I've seen a need for something like this so I figured I'd post a little write up for people.

As many of you may(or may not) know BIS is a server that polls your email accounts and then pushes new emails to your Blackberry. BB users who have switched to Android can get this functionality back by using a Gmail account as a pseudo BIS server. Here's how:

To start you need a non-gmail(POP3 enabled) email address that you would like pushed to your android device and a gmail account. You can use your current gmail or create a new one(I recommend a new account for reasons which will be obvious later). I created a new gmail that had the same handle as my hotmail account just (at)gmail instead of (at)hotmail but it really doesn't matter because nobody will ever see the gmail address.

1.) Determine the POP3 settings for your email account. You can usually find these via a quick google or search through your email provider's support section. *Note: this may not be necessary but it's good to know just in case.

2.) Log in to the gmail account that you wish to use as your pseudo BIS.

3.) Go to the settings panel in gmail and select "Accounts and Import". This is where you will setup your gmail server. I'll be focusing on the "Send mail as:" and "Check mail using POP3:" but if you have contacts in your non-gmail account that you want to pull over you can do that now using the "Import mail and contacts:" function.

4.) First, let's setup the "Check mail using POP3:" function. Input your email address and gmail should figure out all the settings but if it can't you need to manually input the settings you found in Step 1(or did you skip that one cause you were to excited? ). Then go through and select your options for leaving mail on the server, etc. I recommend LEAVING a copy on the server, LABELING incoming the name of your non-gmail account, and NOT ARCHIVING. SSL is a case by case thing depending on your non-gmail provider's settings.

5.) Select add the account and gmail will start pulling over ALL your emails on the other server(this is one reason why I made a new gmail account). You should now be prompted to setup a new "From" address.

6.) Now you've gotta set things up so that your mail will still be received by others with the "From" address showing your non-gmail address. You should have been prompted to do this at the end of Step 5 but if not you can still change your "From" address under "Settings">"Accounts and Import">"Send mail as:". Select "Send mail from another address" and enter your name and non-gmail email address.

7.) Now you must select whether your mail will be sent through gmail's server or your non-gmail's server. I prefer the non-gmail server option but it's a more advanced setup. If you don't care select the gmail server and skip to Step 9.

8.) As I mentioned I prefer that my mail was sent through the non-gmail server. If you do as well then select this option and gmail should populate the SMTP settings for your server. If it doesn't you'll need to find the settings via googling or through your non-gmail's support page. Gmail will test the settings and verify that everything is functioning.

9.) Almost done. After Step 8(or 7) you should be back at the "Accounts and Import" page in settings. If not, get yourself back there. You should now see your non-gmail account setup under the "Send mail as:" and "Check mail using POP3" sections. The last thing to do is set your non-gmail address as the default sending address by clicking "make default" next to the non-gmail address. And finally, as a sort of fail-safe, I checked the "Reply from the same address the message was sent to" box under "When receiving a message:"

*Note: If you did not create a gmail account dedicated to just your non-gmail mail DO NOT make your non-gmail the default sending address. Instead you'll have to rely on the "Reply from same address..." option which means that you WILL NOT be able to COMPOSE emails from your non-gmail address in your Android's gmail app. You can reply but not compose a new message. New messages will be sent from the "default" address on the gmail account. (Make sense? This is reason number 2 why I made a new account)

And we're done!!! I'd recommend you send/receive a few test emails to verify all your setting. From my experience gmail polls other accounts in much the same way BIS does. It defaults to polling at a longer interval(not sure on the number but I think it's like 15 or 20 minutes) but will check more frequently(about every 3 mins in my experience) after it finds a new email until it quits finding new emails. So this means that worst case scenario you will get an email 15-20 minutes after it arrives but if you are in an "email conversation" with someone it will poll much quicker. So there you go. Non-Gmail push email on you Android device! You'll get better battery life, a better "on-device" email experience, and in most cases you'll get your email quicker vs. timed polling in the "email" app on the device.

*****This is just an informational write up. I take no responsibility for lost or damaged data/emails*****
    11-16-09 08:50 PM
    While I commend you on your "creativity" the only issue with this is that the emails are not kept in separate mailboxes.... which can be annoying if you're OCD.
    11-16-09 09:08 PM
    hmm, well the way it works on mine is you choose the gmail icon and you are presented with your last viewed account. you then press menu>accounts and select which account you want to view. I don't have a combined mailbox.
    11-16-09 09:15 PM
    Uhmmmm ..... I thought BIS was Blackberry Internet Service ...?
    11-16-09 11:12 PM
    I'd like to point out that as long as your outlook server has active sync, there is no need on the droid to route it through gmail, with active sync you will get push email for work.
    11-16-09 11:13 PM
    This works, but you will not get your pop3 email very fast unless you get a lot of email. Gmail will look for your email if there is not any it won't look for like 30 min again. I had it set up like that for the first few days.

What I did is forward my work pop3 email to gmail and then in gmail I have it set that my responses are sent from my work address instead of my gmail address. My other personal address I just set up in the reg mail client on the driod. I get my work email pretty much instant that way.
    11-16-09 11:18 PM
    While I commend you on your "creativity" the only issue with this is that the emails are not kept in separate mailboxes.... which can be annoying if you're OCD.
    It's not in a seperate mailbox, but they are labeled with the account they come from.
    11-16-09 11:19 PM
    Yes, both true points about activesync and forwarding. Just providing people another option.
    11-16-09 11:46 PM
    You really need to look up push email. That means instant, not 15 minutes LOL nice try though.
    11-16-09 11:53 PM
    Not sure why I'm feeding the troll but... Push email is just that, it's PUSHED to the device. The device does not have to go and PULL email from the server.

This is not INSTANT push, but it is pushed.
    11-17-09 12:03 AM
    Not sure why I'm feeding the troll but... Push email is just that, it's PUSHED to the device. The device does not have to go and PULL email from the server.

That's the way I understand it too, gmail, bis "polls" your email and when it finds a message it then pushes the messege to your device. BIS is not instant for pop email either, but it's seems to be a lot faster then the google. I'm hoping google speeds it up at some point becouse it is a really nice feature.
    11-17-09 12:34 AM
    What I did is forward my work pop3 email to gmail and then in gmail I have it set that my responses are sent from my work address instead of my gmail address. My other personal address I just set up in the reg mail client on the driod. I get my work email pretty much instant that way.
    i did the same. it works great.
    11-18-09 10:22 AM

First off thanks for the write up on how to do this, it's been very helpful! My only issue is that Gmail defaults to checking my POP3 account only once an hour not every 15-20 minutes like some others claim. You can see this info in the settings menu under Accounts and Import.

Have you by chance found a way to get Gmail to check this more often?

Thanks again!!
    11-20-09 10:41 AM
    First off thanks for the write up on how to do this, it's been very helpful! My only issue is that Gmail defaults to checking my POP3 account only once an hour not every 15-20 minutes like some others claim. You can see this info in the settings menu under Accounts and Import.

Have you by chance found a way to get Gmail to check this more often?

Thanks again!!
    The only way to make it faster is if you get a ton of email. If Gmail checks your account and gets and email it will recheck it again fairly soon (not sure what the exact time is) but if it doesn't find and email it will not check again for 30 min. You said an hour?
    11-20-09 11:12 AM
    The only way to make it faster is if you get a ton of email. If Gmail checks your account and gets and email it will recheck it again fairly soon (not sure what the exact time is) but if it doesn't find and email it will not check again for 30 min. You said an hour?
    Yeah unfortunately this method isn't working so hot for me. After getting one email this morning Google rechecked the account 54 minutes later, in that time I had received two more emails. It's now been 30 minutes since those two and Google still hasn't checked the account....
    11-20-09 12:04 PM
    This is both techncially wrong and practically useless.

Technically if you want "push", then you should "auto forward" your non-gmail emails to your gmail account. You don't want to poll your non-gmail emails. Unfortunately not all email services support forward.

If you have a non-domain email account, you might as well just move everything over to Gmail permanently, especially if you are using Android. I really dislike those utility email account, like Charter Cable, Cox, SBC. If you want to move or change service, you will have to get new a email account anyway.

If you have your own domain-email account, you can port it over to Google Apps Standard Edition for free.
    Last edited by leskchan; 11-20-09 at 01:46 PM.
    11-20-09 12:33 PM
    This is both techncially wrong and practically useless.

Technicaly if you want "push", then you should "auto forward" your non-gmail emails to your gmail account. You don't want to poll your non-gmail emails. Unfortunately not all email services support forward.

If you have a non-domain email account, you might as well just move everything over to Gmail permanently, esepcially if you are using Android. I really dislike those utility email account, like Charter Cable, Cox, SBC. If you want to move or change service, you will have to get new a email account anyway.

If you have your own domain-email account, you can port it over to Google Apps Standard edition for free.

You couldn't be more correct. I've set up my domain email to auto forward to a matching Gmail account and adjusted the Gmail settings to reply with the my domain. Works awesome! Now looking into just switching to Google standard....
    11-20-09 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD