Lots of points to consider -- among other things, I'll be travelling to Canada monthly, and need to find a way to keep the cost manageable and not become one of the tales you read about $17,000 roaming charges...

Anyway - back on topic: the Pro is really nice -- more than I expected. Will be trying it out again...
    Verizon has unlocked every World Phone I have ever had with them. Once that is done you can shop around for the best GSM service you want price wise.
    11-15-10 09:44 PM
    Verizon has unlocked every World Phone I have ever had with them. Once that is done you can shop around for the best GSM service you want price wise.
    True. The Pro, and upcoming Droid 2 Global are both dual mode CDMA / GSM. I was also reading about the HTC Merge -- latest rumor I read is that it might be released on VzW on Nov 18, and rumor has it that it will also be a World Phone. It's essentially the VzW version of the HTC Desire Z -- similar to T-Mobile's G2, but with a slide keyboard instead of a fold out.

Re: roaming: would be nice to keep the same phone number while in Canada -- SO many phone calls. Using a local SIM would cut my roaming charges. Was thinking of handing out a Google Voice number instead of mobile -- when travelling, I could get a local SIM and forward the GV number to that temporarily, and when back in the states, forward it to my normal CDMA number (assuming I switch to VzW). Seems to be the cheapest way to get incoming calls. Outgoing a bit more complicated: have to figure out a reasonable way to do that while in Canada -- local SIM fine for Canada calls -- but most of my calls will be back to the US while I'm up there...

Still some homework to do, but the options are looking better...
    11-15-10 09:57 PM
    Loki, some of the features on the BB that are not on the Moto Pro are, Sleep Mode where I can have the phone just ring and no other sounds except the Alarm. I can send emails as text, text as email, BBM, share contacts, answer the phone with a single push of a button, resend and forward text. Those are just a few that make the BB valuable to me.
    11-15-10 10:47 PM
    Loki, some of the features on the BB that are not on the Moto Pro are, Sleep Mode where I can have the phone just ring and no other sounds except the Alarm. I can send emails as text, text as email, BBM, share contacts, answer the phone with a single push of a button, resend and forward text. Those are just a few that make the BB valuable to me.
    I went from a BB tour to a Droid and I haven't even considered going back to the BB (at least until they get a better phone on the market), BUT when I first got my Droid I realize how simple and effective the sound profiles are on the BB. I think that this should be fixed in future software updates, but for now I use a free app 'Quick Profiles' which allows you to basically set up sound profiles just like the BB.

As far as the rest of the stuff you listed, I think the Droid handles all those activities or at least equivalent activities pretty well. ( I never really used BBM but i do find myself using g-chat)
    11-16-10 04:15 AM
    All of those "features" that you think are BB Exclusives are available on just about every platform. BBM, is the only one that we don't have. And to Honest. KIK and LiveProfile, just a darn good job of replacing BBM. and i think EVERY phone known to man can answer the phone by pressing 1 (one) button, either physical or on screen, a button is a button.
    11-16-10 08:21 AM
    Word is that BBM will be cross-platform in the future. I've heard that a few times here. I also heard that they might integrate other messengers to work with it. We'll see...
    11-16-10 09:25 AM
    Like I've said before, everthing that I wished my BlackBerry would do, Android does it. Flat out...
    yeap I agree , and to add to it better then bb
    11-16-10 01:33 PM
    I see, I was just curious, because Im sure I dont use by BB to its fullest potential. I dont use the sleep profile, but it is nice going to a place on the home screen and setting the sound profile I want without having to go through a ton of menus.

Word is that BBM will be cross-platform in the future. I've heard that a few times here. I also heard that they might integrate other messengers to work with it. We'll see...
    That would be cool
    11-16-10 01:47 PM
    I happened to be in a VZ store today and saw a Moto Pro. It is a nice phone but not a BB.
    The phone did not feel as robust or have the quality build feel as a BB. I think that it will sell well
    For non BB adicts but it misses the mark for Crack Heads.IMHO

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Okay let's do some build "quality" checks:

BB: Screen Ripples and Plastic
    Droid: No

BB: Trackpad/Ball issues
    Droid:No

BB: Plastic Housing

BB:Paint Comes off keyboards (9650)

Moto Builds droids like General Dynamics builds Tanks: SOLID
    11-18-10 06:49 AM
    Okay let's do some build "quality" checks:

BB: Screen Ripples and Plastic
    Droid: No

BB: Trackpad/Ball issues

BB: Plastic Housing

BB:Paint Comes off keyboards (9650)

Moto Builds droids like General Dynamics builds Tanks: SOLID
    Nicely put.......the amount of denial and blindness still amazes me.
    11-18-10 06:55 AM
    The only thing that turns me off about the droid pro is the resolution, I was hoping to upgrade my storm to it since the screen is 3.1" and my screen is 3.25". Moto really dropped the ball by making the resolution so crappy. Might just wait for lte devices in january.

11-18-10 07:29 AM
    Well of course the Droid Pro is not a blackberry, its a damn android phone. I loved my blackberry for years and then finally realized my blackberry couldn't do half the things my droidx does.

Personally I would never want the droid pro for the soul fact that half of my screen is gone due to the on screen keyboard. I'd take my droid x any day of the week. droidx has a great on screen keyboard, better camera and a hugeee screen.
    11-18-10 07:36 AM
    I really don't need a HUGE screen, I wonder why the continuum costs just as much as the fascinate, seems stoopid.

11-19-10 06:49 AM
    I used BB's for nearly a decade, until a year ago when I got the original Motorola Droid. When the X came out, I got it. My wife was still using a BB, up until the 18th when I surprised her with a Droid Pro (she much prefers a physical keyboard, and really liked the one on her BB). This Droid Pro rocks! I really like it. She days she can't tell a difference between this keyboard and her BB Tour except the numbers are in a different place.

She's asking me why I didn't convince her to get a Droid a year ago when I got mine!

11-20-10 09:06 AM
    I've grown to like the numbers being on the top. makes it easier to type, for me at least.
    11-20-10 10:17 AM
    If this phone said RIM on the back people on this site would be creaming themselves. I know because if the bold had just 1/4 inch more screen I would still have it.
    11-20-10 10:43 AM
    I know it's off topic, but have you experienced the saving aspects of your focus, falconeight?
    11-20-10 10:47 AM
    I know it's off topic, but have you experienced the saving aspects of your focus, falconeight?
    I returned it and went back to my nexus one. Its a nice OS but it needs a lot of development. I don't even know where to start or where to end.
    11-20-10 10:49 AM
    So, you think MS rushed this one?
    11-20-10 10:55 AM
    So, you think MS rushed this one?
    I think they did. I also think that with the right development it can be the best OS on a phone. Its potential is greater than what is out right now. And microsoft has the money to make it happen.
    11-20-10 11:11 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD