Considering switching a Blackberry Curve to the Droid Incredible. I had to questions first:

Contacts- Currently, I have a about 200 phone numbers in my Blackberry phonebook. These are all mostly phone numbers (no email addresses). On the other hand, for email, I use the native Gmail app instead of the stock Blackberry email client. Anyway, my Gmail contact list has about 1000 contacts (email addresses) which includes email addresses of professors, colleagues, and other random people that Gmail automatically added to my contact list. It�s good to have these just in case. Now, what happens when I get my Droid Incredible? When I sync it to my Google account, will it bring over all those useless (professors, etc.) contacts and put them into my phonebook/address book? I don�t want to scroll through thousands of useless entries to find someone I�m looking for. Essentially, is it possible to keep my phone number address book separate from all my email address contacts?

) Reliability of GChat- I usually use BBM and the native GChat app on Blackberry to keep in contact with friends. How reliable is ghcat though compared to BBM? For example, if someone sends me a message and I am out of service (in the NYC subway for example), will I eventually receive the chat when I get service back? BBM works this way, but does Gchat. Have most of you found Gchat to be reliable and do messages always go through? Does Gchat log you out after inactivity? How was the switch from BBM to Gchat?

THANKS!
    06-23-10 10:17 AM
    I can answer the first one for you.

Contacts- Yes. Once you sign in with your Google Account then everything will sync (contacts, emails, calendar).

There is good news though. They may sync all of the email addresses that you have in your Address Book, but you can hide them easily.

Just select Contacts>Push "Menu">Display Groups>Contacts with Phone Numbers>OK.

This will only show people that have phone numbers in your contact list. If phone numbers are still the big issue where each contact in your GMail address book has a phone number in the information, then do this:

Contacts>Push "Menu">Display Groups>My Contacts>OK.

Hope that helps!
    06-23-10 11:16 AM
    I love gchat.

With BBM, sometimes I'd have that little red square next to a message, instead of the sending icon then checkbox icon. Even if a friend and I were both in service areas. Like my message just got stuck in thin air for 40 minutes. I hated that crap. gchat never does this, and if a message is sent from an out of service area it will be sent as soon as you return to a service area.

It never happened with gchat.
    Last edited by l.a.rossmann; 06-23-10 at 04:34 PM.
    06-23-10 11:21 AM
    I can answer the first one for you.

Contacts- Yes. Once you sign in with your Google Account then everything will sync (contacts, emails, calendar).

There is good news though. They may sync all of the email addresses that you have in your Address Book, but you can hide them easily.

Just select Contacts>Push "Menu">Display Groups>Contacts with Phone Numbers>OK.

This will only show people that have phone numbers in your contact list. If phone numbers are still the big issue where each contact in your GMail address book has a phone number in the information, then do this:

Contacts>Push "Menu">Display Groups>My Contacts>OK.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! That definitely helps a lot. What about the opposite? I have a TON of phone number son my current blackberry without email addresses (restaurants, land lines, etc.) How do I go about moving these over to my Android? Also is it possible to put these into my Google contact list (on gmail) even though they don't have email addresses?
    06-23-10 11:34 AM
    Thanks! That definitely helps a lot. What about the opposite? I have a TON of phone number son my current blackberry without email addresses (restaurants, land lines, etc.) How do I go about moving these over to my Android? Also is it possible to put these into my Google contact list (on gmail) even though they don't have email addresses?
    it is pretty easy to add your contacts to gmail. before you get your android, sync your bb to your gmail account using DM. go thru your contacts on gmail on a COMPUTER to make sure you have every contact set the way you want it with duplicates cleaned up and names spelled the way you want etc. then once you get your android, all you will have to do is put in ur gmail account info. I did all but clean up contacts on gmail. it is a lot easier on computer with a full size screen and keyboard than on phone.
    06-23-10 12:07 PM
    you could also just download the google sync app from m.google.com on your BB and sync OTA. This is what I did, everything went flawlessly.
    06-23-10 12:38 PM
    Thanks everyone for the help.

Any responses to my GCHat question? Reliable? If I send a message when a person is out of service, will they receive it when they gain service again?
    06-23-10 12:58 PM
    I'm talking to the wall
    06-23-10 04:34 PM
    Thanks everyone for the help.

Any responses to my GCHat question? Reliable? If I send a message when a person is out of service, will they receive it when they gain service again?

idk if its a settings issue or what but if/when i disconnect from my signal i recieve an email usually labled "chat with (Name)" and i can respond from there or just log back into gmail. so more than likely if this is for all android devices, they WILL get your msg 1 way or the other.
    06-24-10 12:30 AM
    Gtalk messages sent when recipient is offline is delivered when they sign on again. There is even a notice for this inside Gtalk when you try to start a conversation/chat with somebody offline. Hope that helps
    06-24-10 01:26 AM
    Hi;

I understand the methods of transferring all contacts from BB to Droid.

I have different contact groups on BB (eg. Office/Stores/Family, etc.).

I have my BB set to show all contacts.

Is there a way on the Droid to set up these type of groups so that as they change, I can delete a group and install an updated group in its place? Without overwriting all contacts, etc.

Thank you.
    06-24-10 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD