So, it's either, pay a bunch of money upfront and have a lower monthly payment.. or pay minimal up front and have a slightly bigger monthly payment..

I just never understood the reasons for paying full retail for CDMA.. you don't get any of the benefits you do with a GSM device.
    11-23-09 10:43 AM
    I would switch to the Droid solely for the browser. It's that good.
    11-23-09 10:43 AM
    The droid ROCKS. a ton better then the storm. there are issues but they are small compared to how great the phone is.
    11-23-09 10:48 AM
    people buy it full retail because they are sick of the phone they are in contract with. I did paid full for the tour. Bad choice because now since i got my droid the tour is a 500 dollar paper weight. Today was the first time i put the tour on the charger. I may use the tour for a few hours today so i feel like i am not wasting money lol
    11-23-09 10:58 AM
    So I went to VZW and played with the Motorola Droid. I had my BB Tour with me so I compared the internet on both. I entered a web site that I always go to and hit enter at the same time. When the Droid was done the BB was only half way done and then it has to load the images. I mess around with other features and it will take time getting use to the a different OS but I had to get use to the BB OS also so no big deal. Also I don't know why people are saying that its a brick it weights just much as the BB storm2. Also the why do people also complane about the slide out key board you don't have to use it. You can use it just like the storm no need to slide out the key board. I am mostlly into internet usage so it works perfect for me. Know I just need to get rid of my storm1 and my tour so I can get it. Sucks I have to pay full retail but I'm try to see if best buy sells them with out a contract. They have it for 499 and I know someone at the store so maybe he can hook me up.
    They say it is brick because it is loaded with quality hardware, though much smaller than the storm so it is very pocket able. Motorola may be looked at by apple fannies as ugly, but those of us that appreciate the fact that the droid was engineered to be as different in every area possible..LOVE IT! It feels cheep, and unoriginal having a phone that was modeled after the iPhone (opinion)
    11-23-09 11:04 AM
    Say you're only about a year or less into your 2 year Vzn deal and now you want a Droid. Will they deal with you if you contact the "retention dept."? By that I mean will they give you a Droid for less than the sticker price if you extend your contract for 2 more years? A friend of mine just got 8330's for he and his wife from Sprint. They switched because they were not eligible for an upgrade with Vzn (longtime customers, not terrible phone saavy, this is their first smartphone). Vzn told them to take a hike if they didn't want to pay $500 each for 8330's! They were ticked and headed for Sprint for 2 years. I'd like to know if anyone's gotten Vzn to loosen their upgrade rules a little to keep theml. I know ATT did when the Bold came out.
    11-23-09 11:20 AM
    I went to the Verizon store this past weekend to get my hands on one, and I gotta say I was blown away by it.

I love my Curve, but after doing some browsing on the Droid my Curve feels like dial-up on a 486. The screen resolution and speed were light years ahead of the Curve.

I'm stuck with my current contract until April. I was planning on upgrading to either the Curve 2 or the Tour but its going to be really hard not to pick up one of these babies.
    11-23-09 12:20 PM
    Thinking of moving to the HTC Droid Eris when my upgrade comes up on 12/9
    11-23-09 12:31 PM
    I just call best buy and that's correct 599. I so have a 50 dollar gift card from them so it will be 550 vzw has it for 559 and they won't give me any breaks. And the reason to buy a cdma at full retail is because I am not going to leave vzw I have has no problems with them in the 8 years I've had them. The reception is always good especialy where I work. I get better reception than any other carrier here. What I find funny is that a friend of mines here at work has a iphone and when he is showing full bars which is all the time I tell him to let me borrow it and I will download a web page on his and on mines. Mine will have 2 bars and we both get to the site at the same time. Now would u think him having full bars would get there quicker well it doesn't. For some reason the iphones always (at least everytime I look at his) has full bars but yet it won't access the web. Anyways I am tring to see what I do. I have the storm and the tour up on eBay so I will see what happens.

11-23-09 12:57 PM
    What I find funny is that a friend of mines here at work has a iphone and when he is showing full bars which is all the time I tell him to let me borrow it and I will download a web page on his and on mines. Mine will have 2 bars and we both get to the site at the same time. Now would u think him having full bars would get there quicker well it doesn't. For some reason the iphones always (at least everytime I look at his) has full bars but yet it won't access the web.

It depends, the iPhone has full bars of signal, but on what? Edge, or 3G coverage? There is a big difference. You didn't say, but what model iPhone does your friend have?
    11-23-09 01:42 PM
    Just the memory management on the Droid makes me jump for joy over my Storm 1.

QuickPull... Battery Pulls... no more, and I couldn't be happier.
    11-23-09 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD