I'm still a baby in the smartphone world. My first (and still current) smartphone was the Blackberry Storm 9530 back in Dec. 2008. So all my knowledge and experiences of a smartphone are leveraged off that device. But now I feel the time has come for a switch and I think I might snag myself a Droid Bionic.

Anyways, any former or current Blackberry user will tell you that device performance deteriorates throughout the day and ultimately leads to a battery pull in order to spring the device back to life. "Battery pulls" and "memory leaks" are part of normal everyday life for a Blackberry user. So much part of "normal" Blackberry use that I don't even see battery pulls and memory leaks as an underlying issue with Blackberry OS anymore lol.

So I started wondering if performance deterioration and battery pulls are "normal" in the Android universe, or occur at all. Does Android performance deteriorate throughout the day resulting in any type of device rest needing to be performed? Does Android chug along all day everyday just fine?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 01-16-11 at 01:44 AM.
    01-16-11 01:39 AM
    No battery pulls and deteriorating performance on Android.

You can basically not worry at all about the free memory on a high end Android smartphone, the OS takes care of managing memory quite nicely, even when multitasking.

The only time a battery pull is done is when there is absolutely no other choice (screen is frozen and unresponsive, hard keys do not work), and that is extremely rare and indicates that something isn't right with the OS, sd card, or an app is misbehaving.

Installing/uninstalling an app does not require a reboot of the device like BB.

Using the Droid Bionic will be a refreshing experience, I believe for you as the hardware alone will be exponentially better than the Storm's.
    01-16-11 05:52 AM
    there are no battery pulls required for android. and to be fair your bb (the original storm) was a POS, none of the newer blackberries require daily battery pulls.
    01-16-11 07:46 AM
    there are no battery pulls required for android. and to be fair your bb (the original storm) was a POS, none of the newer blackberries require daily battery pulls.
    Really? I had to do weekly battery pulls on my 9700 before retirement.
    01-16-11 07:50 AM
    Maybe not daily..but still anytime an app is installed..or something starts acting wonkey. A quick read in the Torch section still tells you that battery pulls are a recommended practice.

With my Android..holding the power button will allow you to reboot the phone if needed..and with a 25-30s boot up time (vs 2min40s with the Torch..yes..i timed it) it really is a painless procedure.
    01-16-11 09:09 AM
    I haven't had to do battery pulls at all on my 9780. OS6 seems to have fixed the memory leak issues that made them necessary on my 8900 and 8320. On those devices, I did a battery pull (reset, actually) once or twice a week. No big deal. On my 9780, the MeterBerry app shows memory fluctuations, and shows memory being reclaimed by the OS, after apps close.

It's true that some BB apps require rebooting after installing or uninstalling. I've never found this to be a big deal, but I guess others do. But battery life is much more an issue on Android devices, due to the fact that the OS is simply doing more, a lot of the time.
    01-16-11 10:07 AM
    I haven't had to do battery pulls at all on my 9780. OS6 seems to have fixed the memory leak issues that made them necessary
    Agreed. I never had to pull the battery on the Torch due to memory loss. OS6 definately seemed to rectify that issue

It's true that some BB apps require rebooting after installing or uninstalling. I've never found this to be a big deal, but I guess others do. But battery life is much more an issue on Android devices, due to the fact that the OS is simply doing more, a lot of the time.
    Agreed. Battery life can be a struggle (especially on HTC devices..which are known for bad battery) but it wasn't a whole lot better with my Torch tbh. Sure..i could get 14+ hours with medium usage..but i'd still be at 20% by the end of the night and have to charge anyways. I might get about 10-12 hrs with the same usage now..which isn't too bad imo.
    01-16-11 10:37 AM
    Good thread. Thanks for the info!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-11 11:40 AM
    The biggest difference you will notice, is no hour glass or spinning clock.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-11 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD