Hi. I have a 9700 running OS 6 and I've recently started thinking about getting an Android phone to keep alongside the Blackberry.

For me, the BB is the better/preferred phone, though the Android is the better gadget. The BB would probably still be the phone used for email (I highly prefer physical keyboards), and the preferred phone for calls (partly due to the network) but I would like an Android phone to have a bit of fun with. Something fast and good, and not too expensive (I live outside the U.S. so I'm buying unlocked). Any recommendations?

I would get the best HTC/Samsung etc. out there but replacing two phones (and a Bold at that) should they fall into misfortune can get really expensive when buying them unlocked .
    03-25-11 11:54 PM
    honestly I'd wait for Samsung to release the Galaxy S version of the iPod touch. its sounds like you want to use the BB as the phone and and android to play with.

and to be honest we are on the verge of getting an *** load of phones that make the current line up look like blackberries.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-11 02:03 PM
    Hi. I have a 9700 running OS 6 and I've recently started thinking about getting an Android phone to keep alongside the Blackberry.

For me, the BB is the better/preferred phone, though the Android is the better gadget. The BB would probably still be the phone used for email (I highly prefer physical keyboards), and the preferred phone for calls (partly due to the network) but I would like an Android phone to have a bit of fun with. Something fast and good, and not too expensive (I live outside the U.S. so I'm buying unlocked). Any recommendations?

I would get the best HTC/Samsung etc. out there but replacing two phones (and a Bold at that) should they fall into misfortune can get really expensive when buying them unlocked .
    I don't get your logic OP.

You say the BB would be the better phone and the preferred phone for calls (partly due to the network). Wouldn't they be on the same network? As such, there is no reason why the Android couldn't be the better device for using as a phone.

Your post is full of preconceived notions. That the Android is a "gadget" or toy, and the BB is a better "phone" or, serious business device.
    03-26-11 03:20 PM

I honestly suggest that you do a lot more research on Android OS & devices. Your post just screams that you have not done your homework at all. Blackberrys are becoming more toy like in function and mostly build quality.
    03-26-11 03:30 PM
    I use gmail but my experience with email is better on the Android.

Call quality is good also. Speaker is a tad quieter but not bad.

I do the same things on my Android as I did on my BlackBerry. But now I cam also use the internet, and much faster.

Screen on this phone kills my Tours.

I'm not a gamer. I use my phone in place of a.PC.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 03-26-11 at 03:36 PM.
    03-26-11 03:32 PM
    Think, ponder, debate.

We can offer suggests to you over and over. But it's going to come down to what you like and what you want to use it for. Android may work for you and it may not. Same with BlackBerry. Users are thirsty and want more, and then some.

I do suggest you go the the store and spend a good amount of time with each device and see which one will work best for you. Then in a few days go back and do it all over again and see if your mind changes.

Note down wants and needs. Having your own thoughts on paper will help you decide. What works for other may not work for you.

Both are have + and - in the smart phone world. Just gotta find satisfaction in your own decision.
    03-26-11 03:39 PM
    Syb0rg, maybe I'll wait. Quite frankly, the current line-up of android phones make my head spin.

I don't get your logic OP.

You say the BB would be the better phone and the preferred phone for calls (partly due to the network). Wouldn't they be on the same network? As such, there is no reason why the Android couldn't be the better device for using as a phone.

Your post is full of preconceived notions. That the Android is a "gadget" or toy, and the BB is a better "phone" or, serious business device.
    Sorry if I confused you. I would likely use the Android device on a different network. A 3G CDMA network. The blackberry would remain on the current network that I'm on (2G GSM). I'm with this network for numerous reasons and will be with them for the foreseeable future so I'll need one of the two devices on the 2G network I'm on, likely the Blackberry.

I did, however, find out that they have plans on switching to 3G and are awaiting approval so maybe in the future both will be on the same network. Who knows?

As for the preconceived notions, you would note that in my original post, I started off the sentence saying "For me". I like blackberries, a number of reasons are logical, a few are emotional, but in the end, as best as I can tell from owning a Blackberry and not owning an Android device yet, for me, it appears that a BlackBerry would better serve my needs for a basic phone.
    03-26-11 03:46 PM
    I honestly suggest that you do a lot more research on Android OS & devices. Your post just screams that you have not done your homework at all. Blackberrys are becoming more toy like in function and mostly build quality.
    Given the large amount of Android devices, I was hoping maybe someone could suggest a small number of devices that would likely suit my needs.

I don't know where the toy comment comes in as I never mentioned toys in my original post. And I also mentioned mainly using the Blackberry for calls and email (and BBM), so comments on their functions and features outside of that are irrelevant.
    03-26-11 03:52 PM
    Check out the HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon Wireless.
    03-26-11 03:59 PM
    Check out the HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon Wireless.
    Coincidentally, I was just looking at it (noticed that it's your device ). However, as I'm outside the U.S. it'll cost me more (have to buy unlocked) and we're way far from having 4G so I'm not sure if I want to pay a premium for 4G functionality just to be used on a 3G network.
    03-26-11 04:05 PM
    Check out the droidx or droid 2. I made the switch and I'm loving it!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    03-26-11 05:50 PM
    I'm testing a used Droid Pro against the 9650- it is a nice transitionary Phone from the 9650 I too had- (which now seems "industrial") It is a test unit while I await the release(s) of the Droid 3, Incredible S, the new Samsung and LG Revolution to see which may best suit my needs , typing skills and a 4" Screen rather than the 4.3-
    03-27-11 01:50 PM
    Let me know how you like your Android. I was so close to getting a Droid X or DInc. I'm glad I waited for the Thunderbolt. I LOVE the big screen and the keyboard!
    03-27-11 02:05 PM
    Hi Chrisy=- nice to "meet again"- I like the Droids- FAST - there are still some things I liked about my BB better- I miss the pad so I could place my cursor right where I want it- but I'm getting used to the Droid-

Lots of options -

I'm nit sure the 4.3 size will work for me- big ! and may not fit in the pocket so nicely- and the bulk might make Mae West Smile- but I'll check out the new phones when they come out- I haven;t ruled out a 4.3 completely- but Battery is a major concern and the extra bulk of the extended may not be to my liking either-

I'm glad you love yours- to each their own - I used to be able to spell that in French ! Take care !

F
    03-27-11 04:17 PM
    honestly I'd wait for Samsung to release the Galaxy S version of the iPod touch. its sounds like you want to use the BB as the phone and and android to play with.

and to be honest we are on the verge of getting an *** load of phones that make the current line up look like blackberries.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Only sound piece of advice on here!
    03-27-11 06:40 PM
    Keep ur bb and pick up an ipod touch. I found that to be the best combo. Plus I don't need to pay another line for an android device like you would have to do if pick that set up.
    03-27-11 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD