I am finding that the virtual keyboard isn't that great to type with in landscape mode. I find that when I hold the phone and type in landscape, my finger somehow is activating the search. My finger isn't even touching the search button I also notice that it sometimes goes into the numeric keyboard while typing "this is a test" and my finger isn't even close to hitting the numeric button. Another thing is sometimes the keyboard just disappears on me all together. And lastly I do not type really fast but it seems like it has a hard time keeping up with what I type and it misses a lot of characters. Anyone else with any of these issues or is it just me?
    11-08-09 01:39 AM
    I am finding that the virtual keyboard isn't that great to type with in landscape mode. I find that when I hold the phone and type in landscape, my finger somehow is activating the search. My finger isn't even touching the search button I also notice that it sometimes goes into the numeric keyboard while typing "this is a test" and my finger isn't even close to hitting the numeric button. Another thing is sometimes the keyboard just disappears on me all together. And lastly I do not type really fast but it seems like it has a hard time keeping up with what I type and it misses a lot of characters. Anyone else with any of these issues or is it just me?
    Wow! No I'm not having those problems, but I will say that my typing actually improved when I turned the haptic feedback on. I guess just feeling something when I type is somehow reassuring.
    11-08-09 01:44 AM
    I feel you on the missing characters part. I think I type so fast that it doesn't register. That, or I'm typing so fast that I have 2 simultaneous touches going on the keyboard (still having my key on previous stroke while hitting the current stroke) and it isn't registering. If I consciously slow it down, it works like a charm though. Just kinda wish it could keep up slightly faster.
    11-08-09 01:45 AM
    One of the main reasons I didn't upgrade to the Droid today. Went in with my Tour and left with my Tour. Once someone releases an Android based phone that types better than the Tour I'll switch. HTC Dragon?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 01:53 AM
    I switched over from an S2 and that's the biggest thing I miss so far is the S2's touchscreen technology.

So I tried slowing my typing down just a bit and I can hit the phrases perfectly. I guess I was typing too fast and the phone isn't able to keep up
    Last edited by jskd; 11-08-09 at 02:11 AM.
    11-08-09 02:09 AM
    One of the reason I kept my tour. What's funny was that I can type quicker and more accurately on the Droid slide out KB then the virtue KB. With that said the Tours keyboard is just too nice to pass up unless someone makes something simliar with a touchscreen interface. I can only dream: )

11-08-09 03:33 AM
    Not seeing it. I can type extremely fast on the virtual keypad and I mean extremely fast. Need to make sure you setting are correct. Haptic on will slow things down a bit. I can easily type as fast as I could on the Iphone when I had it or when using my daughters.
    11-08-09 03:57 AM
    Typing is great for me; light years beyond my storm.
    11-08-09 09:40 AM
    Nope. I can type like a fiend on this phone. On my storm I felt like a ****
    11-08-09 10:07 AM
    Yeah typing on the droid is great in landscape mode and is very accurate in portrait mode by far a more enjoyable device than storm after two days I have gotten used to not having to push the screen down like storm. I am very happy with Droid so far
    Typing is great for me; light years beyond my storm.
    11-08-09 10:08 AM
    Well I don't know because mines skips a lot of characters and like I said the keyboard sometimes will just close on me when typing, very irritating.
    11-08-09 12:34 PM
    As with all keyboards, it takes practice and experience. I'm finding it much easier and accurate to use the virtual keyboards now than at the time of purchase.
    11-08-09 12:37 PM
    Well I can live with the getting used to it part put the part that irritates me is when the keyboard just closes for no reason while I type I can't figure out why it does that and also I don't know why it switches to numeric keyboard when my finger isn't even close to touching the numeric keyboard key I love the phone but that's the two things that is killing me.
    11-08-09 12:50 PM
    Okay I just made a video showing what is going on. I am uploading right now and will post it soon.
    11-08-09 01:16 PM
    Ok here's the link... watch till the end and sorry for the horrible typing but I'm still adjusting to it :P Also the video is kinda grainy because the video is still being processed and should be better once it's done processing.
    Last edited by jskd; 11-08-09 at 01:35 PM.
    11-08-09 01:32 PM
    Dam I wish you were having the same problem I am having. Does yours happen not to even register clicks when you are typing? In landscape mode sometimes I will type and it will recognize the keys but will not show up on screen. also when in portrait mode I will start to type and it will come up with the search screen. This is not what I expected at all....
    11-08-09 01:55 PM
    typing on the droid virtual keyboard definitely takes some getting adjusted to. i also downloaded the 'better keyboard' plugin which makes it a bit easier.

another thing that also helped is not looking at the letters you've typed, but actually looking at the predictive text box (and then pressing the space key when it looks right). most of the time it's correctly predicting what you're trying to type while the screen might show a bunch of mumbo jumbo. lol

oh yeah, i almost never use the physical keyboard. almost to the point of forgetting one is even on there. once more apps become available that are optimized for the droid including the d-pad i might start using it more.
    11-08-09 02:33 PM
    I feel you on the missing characters part. I think I type so fast that it doesn't register. That, or I'm typing so fast that I have 2 simultaneous touches going on the keyboard (still having my key on previous stroke while hitting the current stroke) and it isn't registering. If I consciously slow it down, it works like a charm though. Just kinda wish it could keep up slightly faster.
    in the app store you can get different keyboards. They look the same but allow multitouch. Very simple to install. it may help you type better.
    11-08-09 02:42 PM
    btw, I havent gotten the droid yet, and got to play with it for like 5 minutes at best buy. 1 thing I coldnt figure out is show to go to landscape mode on the main screen without opening the physical keyboard. Also in the browser it was telling me to open the physical keyboard.
    11-08-09 02:44 PM
    in the app store you can get different keyboards. They look the same but allow multitouch. Very simple to install. it may help you type better.
    What are some of the better keyboard apps out there? I'm getting mine on Tuesday and want to be ahead of the curve. If I don't like the one on there it's nice to know what the better alternatives are.
    11-08-09 03:45 PM
    There is an app called Better Keyboard that has QWERTY, SureType and T9. It's also skinnable.
    11-08-09 03:56 PM
    There is an app called Better Keyboard that has QWERTY, SureType and T9. It's also skinnable.
    Thanks. I'll check it out.
    11-08-09 04:09 PM
    The keyboard on my Tour is its biggest selling point for me! I can type quickly, efficiently, and with very very little error.
    11-08-09 04:17 PM
    Just checked out a droid at the verizon store. It was not bad. The physical keyboard was nowhere near as bad as ppl made it out to be. Landscape on screen keyboard was nice. The onscreen portrait one blew. Again I only spent 20 minutes with it. But that was the only keyboard that seemed overly sensitive. selecting a letter it decided it wanted more than one letter. But that was the only one to do it. Other than that the short time I had it was nice.

11-08-09 05:47 PM
    Interesting. Typing on the Droid puts my Storm to shame. The onscreen keyboards I can fly on. Better than my storm and better than my iPod Touch in my opinion. I also love the physical keyboard even though so many others hate it.
    11-08-09 06:22 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD