Alright, first and foremost, this is NOT a bash Blackberry thread, so please don't turn it into that, okay?

Here's the deal. I'm a Blackberry kind of guy through and through. I'm currently running the Bold 9650. I've also had the Tour, Curve, and started with a Pearl. Love the phones, love Verizon's service. Outside of wanting a better browser and a better app store, no real complaints.

Then I played with a Droid X for an hour yesterday.

I was blown away. The MAIN thing that from going to Android is the bulk of them are touchscreens. I don't like em. Never have. I prefer a physical keyboard. This has been the single biggest factor in why I've stuck with the Berry. But typing on the X in landscape was just insane. Fast, easy, and accurate. I also thought the OS was awesome and easy to use. Loads of great apps, and on and on.

So now I'm at a crossroads of sorts. I won't be upgrading until March of next year. BUT I can get my hands on either a Droid or a Droid Incredible for a good price. I'd like thoughts or suggestions on what to go with. I like the idea of having the physical keyboard on the Droid, but the Incredible is almost as nasty as the X. What do some of you think are the pro's and con's when comparing Blackberry and Android.

I'd just like some advice. Many thanks.
    07-16-10 07:34 PM
    Had a Storm for about 2 years. I used it in landscape 95% of the time. If you were blown away typing with the X you will love doing everything on a touch screen. A physical keyboard is a waste of space. There is no need for it.
    I can't use a physical keyboard now. Feels like driving a Model-T. And using a phone upright is a pain in my hands.
    Landscape is the only way to use a phone
    You might try the Storm out. The best of both worlds(for a 'Blackberry person'). Blackberry and touchscreen
    Hopefully the Storm 3 will move it forward of where it is.... in comparison with Android. Of course who knows if and when it will come out.
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 07-16-10 at 07:52 PM.
    07-16-10 07:39 PM
    Well, I thought I needed a physical keyboard as well, coming form a Pearl and a Curve. Had a Tour for 2.5 weeks but hated the keyboard on that. Returned it and got the Droid.

After getting used to the oncsreen keyboard on the Droid, I never use my slide out physical keyboard anymore. OK, I lied, I use it to press the X to boot into recovery mode to change roms.
    07-16-10 07:42 PM
    You might try the Storm out.

Sadly, I've heard nothing but horror stories for the most part in regards to the Storm.
    07-16-10 08:38 PM
    i would get the droid because u dont have a upgrade but if u have money then droid X, Droid 2 or incredible. PS: im selling my mint droid on ebay in a couple of days
    07-16-10 09:04 PM
    I've got a line on both a Droid and an Incredible for essentially the same price. Both less than $200, and it's not an upgrade. Just buying them flatout from someone. I'm trying to decide which I want to go with, IF I even switch.
    07-16-10 09:12 PM
    IF you are in low signal areas, then go with the Droid. The Incredible doesn't fare as well, and might drop calls.
    07-16-10 09:17 PM
    I wasn't around for the "I love BlackBerry keyboard days", but my days of physical buttons to type are over. I transitioned from a Samsung Glyde to a BB Storm to the HTC Eris and soon to be DX on monday when it get's hear. If the OS blew you away already then I don't have to sell you on anything really. Just rest assured that there is always an alternative app for the ones you used on your BB. Only thing your losing is a physical keyboard which you won't need once you get over the hump and BBM, but just tell your peeps to get GTalk. Then your all set. Brighter days are ahead of you my friend!
    07-16-10 09:34 PM
    IF you are in low signal areas, then go with the Droid. The Incredible doesn't fare as well, and might drop calls.
    Do you know how the Droid X does in low signal areas? I am seriously considering the switch, I have the Tour now and really am not all that happy with it. I'm looking at the X because of the bigger screen, I simply cannot see the Tour screen well.

Claudia
    07-17-10 10:19 AM
    i had to bold 9650 on vzw and i liked it but the screen was wayyy small and browser was soo slow.i have had the droid x for under 24 HRS and i am in love. it feels like a brick (i have an ebay case on it)...i believe the droid inc and x are both amazing fones. i promise u wont be disapointed! MY X was cheaper than my bb. im a happy camper
    07-17-10 10:45 AM
    Okay, if you guys don't care, humor my ignorance here.

The only Android phone that had decent time with was the X. I've goofed around with the Droid, but never had ahold of a powered up Incredible. If I decide to go with the Incredible, and I looking at the same general feel as the X? Operating wise? I didn't know with it being a HTC phone and the X being Motorola there would be any difference. Or is it pretty much the same thing? Because if it works like the X, I'm sold.

Thanks again for all the advice.
    07-17-10 01:48 PM
    I had been using a hard keyboard since the Treo days and made the conversion easily, I hate change too.
    If you take the plunge be sure to try Swype, it's great.
    I'm typing this with Swype on my rooted Hero that is running Froyo 2.2.
    So root it too
    07-17-10 02:09 PM
    Made the switch from BlackBerry to my first HTC phone ever the Aria. Been using it for a little bit and I love android already. Love the way HTC Touch phones are like in general. But it WILL be going back to AT&T since I got it about a week ago, for the Samsung Captivate. The only way Im gonna switch is if the samsungs touch screen is as easy to use as HTCs. My Sister had a SamSung phone on sprint, and the touch portion of it was horrible.
    07-17-10 04:22 PM
    visit droid forums and read some over there OP, they won't bash on you, and you can expand your knowledge there too. I am not going to bother you with my opinions, yours is the one that matters
    07-17-10 05:23 PM
    Forget what anyone is saying and play with the phones you are considering. Figure out what is important to get out of your phone, are you more prone to emails or do you want a web browser and apps to play with? Only you can decide what makes you happy. Android centrals forums will give you plenty of info.
    07-19-10 11:50 AM
    You will never look back...........
    07-19-10 12:10 PM
    Can somebody point out some actual, specific advantages?

In my case, I'd like to know advantages of the Droid X over a Storm 2.

In listing the advantages, please bear in mind, I'm using the Storm 2 on BES with Exchange/Outlook and I would be using the Droid X with ActiveSync to Exchange/Outlook. I don't use GMail at all.

And, I use Opera Mini for browsing on the Storm 2. It's free, fast, and mostly works a lot better than the stock browser.

So, what are the advantages of the Droid X over the S2, when being used that way?
    07-19-10 12:33 PM
    I just got off the phone from ordering my Droid X, looks like I will have a perfectly good Tour for sale soon. It was one of the good ones from the start but the screen just is too small for me to see easily.
    07-19-10 05:55 PM
    The Storm is a nice phone but compared to the Droid X IMHO; the Storm doesn't measure up. I still have my BB Tour so I can enjoy the best of both worlds.

I do not think you will regret the Droid purchase...
    07-19-10 06:17 PM
    Former Berry user here as well. I moved from the Tour to the Evo and couldn't be happier with the switch. I get email just as quickly and it's rock solid.

Also suggest you give Swype a try. It really is slick.

The only thing I miss is BBM, and frankly that's mostly because the pilots I work with are in mourning at the loss of free texts with me when they're in an international spot.
    07-19-10 06:18 PM
    Can somebody point out some actual, specific advantages?

In my case, I'd like to know advantages of the Droid X over a Storm 2.

In listing the advantages, please bear in mind, I'm using the Storm 2 on BES with Exchange/Outlook and I would be using the Droid X with ActiveSync to Exchange/Outlook. I don't use GMail at all.

And, I use Opera Mini for browsing on the Storm 2. It's free, fast, and mostly works a lot better than the stock browser.

So, what are the advantages of the Droid X over the S2, when being used that way?
    I was a BB user for quite some time and jumped over to the Android side

1. email- I get my emails just as fast along with any attachments, I use a POP3 email account and it is very fast

2. Skyfire is very quick browser and it can be configured as a desktop or an android device and is very snappy (google it they have done test)

3. I cannot comment on the Droid X but I have heard nothing but good things about it I was using a Nexus 1 (TMO) and then purchased the Samsung Vibrant and I have REALLY come to like the android OS as well as the swype keyboard, the apps are amazing.

Overall my phone experience as a business user has not been compromised in anyway and the ability to customize these phones are endless.....they even have an app that you can download and if you know other android phone owners (even if they are not on your network) you can "pusj to talk" like Nextel and it is FREE!!!! that is our version of BBM lol
    07-19-10 06:40 PM
    I did the opposite. Went from iphone to BB 9700 and to tell you the truth, IMO, the iphone virtual keyboard was as good if not better than typing on a physical keyboard. So to me, virtual keyboard takes just a couple of days and then ur set, won't be looking back. I did the switch for other reasons.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-10 08:09 PM
    Agreed. Everyone looks for something different in a phone. It's important to get the features that you need/want. I just moved to the Droid X after 5 years with BB and I could not be happier! There are a few small things to get used to, but I now realize that I made excuses and compromises for a phone/company for years. I found a phone that works at my job when I need it, and plays hard on my downtime.
    07-19-10 08:15 PM
    You will never look back...........
    Never say never. What works for YOU doesn't work for everyone. I wouldn't be so bold as to claim that anyone else would love the same phone I use; nor would I presume that they would love or hate a Droid. The only way to know is to try a phone for up to 30 days and see how it suits one.
    07-19-10 08:40 PM
    Never say never. What works for YOU doesn't work for everyone. I wouldn't be so bold as to claim that anyone else would love the same phone I use; nor would I presume that they would love or hate a Droid. The only way to know is to try a phone for up to 30 days and see how it suits one.
    That is true, I used to say I never could use a full touch screen but that has changed with the Samsung Captivate. I totally love the virtual kb.. I still make error here and there but I am getting used to it and loving it even more. I agree about using it and if you dont like it, return it and get what you are more comfortable with.

Cheers,
    Charlie
    07-20-10 03:39 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD