Android Central Posted this: http://www.androidcentral.com/want-m...credible-specs

I'm really starting to think Verizon is going to allow us to tether this thing without an additional package.

Reasons:

1. In the picture at Android Central it shows "Mobile Broadband Connect" which is Verizon's tethering package for smartphones. Normally it's $30 but on the phones its available on it usually says "Mobile Broadband Connect Capable". It doesn't on the picture. True they could have just not put capable at then end but they have "Backup Assistant Capable" which cost $1.99.

2. Page 137 of the user manual states that you can use the phone as a modem with no mention of requiring an additional tethering package. In other manuals for smartphones on Verizon that mention phone as modem it's noted that an additional tethering package is required.

3. They allow Mobile Hotspot on the Pre and Pixi for free. It was $40 up until last week.

It could just be wishful thinking and me reading to much into it but it makes sense and would be a great bonus.

Thoughts?
    04-08-10 04:05 PM
    I think the Pixi/Pre deal should be taken with a huge grain of salt - they're getting desperate and needed to move those phones.

I'm hopeful, but not too concerned as there are free android apps that already do this.
    04-08-10 05:43 PM
    So the hotspot is now free on the Pre's?
    04-08-10 06:43 PM
    That's an interesting question - does the free hotspot thing apply only to new Pres/Pixis, or all of them?
    04-08-10 07:02 PM
    All of them. It will show on your next billing cycle if you already have it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 10:49 PM
    I just use WiFi tether on my Droid...that app is a lifesaver. If it were official that would be cool, but this works great.

I certainly wouldn't pay for the functionality. I send VZW plenty of money already.
    04-09-10 11:46 AM
    I have WiFi app set up on my Droid for free. No reason to pay Verizon.

04-10-10 01:26 PM
    in the manual for many phones it states that it can be used as a modem.. all this means is that the phone hardware is technically capable of such functionality.. it does not mean that either the carrier offers that service or offers it for free..

However I CERTAINLY hope that is the case for your HTC incredible.. not only do you VZ customers pay enough as it is but this would place competitive pressure on Sprint not to charge for hotspot service...
    04-10-10 01:54 PM
    I don't see why this would be a concern. Tons of free apps allow you to tether for free on your Android and unless you're doing soemthing nutty like torrenting movies, I don't know how VZW would know you were doing it.

04-10-10 02:47 PM
    I don't get why this would be a big deal at all....? With Android, just go to the market and download the tether app. It's free and you don't even need root...end of story. In the end this may be why VZW includes it on the phones; because they can't stop it. IMO this is a non-issue and certainly not a deciding factor in buying the Incredible.
    04-10-10 08:07 PM
    I don't get why this would be a big deal at all....? With Android, just go to the market and download the tether app. It's free and you don't even need root...end of story. In the end this may be why VZW includes it on the phones; because they can't stop it. IMO this is a non-issue and certainly not a deciding factor in buying the Incredible.
    +1

10 chara
    04-11-10 01:12 PM
    I don't get why this would be a big deal at all....? With Android, just go to the market and download the tether app. It's free and you don't even need root...
    only free tethering apps i know of require root.

either way, the incredible will be rooted and get free wireless tethering...even if vzw doesn't offer it. @vzw
    04-11-10 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD