...But I am finally going to try Android. My Storm 2 is still a very capable device but it just doesn't do all the things I would like anymore. My Calendar capability has been lacking, work email stopped supporting my blackberry (forcing me to bounce emails through Gmail), and media capability has become a bigger and bigger issue for me the past several months.

I got my Droid X ordered this morning. I picked up a CPO for 99 bucks. I was going to wait for the Bionic but LTE won't hit my area for a long time and I know my wife won't get one. Since the other reason for getting the Bionic would have been the video chat capability it wouldn't have mattered.

My wife just rolled her eyes at me when I told her I was upgrading, lol. (She doesn't get it ) So now I just need to acquaint myself with Froyo and get this bad boy Rooted and tweaked once it gets here!

Maybe once RIM releases a dual core QNX powered monster touchscreen device I will hop on the Blackberry bus again, but for the next year or two I guess I am all Droid.

EDIT:

I still plan on hanging around but I won't be one of the RIM bashers. I still like Blackberry. Just not the current crop (Playbook excluded).
    Last edited by adambigge; 01-17-11 at 08:07 AM.
    01-17-11 07:59 AM
    Cool. I see myself leaving my iPhone for the Atrix easily. There's great things I like about it, and there's things I hate. I've played with some android phones a fair amount recently and I think it'll be a good switch. Also had a 9700 at launch just over a year ago.

Not to go too far back but I had an iPhone before the 9700. Then went to a Palm Pre Plus (which I think is still the best mobile OS) then to iPhone 4. Gonna finally make my move to Android soon.

Just curious but what are you finding lacking if you could elaborate a little? I had a 9700 and found it lacking. I mean, I'm not a heavy gamer or even heavy 3rd party app user on the iPhone, I came from an iPhone 3G before the 9700 so the bigger screen is definitely preferred. I also could not stand the html email on the BB, and overall just felt the BB starting to get dated. At times when I had to wait for something (say at a doctor's office), I found the iPhone to help pass the time much easier with the apps/games, browser, and plethora of time-wasting options. Never got that same past-time out of a BB. I use my iPhone primarily for voice, text and data. However, when I need to waste time, the games and other stuff is a big welcome. I'm sure I'll enjoy the same things with the Atrix.

Should be interesting to see what BB will do with the new qnx OS, if that's where they're headed for their phones also. If not, then I don't know if I'll come back to a BB.
    01-17-11 08:27 AM
    Maybe once RIM releases a dual core QNX powered monster touchscreen device I will hop on the Blackberry bus again, but for the next year or two I guess I am all Droid.

EDIT:

I still plan on hanging around but I won't be one of the RIM bashers. I still like Blackberry. Just not the current crop (Playbook excluded).
    Welcome aboard! I think most of the Android users on this site are still pro-RIM..or at least pro-competition. The main reason I left my Torch was simply due to the processor. Compared to my wifes i4 and the Androids I had seen..the web browsing was still slow (especially on a data intensive full site) and looking thru my pictures was a painful process at times. Other than that..i liked everything else about it.

Of course..once you get the feel for Android and it's level of customization..you may not feel the need to ever go back. It's definately a fun platform once you get the hang of it..although that in itself can be fairly daunting depending on how you are technically.
    01-17-11 09:03 AM
    i honestly just want a storm 3 with QNX and not 6.1. i would love to play with that. But that device would really have to be excellent to bring me back to BB fully.

Android is a whole different world with its ups and downs as well but i think most get past the downs quit fast. Enjoy the X its a great phone!
    01-17-11 09:13 AM
    Welcome aboard! I think most of the Android users on this site are still pro-RIM..or at least pro-competition. The main reason I left my Torch was simply due to the processor. Compared to my wifes i4 and the Androids I had seen..the web browsing was still slow (especially on a data intensive full site) and looking thru my pictures was a painful process at times. Other than that..i liked everything else about it.

Of course..once you get the feel for Android and it's level of customization..you may not feel the need to ever go back. It's definately a fun platform once you get the hang of it..although that in itself can be fairly daunting depending on how you are technically.
    Agreed. I don't see myself using a Blackberry in the near future, even with the recent leaks - just doesn't excite me compared to what's coming from the Android front and new iPhones every year.

I know there's always people who prefer the hard keyboard over a soft one but at least the BB hard keyboard will always be there for those that need it. My gf prefers a hard keyboard but she's told me she wants an Android as her next phone. Gonna get Atrixes for both of us come March or whenever it launches.
    01-17-11 09:33 AM
    Agreed. I don't see myself using a Blackberry in the near future, even with the recent leaks - just doesn't excite me compared to what's coming from the Android front and new iPhones every year.

I know there's always people who prefer the hard keyboard over a soft one but at least the BB hard keyboard will always be there for those that need it. My gf prefers a hard keyboard but she's told me she wants an Android as her next phone. Gonna get Atrixes for both of us come March or whenever it launches.
    You GF prefers it hard, eh? No suprise there. hehe! sorry-I COULDN'T resist. Your GF wants an Android? Sounds like an intelligent gal!
    01-17-11 09:55 AM
    Just curious but what are you finding lacking if you could elaborate a little? I had a 9700 and found it lacking. I mean, I'm not a heavy gamer or even heavy 3rd party app user on the iPhone, I came from an iPhone 3G before the 9700 so the bigger screen is definitely preferred.
    I think speed is one of my main concerns. My Storm chugs right along but it isn't nearly as snappy as many of the Droids are. Screen size is another, the Droid X screen may be a battery hog but it looks beautiful. Web browsing (on VZW BB's) is something I have really been hoping would improve over the past 4 years.... alas. It remains horrible. Finally will have flash on Droid. The media functions are adequate (wish I could have gotten divx back though) but the Droid X will enable me to use HDMI to stream movies to a TV. That will help a lot during long shifts at work when nothing is happening. App selection is a big one. I have been looking for an affordable alternative to the basic calendar, memo, lists, tasks, and address book.... and have been very frustrated. I work a special shift and am unable to find a firefighters calendar app for my BB. Even though Droid and Apple have them available. When at home I have specific lists of things to do and it would be nice to be able to manage it all on my device with something easier to manage that the tasks/lists app on BB. Mobile hot-spotting is something I have been wanting too. Navigation via Google is phenomenal and I am going to be really excited to have that available to me now. Same goes for Google Voice search.

What else....OH, yeah....RAM, lol. I will finally have a phone that has 512 MB of RAM. And while I know that BB OS is very customizable, I have really been impressed with the variety of addons, custom roms, and UI's that Android has available.

Mail will be a wash. Messaging as well, since I am already used to a touch device, call quality will probably be better on the Droid X. Ever since the latest update my S2 has had a very tinny or robotic sound quality.

Then there is also the "Child" factor. I have 3 kids (6, 4, & 3) with another due in a couple weeks. There are times (on the road, in church, in waiting rooms.....) when I need to be able to occupy them with a game, movie, etc.... and Blackberries are NOT toys. They weren't meant to be and I have no problem with that. The Droid X is also NOT a toy but it does have a plethora (I like that word) of options available for entertaining my little horde of midgets that BB just doesn't have.

But most of all.................. I will now have a new toy myself!

None of this is meant to bash or badmouth RIM or Blackberries in general. I just want to try something new and Android has what I am looking for, for now..... (come on QNX!*crosses fingers*)
    Last edited by adambigge; 01-17-11 at 10:21 AM.
    01-17-11 10:17 AM
    By the time the Storm 3 is released it will have the hardware of 18 month old Android devices...
    01-17-11 10:20 AM
    Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the info on the rumored/upcoming S3.

I am hoping that once RIM gets the details ironed out with QNX they will be able to focus on hardware for their phones that will push that OS to it's limits.
    01-17-11 10:26 AM
    welcome to the android side and congrats on the new baby that will soon arrive
    01-19-11 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD