Has anyone else struggled with the keyboard settings? No matter what keyboard I install, the auto capitalisation does kit turn on, so I have to capitalise after punctuation.

And to make things worse, the Alt key sticks, meaning two key entries are affected by one press of the Alt key. It is infuriating. No matter whta keyboard settings I change, it doesn't fix.

It seems like something is overriding it, as I had auto capitalisation turned on on the kika keyboard. Installed BB keyboard, that didn't work either.

The device is nearly good. This stuff let's it down!
    02-21-21 09:03 PM
    Has anyone else struggled with the keyboard settings? No matter what keyboard I install, the auto capitalisation does kit turn on, so I have to capitalise after punctuation.

And to make things worse, the Alt key sticks, meaning two key entries are affected by one press of the Alt key. It is infuriating. No matter whta keyboard settings I change, it doesn't fix.

It seems like something is overriding it, as I had auto capitalisation turned on on the kika keyboard. Installed BB keyboard, that didn't work either.

This is where the lack of scale and scope makes a difference. There is only so much an OEM can do with off the shelf components and limited development capabilities. I'm not poking fun of Unihertz or even Onward Mobility as I post this comment. I've joked about the BlackBerry sticker on a Titan but I'm really commenting more about the challenges faced by TCL/BBMo from the BlackBerry Limited designed KEYone to BlackBerry Mobile designed Key2 that many complain about lack of perfection.
    02-21-21 10:15 PM
    For sure. Big challenges. Though given this is the whole point of the phone - the keyboard - I am surprised issues like this are so overlooked.
    02-21-21 10:18 PM
    For sure. Big challenges. Though given this is the whole point of the phone - the keyboard - I am surprised issues like this are so overlooked.
    The issues aren't overlooked. Fixing more complicated issues aren't part of the original budget. If there's ever a Titan 2, sales of a newer device, optimized for the latest OS at introduction will probably fix some of the current issues. You didn't purchase an OEM continued support device. It relies on component and industry support only.
    02-22-21 07:07 AM
    I've joked about the BlackBerry sticker on a Titan but I'm really commenting more about the challenges faced by TCL/BBMo from the BlackBerry Limited designed KEYone to BlackBerry Mobile designed Key2 that many complain about lack of perfection
    What I infer from your remark is that the Keyone was better designed than the Key2...good to know!
    02-22-21 11:49 AM
    What I infer from your remark is that the Keyone was better designed than the Key2...good to know!
    I wouldn’t say better designed just that BlackBerry Limited had access to all their own proprietary IP which it controls and protects fiercely. What the arrangements were on the Key2 from a design and production standpoint, I don’t know. Too many variables and I only have a broken Key2 that I couldn’t get repaired for comparison. From a component and finish standpoint, the device seems refined design tweaks over the KEYone but I can’t speak beyond that.
    02-22-21 12:27 PM
    I just find it kind of odd that across multiple device updates, it is completely impossible to just make the Titan keyboard work as you might expect a keyboard to work, given that it's the entire point of the device. Surely that's not asking too much
    02-22-21 03:58 PM
    I just find it kind of odd that across multiple device updates, it is completely impossible to just make the Titan keyboard work as you might expect a keyboard to work, given that it's the entire point of the device. Surely that's not asking too much
    It's a Kickstarter device sold out of a warehouse in China and designed and built on a shoestring budget. Are you truly that surprised?
    02-22-21 04:14 PM
    It's a Kickstarter device sold out of a warehouse in China and designed and built on a shoestring budget. Are you truly that surprised?
    I just bought it out of curiosity really. The camera is pretty rubbish and there is plenty about this that I totally forgive, precisely because it's a Kickstart device sold out of a warehouse in China and designed and built on a shoestring budget.

So yeah, I don't expect the world. But at a minimum, I'd expect the keyboard to work a little better.

Anyway, I managed to get the BlackBerry keyboard working with the red button for the symbols. Does the job.

But damn, it makes you really appreciate how good BB keyboards are.
    02-22-21 04:22 PM
    I just bought it out of curiosity really. The camera is pretty rubbish and there is plenty about this that I totally forgive, precisely because it's a Kickstart device sold out of a warehouse in China and designed and built on a shoestring budget.

So yeah, I don't expect the world. But at a minimum, I'd expect the keyboard to work a little better.

Anyway, I managed to get the BlackBerry keyboard working with the red button for the symbols. Does the job.

It's still funny how the Titan got one OS letter upgrade when the KEY2/LE never did. Though obviously those got more security updates.
    jackbuck93 likes this.
    02-22-21 04:24 PM
    Tens of $millions spent on R&D over the years makes a big difference.
    02-22-21 04:27 PM
    Tens of $millions spent on R&D over the years makes a big difference.
    yes
    02-22-21 04:28 PM
    I wonder how much BB ltd would take to "lease" some PKB patents to Unihertz.
    It did function properly at introduction. Who’s paying to fix things when updates are rolled out? Updates break some features and large OEMs have teams of employees to fix those problems. Do you think a company that sells a few thousand devices can afford teams of employees?

When the device was sold to you it was optimized at introduction specs. One reason that many companies don’t push out updates constantly or ever, is to avoid breaking things. Unihertz pushed out Android 10 recently. If you contact them, what’s their answer? Do they have one? Warranty item?
    It's still funny how the Titan got one OS letter upgrade when the KEY2/LE never did. Though obviously those got more security updates.
    It's not surprising since the Titan pretty much uses off the shelf Android - along with a sprinkle of MediaTek apps and a dash of spyware.
    02-22-21 04:29 PM
    It did function properly at introduction. Who’s paying to fix things when updates are rolled out? Updates break some features and large OEMs have teams of employees to fix those problems. Do you think a company that sells a few thousand devices can afford teams of employees?

When the device was sold to you it was optimized at introduction specs. One reason that many companies don’t push out updates constantly or ever, is to avoid breaking things. Unihertz pushed out Android 10 recently. If you contact them, what’s their answer? Do they have one? Warranty item?
    Why do I always get the feeling that people like being hostile on here? I'm not expecting the world. I just posted, 'Hey, there's a weird software bug' and wondered if anyone had the same issue/knew what to do.

I'm not expecting the world from a cheap Chinese device. Just the basic keyboard functionality.

To be honest, I'm not REALLY even expecting anything. It cost virtually nothing compared to most phones. I just posted a thread on here to see if someone else had the same issue.

Not so keen on getting a lecture about my expectations.
    02-22-21 04:31 PM
    We always speculate that BBMo/TCL didn’t pay for update. Could it be, they didn’t want to have testing, fixing and testing expenses to update to Android 9 or perhaps that’s what BB demanded payment for.
    02-22-21 04:32 PM
    This is where the lack of scale and scope makes a difference. There is only so much an OEM can do with off the shelf components and limited development capabilities. I'm not poking fun of Unihertz or even Onward Mobility as I post this comment. I've joked about the BlackBerry sticker on a Titan but I'm really commenting more about the challenges faced by TCL/BBMo from the BlackBerry Limited designed KEYone to BlackBerry Mobile designed Key2 that many complain about lack of perfection.
    Strange as I have none of these issues
    02-23-21 05:39 PM
    I also find it strange that my keyboard is rock solid. The phone is not for the faint of heart, it can be used as a killing device when needed against zombies................
    the_boon likes this.
    02-23-21 05:41 PM
    I also find it strange that my keyboard is rock solid. The phone is not for the faint of heart, it can be used as a killing device when needed against zombies................
    02-23-21 05:41 PM

A little late to the party here, but it doesn't seem as if anyone has actually explored your issue.

You've found the Kika-Keyboard settings I presume?

I thought the alt key was "sticking" too. It took me a long time to realize that I was holding alt down while punching the key that I wanted "alted," and that will result in the second key press also being modified. What I have to do is press and release alt before pressing the key I want alted.

It's so natural for me to hold alt depressed through the other keystroke that I have been thinking surely that's how my Blackberrys must've worked. I've not dug one out to check.

The alt key thing that still gets me sometimes is accidentally double-clicking it, which is an ALTernative way of locking it on (the other being long press of course).

As for auto-capitalisation, it took me a while to figure out how to turn it off. Never been a fan. Since Unihertz listened to their users and adopted the "hold to capitalise" convention, and then listened again and shortened the wait time, I've been quite happy with that.

Although improved, I still find that sometimes I will get an automatic space after a period which breaks my email address, though it's much better than it used to be. If I type joe. [email protected], for example, that space after joe. wasn't entered by me.

Another very odd quirk I've noticed - because I'm an obsessive editor - is sometimes when I move the cursor back to some spot where I want to enter or modify text, the changes take place at the old cursor location, despite that the visible cursor is clearly not there.

And it can stick quite stubbornly through a few repeated attempts to move the actual editing point to the visual location of the cursor. Holding long enough to get the magnified view will correct it. That's very frustrating, and rare enough that I haven't ever been able to figure out if there is a certain sequence that precipitates it.
    03-13-21 08:03 AM