it pretty much will come down to which os you prefer. I've had a BB and the OG Droid and the Droid INC. Out of those three, the Droid Inc was the best phone for me although battery life was atrocious. HTC does do a good job with getting the latest android updates but it's kind of disappointing that these new 4G phones won't be coming with the latest Android update.
    02-09-11 03:28 PM
    I own/love apple. Now that verizon has the Iphone, next purchase is going to rock! The smooth OS vs the community run widget rocker. There is no clear winner, just you if you get what makes you happy, the Iphone makes people very happy!
    02-10-11 09:35 AM
    Does the Android have notifications similar to the BlackBerry? I HATE pop up notifications.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-11 12:35 PM
    Does the Android have notifications similar to the BlackBerry? I HATE pop up notifications.

From what I've seen so far yes. I bought my wife a Motorola Droid and it does the dings for e-mails and texts and it has the LED notification flash.
    02-10-11 12:38 PM
    Okay, this post really doesn't make sense to me. Apple comes out with a new iPhone every year and the iPhone 5 is suspected to come out in June. So in essence the iPhone 4 is going to get old even sooner than the Thunderbolt.
    We can assume all day that the iPhone 5 will come to VZW in June just like it will for AT&T, but we do not know that yet. It is basically unquestionable about a GSM release.

Apple may do it, but they may not. They may not release another one on VZW this year because of the typical single release per carrier. There is a lot of speculation that Apple may not release the iPhone 5 for VZW and just wait till the iPhone 6 when LTE will be available (more widespread) on AT&T/VZW.

I can see Apple releasing the iPhone 5 for VZW, but I can also see them waiting as well. Either way, the iPhone is going to sell on VZW, it doesn't matter which version.

Android devices are outdated within 3-4 months of release. The iPhone since it has one model per year isn't outdated until its successor comes out. It doesn't matter if the iPhone is single core and there are hexa-core Android devices. The iPhone is the iPhone and it can only be outdated by its newer version.
    02-10-11 01:16 PM

They are basically the same as BB, minus the sound profiles, and they do have LED notifications (but not all Android phones have LED, you'll have to check into that further - my DX does). You can have everything set to one tone, or you can go into each application and individually change them to a specific tone.

Also, re: popup notifications. For SMS you can get Chomp or Handcent and they have popups for texts. I personally use Chomp and have it set to display a popup notification if my screen is off and locked, but if I'm using the phone for anything at all, the popup notification doesn't happen. I agree that it is annoying to get some kind of popup while you're in the middle of something else, I would hate that. It is nice when the phone is locked and I can quickly respond to a text without having to unlock the phone.

Hope this info helps.
    02-10-11 01:36 PM
    Does the iPhone do NO notifications? Surely it will vibrate, ding, or something you can customize for emails, etc...?
    02-10-11 04:06 PM
    What about creating mobile hotspots - something I think I want. Does iPhone do that or just Droid's?
    02-11-11 10:35 AM
    Does the iPhone do NO notifications? Surely it will vibrate, ding, or something you can customize for emails, etc...?
    Yes..it will vibrate..but if you miss the notification..I believe the only way to know is to open the application and check. As far as email..i'm pretty sure the iphone doesnt even really "pull" emails. I know on my wifes i4..she always has to open her email up at which point it will search for emails. I've checked her settings and it says it's set to pulls..but she never gets any emails unless she opens the app.

What about creating mobile hotspots - something I think I want. Does iPhone do that or just Droid's?
    Mobile hotspot? No. You can tether the iphone to a laptop using the cable..but that's the extent of it.
    02-11-11 12:02 PM
    Wrong the iPhone can make mobile hotspots. The vzw one can right now and I dont know if the others can yet but they will be able too within the next update.

Gmail push is just as fast on my iPhone as it was on my DX and past BBs.
    02-11-11 12:34 PM
    iPhone 4 is a great device. It has one of the best battery and overall build quality of any smartphone, and its also very intuitive and easy to use. The reason I like the android os better is for customization and Roms. I just don't like how apple locks down their software, and no expandable memory is dumb too.

Last edited by JRZLocal; 02-15-11 at 10:04 PM.
    02-12-11 10:59 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD