or perhaps it's just me. I went in the other day to look at the new Storm2. I approached the device and some Verizon dude said "How ya doing?" I said, "Just wanted to check out the new Storm2." He said, "Ok, but the REALLY new one is the Droid!!" like it had just given him a great handjob or something.

So I checked it out a little. Hated the keyboard, hated the D-pad, hated the fact that the slider doesn't *SHPROING* in via a spring like most sliders do these days. You have to push it all the way in till it clicks. Very XV6700.

Anyway, not here to Droid-bash. So while I was fiddling with it, the Verizon dudes ushered 2 more people over to the Droid, who stood watching over my shoulder as I fuked with it. Finally I felt so weird with these people looking at the device in my hands that I just put it down and left.
    11-10-09 12:38 AM
    or perhaps it's just me. I went in the other day to look at the new Storm2. I approached the device and some Verizon dude said "How ya doing?" I said, "Just wanted to check out the new Storm2." He said, "Ok, but the REALLY new one is the Droid!!" like it had just given him a great handjob or something.

So I checked it out a little. Hated the keyboard, hated the D-pad, hated the fact that the slider doesn't *SHPROING* in via a spring like most sliders do these days. You have to push it all the way in till it clicks. Very XV6700.

Anyway, not here to Droid-bash. So while I was fiddling with it, the Verizon dudes ushered 2 more people over to the Droid, who stood watching over my shoulder as I fuked with it. Finally I felt so weird with these people looking at the device in my hands that I just put it down and left.
    I saw the same thing. A guy was trying to buy 2 Eris and the salesman nearly had him convinced to get the Droid. I spoke to the guy after the clerk when whoring off on someone else, and showed him my Hero. He got the Eris.
    11-10-09 12:41 AM
    lol... my reps just say can I help you? I answer "just checkin out the Droid and Eris" and they say "ok, let me know if you need anything!"

Very passive people.
    I lol'd at the handjob comment. haha
    11-10-09 01:13 AM
    lol... my reps just say can I help you? I answer "just checkin out the Droid and Eris" and they say "ok, let me know if you need anything!"

Very passive people.
    I lol'd at the handjob comment. haha
    Yep, that handjob comment was pure gold.
    11-10-09 02:32 AM
    well those reps shouldn't be with the company then.... they are supposed to quailify the custs. to put them in the right device.
    11-10-09 04:37 AM
    well those reps shouldn't be with the company then.... they are supposed to quailify the custs. to put them in the right device.
    That's called 'needs based selling'. The rep profiles the customer, asking probing questions regarding how the customer intends to use the device and what features are important, and then makes a series of recommendations based upon that information.

Unfortunately, if there's a line out the door, needs based selling often times goes out the window due to its time consuming nature, and the salesperson "cuts to the chase" and suggests the device the customer would most likely select anyway. Right now that device is the Droid.

Also, quite frankly, why recommend a device who's predecessor had a tremendously high return rate and was often prone to failure? Why not save aggravation for both the customer and the store's customer service area by suggesting a device that has yet to show any evidence of failing en masse?

Now I know the Storm2 has yet to show those traits either (aside from the escape key issue), but I say once bitten twice shy.

Besides, they'd feel a bit like a PC if they said, "And the Storm2 isn't going to have any of the problems the Storm1 had....trust me."
    Last edited by mikestorm; 11-10-09 at 06:17 AM.
    11-10-09 06:15 AM

I agree with you 100%. I work for vzw not in a store and expected people to come up too me. What I didn't expect was my girlfriend and I get bombarded with questions about purchasing the Droid. I went in there asking to see some accessories and they kept wondering if I were going to buy it or not. My gf and I pulled out our Droids and was like dude seriously? All I want are some accessories. And I over heard a lady asking for the Storm2 because her company has blackberries and she got so mad because someone offered her a Droid. I completely agree with this post. They shouldn't be doing that. If someone asked me about a Storm2, Tour, Curve, Eris,Droid or even something like a Moto Rival, imma sell the ish outta that device. Its ridiculous
    11-10-09 08:41 AM
    They pimp the Droid because they make extra $$ if you select it probably. Sort of an introductory offer thing. Some places do in house promotions, give you keys to the executive washroom or frequent Coke machine miles if you pimp the Droid.
    11-10-09 09:18 AM
    Well it is the best device that Verizon has right now. I can't see my self going back to a blackberry. All the negative comments are from people that don't even have the phone. This phone is a tech lovers dream.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 09:35 AM
    it's a great device being well recieved . Is there something wrong with steering a customer to purchase a great device? The answer is no......

Why get so bent out of shape over something so meaningless? lol

Who cares. It's the best device VZW has, actually out on the market now, and they want to sell it. Isn't that unusual. I never heard of anything like that : )

Too much hate going on from the non users......we need some love in here. Everybody lets join hands now...........
    Last edited by cereal killer; 11-10-09 at 09:53 AM.
    11-10-09 09:50 AM
    .... and sing Kumbaya
    11-10-09 09:57 AM
    Test out both screens and I guarantee you will like the Droid's better than the Storm 2. S2's screen is a joke compared to Droid.

And I'm not sure what you are talking about with the slider function.

"*SHPROING* in via a spring like most sliders do these days." Huh? It's call sturdy, quality construction. Not sure what you are wanting it to do.
    11-10-09 10:14 AM
    I can't join hands, that would require me to put my Droid down. Not happening.
    11-10-09 10:23 AM
    I've got nothing against the Droid OS, I just don't like the ergonomics of the hardware.

And I think the poster who said probably Verizon is getting a bigger cut from Droids is right. I have a feeling VZW Corporate is telling its stores to push the device. Its margin is probably higher, or maybe they overstocked them thinking they'd sell more, or any number of things. But when I was in the store I got a definite feeling that the sales people had been told to "get these Droids out the door."
    11-10-09 11:31 AM
    I've got nothing against the Droid OS, I just don't like the ergonomics of the hardware.

And I think the poster who said probably Verizon is getting a bigger cut from Droids is right. I have a feeling VZW Corporate is telling its stores to push the device. Its margin is probably higher, or maybe they overstocked them thinking they'd sell more, or any number of things. But when I was in the store I got a definite feeling that the sales people had been told to "get these Droids out the door."
    well of course they would tell them that. Again, it's a solid device and being VERY well recieved why would they NOT push it? High margins? They are not making any $$$ on them for christ sake. They are going for $199.00

It's just good business. If I had a great product I'd want everybody to have it as well. They tell their friends and their friends tell their friends and on and on it goes. It's business and they finally have a great device in their line-up so they are pushing it.
    11-10-09 11:46 AM
    Lmao. No spring action? Awesome. My slider won't go bad when the spring goes out then? Nice.

That makes me happier I bought the device - oh wait, I already know good build quality when I see it.
    11-10-09 11:51 AM
    Maybe they r pushing the Droid now because better devices are coming in the near future and their either a have to sell a certain quota of Motorola or b they want them to use their upgrade because the next phones that r coming out r so amazing that people would actually pay full price. This is a total guess and probably wrong but I am just wishful thinking a device with 2.0 with snap drag n sense comes out sooner than later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 11:54 AM

Welcome to the free market. It's not as if the sales people are twisting arms and forcing these people to buy the Droid.

I wonder if you guys would have been complaining if the Droid was a better form factor. I agree that its form factor is old school, but the truly promising aspect of the Droid is the OS and where it is headed...

Apple is a far worse offender than Motorola, Google or VZW (okay...VZW is a close 2nd with Apple. lol.). Apple falsely promotes an OS as hacker-proof despite the fact that hackers can crack the OS in under 10 seconds. Most of the software had to be - probably still does - purchased from Apple. Apple pushes the iPhone and locks it down so that just about anything you use 'legally' is purchased from Apple. iTunes and the iPod are other jails that Apple also built.

Considering the new commitment to open source development, I'll gladly take a minute to listen to some overzealous sales people about any Android device -- might learn something new!
    11-10-09 12:11 PM
    LOL I always enjoy fanboys. I guess it's natural to get your own ego wrapped upon in something else. People do it with their children all the time.

But I think you fanboys are looking at it from a real pollyanna-ish perspective. There's hardly any widespread consensus that the Droid is an "excellent" phone yet. It might very well be. But more likely it's a decent phone with its ups and downs.

Corporate types don't sit around saying, "Wow! This is such a great phone! Let's have our sales reps push it out the door because it's going to bring joy to so many people through its uber-excellence!!"

No, they sit around and go, "We ordered XXXXXX of these machines, the margin is $XXX, we have to sell XXXXX of them a day to give our shareholders a quarterly earnings ratio of XXXXX. We're only selling XXXXX a day. So get word out to the stores to bump up their sales of this device by XXX%."

So the question is, really, fanboys aside, WHY REALLY are they pumping the Droid, if in fact they are pumping the droid?
    11-10-09 12:18 PM

So the question is, really, fanboys aside, WHY REALLY are they pumping the Droid, if in fact they are pumping the droid?
    I hardly qualify as a fanboi of anything. And, you've already answered your own question. (hint: it has something to do with money. lol.)

All I'm saying is that there is a potential benefit in the Droid's OS - thanks to open development - that is yet unrealized. It's great to see the biggest player in the US mobile market, VZW, is participating in its promotion and development.

And, really...if pushy sales people & interested shoppers make you walk out of the store, you need to say "no thanks" and go about satisfying your own needs. Coming to a public forum to cry about it is...well, weak.
    11-10-09 12:34 PM
    My personal feeling is that whilst in the summer there was a suspicion of iphone going to verizon those in the know knew this was not going to happen

so they have pushed the droid as the be all and end all and after the storm debacle they need the droid to work

I suspect people are wise to these new phones and are testing it now before they commit to a 2 year contract

I tried it in the local store...me no like it
    11-10-09 12:47 PM
    Furballz are you even aware that they don't make any money on the sale of the device and IF they did it would be very little. They make money on the plans. You would have a point if they were selling them on contract for $500.00.

Again, it's the best phone in VZW's line-up and arguably the best on the market right now. It's gotten a TON of coverage on all the media outlets. They obviously want to bring in new customers and also get the product out to existing customers. Word of mouth goes a long way.

It's VZW's iPhone.........it's not that hard to figure out.
    11-10-09 01:03 PM
    Again, it's the best phone in VZW's line-up and arguably the best on the market right now.
    ahahhehehe Not a fanboy eh? Hardly the best in VZ's lineup, and not even top 20 on the market. Sorry.
    11-10-09 01:07 PM
    Coming to a public forum to cry about it is...well, weak.
    I think you got the wrong impression. I was more entertained by it, than crying about it. Though I have to admit that having strangers look over my shoulder and breathe in my ear does give me the bad willies.
    11-10-09 01:09 PM
    so they have pushed the droid as the be all and end all and after the storm debacle they need the droid to work
    I think this is probably the best analysis so far. They're desperately pushing an "iPhone killer" just as all other providers are. Corporations have no ability to think for themselves, with the noted exceptions of Apple and sometimes Google.

Yes, this makes sense to me.
    11-10-09 01:11 PM
122 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD