Gprs is, as I remember, short for General Packet Radio Service, or, often called 2G for mobile data transmission. So, mobile data... internet...
    Not radio waves in amateur radio spectrums.

What you want is completely independant of cellular networks.
    Yep. That's what I'd like. UH Atom XL actually does DMR... taking that a giant leap further to stuff HAM into a 9900 is what I'd REALLY want... lol.
    11-20-21 09:16 AM
    ...taking that a giant leap further to stuff HAM into a 9900 is what I'd REALLY want... lol.
    That'd be cool, but pretty much impossible unless tethered, wouldn't it, given the length of the required antenna and the power/size for the transmitter?
    11-20-21 03:07 PM
    Lol... been playing with similar since well b4. Here's some more on the concept...

https://spectrum.ieee.org/ham-radio-text-hacking
    I guess I thought you were only referring to HF.

Here's some other stuff I found maybe related to what I can only guess those other guys were talking about for their COVID project in the link you provided.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1605707

Maybe those COVID guys just needed to go out and by a few boxes from RockwellCollins and then connect them to their VHF radios, or just outright buy some SNR capable radios from RockwellCollins, who from what I can tell were the ones that bought out the IPUnwired company as soon as it looked like there could be some money in it for business with Navies.

I am guessing this didn't take off as well as it was expected and may have just been replaced by things like cellular, or there'd be UHF/VHF ISPs all over the place right now wouldn't there? I guess the RF licensing thing is probably also a complexity, and the limited bandwidth over HF/VHF/UHF means it would truly be limited to quite low connectivity.

Sounds fun for a hobby/project anyway. If I had my HAM license, I'd be up for it for with you (but not for into a handheld).
    11-20-21 03:25 PM
    With their Jelly, Atom and Titan product lines, Unihertz was already proving to be more diverse in form factors than any other manufacturer I can think of.

Throwing a brand new idea like that now seems...unnecessary.

The only way I could see this form factor being useful is if the watch part is detachable and can be clipped on to a wristband that the user is always wearing with very low effort. Then when power runs out on the watch, clip it off the band and back on the phone which charges it.

I guess it's a matter of time until Samsung comes up with that lol.
    11-20-21 08:57 PM
    I guess I thought you were only referring to HF.

Here's some other stuff I found maybe related to what I can only guess those other guys were talking about for their COVID project in the link you provided.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1605707

Maybe those COVID guys just needed to go out and by a few boxes from RockwellCollins and then connect them to their VHF radios, or just outright buy some SNR capable radios from RockwellCollins, who from what I can tell were the ones that bought out the IPUnwired company as soon as it looked like there could be some money in it for business with Navies.

I am guessing this didn't take off as well as it was expected and may have just been replaced by things like cellular, or there'd be UHF/VHF ISPs all over the place right now wouldn't there? I guess the RF licensing thing is probably also a complexity, and the limited bandwidth over HF/VHF/UHF means it would truly be limited to quite low connectivity.

Sounds fun for a hobby/project anyway. If I had my HAM license, I'd be up for it for with you (but not for into a handheld).
    Lol... ya don't even need to learn Morse anymore, I hear. One approach to "tethering" might be Bluetooth? Idk.

Just growing weary of paying carriers $k's per year for the "privilege" of being treated like a "command economy customer". Lol. Also, weary of struggling with fringe signal locales that seem to be getting "fringer". Lol. Save TMo's b71, which no PKB device supports, AFAIK. Directly, anyway.

This b71 linked Pepwave router performs admirably out in the sticks, tho. Even for Pocket's vzw voice over wifi. Oddly enough, imo. Yet, the vast VAST majority of MY daily communications is TYPED. On handset. To a pretty select few (< 1k) regular contacts. Some contacts date back to HAM days.

Addition to weary is leary... Leary of just how many eggs humanity et al seems so willing to place into so few baskets. HAM, historically, frequently manages to prove preliminary "evidence of life" after some disaster kicks local civilization into stone age. Lol.

Overlapping cell with a redundant RF capability seems a worthy effort, imo. Especially if that redundant RF capability accommodates text com... does Atom XL text over DMR?
    11-21-21 05:27 AM
    Lol... ya don't even need to learn Morse anymore, I hear. One approach to "tethering" might be Bluetooth? Idk.

Just growing weary of paying carriers $k's per year for the "privilege" of being treated like a "command economy customer". Lol. Also, weary of struggling with fringe signal locales that seem to be getting "fringer". Lol. Save TMo's b71, which no PKB device supports, AFAIK. Directly, anyway.

This b71 linked Pepwave router performs admirably out in the sticks, tho. Even for Pocket's vzw voice over wifi. Oddly enough, imo. Yet, the vast VAST majority of MY daily communications is TYPED. On handset. To a pretty select few (< 1k) regular contacts. Some contacts date back to HAM days.

Addition to weary is leary... Leary of just how many eggs humanity et al seems so willing to place into so few baskets. HAM, historically, frequently manages to prove preliminary "evidence of life" after some disaster kicks local civilization into stone age. Lol.

Overlapping cell with a redundant RF capability seems a worthy effort, imo. Especially if that redundant RF capability accommodates text com... does Atom XL text over DMR?
    If you are talking about having an HF/VHF/UHF connection to the world (from say an ISP perspective), and your local network connected to that, from which then connections can be served to your different handheld devices, then I'd think you could stick to wifi for the "tethering" aspects not Bluetooth. If you want, you might even be able setup your own "cell" and make use of the "cellular" capabilities built into the handhelds. However, I don't think the average Joe has any ability to much of their own "cells" given the RF licensing and regulations involved.

I agree that there are lots of alternatives that should be explored beyond the current "privilege" model. However, most people probably don't have the time, money or expertise to invest in exploring it, and I think most alternatives would be a far bit off from the "bandwidth" that is possible via the existing "privilege" approaches.
    11-21-21 09:22 AM
    Yep, my earliest mobile communications use case evolved around "ham et al" technologies. Little about the cell system itself really significantly benefited that use case OTHER than the cell handset hardware. Ultimately evolving into Bold 9900. Absent that fabulous hardware, I'm somewhat struggling to justify complicating life with carriers. Lol.

This motorhome is already equipped with HAM. Fax, data, etc are "old hat". Adapting a Bold handset as a typing, email, etc appliance to that equipment is what my "smart guys", and myself, are up to. Just wondered if Atom XL might already merge some functionality ? Ancient old wandering minds wonder... lol.
    11-21-21 10:40 PM
    UNIHERTZ phones never mentioned here, Tank, Tank Mini (newest thing), and Jelly Star. There is something special about each of them. I wanted to post a pic but don't see that I can anymore.
    03-31-24 11:47 AM
    By the way the constant flashy ads here are hard to take. I have to hide the top moving things with my hand and try to delete the bottom moving things to see the instructions for attachments, which takes me straight to the ad instead.
    03-31-24 11:49 AM
    I had a pic for size comparisons.
    03-31-24 11:51 AM
    UNIHERTZ phones never mentioned here, Tank, Tank Mini (newest thing), and Jelly Star. There is something special about each of them. I wanted to post a pic but don't see that I can anymore.
    Nobody really cares about the junk phones without a PKB since it's only real BlackBerry similarity
    03-31-24 01:06 PM
    Nobody really cares about the junk phones without a PKB since it's only real BlackBerry similarity
    I find UNIHERTZ phones to not be junk, except I didn't care for the Key2 clone. They run smooth, are 100% functional, and sell at a nice price, and work on some USA networks if you want a simcard phone. Tank has a forever battery, if you want to go overnight for a day or 3 with a single device and no charger. Tank Mini is an amazing small but just right size phone which I see nothing similar to anywhere, with an amazing battery too. Jelly Star is great for minimalist days but fully functional if you want to function on a small screen, streaming audio or music or downloaded content for a long walk wearing only small pockets, some of us want this, some of us don't need it. I have put sim cards in all but the Jelly Star. By the way my regular hotspot app works on the Tank Mini, much to my surprise, while the others required my other way to hotspot, mentioned elsewhere. Your saying "nobody cares" may or may not be true, but speak for yourself. I know we are not all here to only discuss certain brands, and while I am still amazed at the BlackBerry keep-alive fight, it can no longer be the only thing to come here to read or discuss. The little Tank Mini has become my current favorite grab n go phone except for my need to have a keyboard phone for simple communications. I wanted to mention it here and knew someone would come shoot me down in five minutes. Sorry I can't figure out how to post my pic.
    03-31-24 01:50 PM
    Unihertz announcing 1st new phone, POST Pocket, this week.-unihertz3.jpg

Unihertz announcing 1st new phone, POST Pocket, this week.-unihertz-smaller.jpg
    Tank, Tank Mini, Titan Pocket, then Pocket, Tank Mini, Jelly Star.
    03-31-24 03:50 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UNIHERTZ3.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	454182

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UNIHERTZ SMALLER.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	454183
    Tank, Tank Mini, Titan Pocket, then Pocket, Tank Mini, Jelly Star.
    LMAO - they're junk when compared with a Pixel a series or Galaxy A series from a price/spec/OS level/updates/security perspectives.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-31-24 04:14 PM
    LMAO - they're junk when compared with a Pixel a series or Galaxy A series from a price/spec/OS level/updates/security perspectives.
    But not boring.
    03-31-24 08:27 PM
    By the way the constant flashy ads here are hard to take. I have to hide the top moving things with my hand and try to delete the bottom moving things to see the instructions for attachments, which takes me straight to the ad instead.
    Something has to pay the bills. If they ever resort to blocking ad blockers like many sites do....
    04-01-24 10:15 AM
    I find UNIHERTZ phones to not be junk, except I didn't care for the Key2 clone. They run smooth, are 100% functional, and sell at a nice price, and work on some USA networks if you want a simcard phone. Tank has a forever battery, if you want to go overnight for a day or 3 with a single device and no charger. Tank Mini is an amazing small but just right size phone which I see nothing similar to anywhere, with an amazing battery too. Jelly Star is great for minimalist days but fully functional if you want to function on a small screen, streaming audio or music or downloaded content for a long walk wearing only small pockets, some of us want this, some of us don't need it. I have put sim cards in all but the Jelly Star. By the way my regular hotspot app works on the Tank Mini, much to my surprise, while the others required my other way to hotspot, mentioned elsewhere. Your saying "nobody cares" may or may not be true, but speak for yourself. I know we are not all here to only discuss certain brands, and while I am still amazed at the BlackBerry keep-alive fight, it can no longer be the only thing to come here to read or discuss. The little Tank Mini has become my current favorite grab n go phone except for my need to have a keyboard phone for simple communications. I wanted to mention it here and knew someone would come shoot me down in five minutes. Sorry I can't figure out how to post my pic.
    They are gimmick phones sold by some Chinese company....

Without the PKB options, this just isn't the place to talk about those. You can post your picks and reviews, but I wouldn't expect much of a discussion to take place.

Now if the Red and Blue Warning Lights could be utilized for notifications....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-01-24 10:30 AM
67 123