I know none have a large LED like BB, but I'd like SOMETHING to indicate a message (sms/email/missed call), other than a sound or vibration, or having to wake the screen.
    04-28-11 01:28 PM
    The majority of high end Android devices have LED notification. The SGS does not. The LED light may not be as big as the one on a BB, but it is easily viewable. I don't find the BB ones to be any better. You should easily be able to see it because LED lights stand out pretty easily. I never had a problem with my Droid or Droid Xs LED light.
    04-28-11 01:43 PM
    do you know if the sgsII has one, off-hand?
    04-28-11 01:45 PM
    Several have a led notification, the better question is, is it any good.

The general answer is no.
    04-28-11 01:46 PM
    Several have a led notification, the better question is, is it any good.

The general answer is no.
    too hard to see? goes OFF too soon?
    04-28-11 01:48 PM
    As far as I know, the SGS 2 doesn't. There are apps like NoLED and BLN (Backlight Notification) which turn the touch buttons into notifications I believe.
    04-28-11 01:49 PM
    I don't understand how an LED light is hard to see. Honestly.

If you can see pixels on a screen, you should EASILY be able to see a glowing LED light.
    04-28-11 01:49 PM
    As far as I know, the SGS 2 doesn't. There are apps like NoLED and BLN (Backlight Notification) which turn the touch buttons into notifications I believe.
    oh, ok. that would be fine with me. I just want a visual indicator of some sort. I wouldn't be happy having to wake the screen up to see if I got a reply while messaging, especially.

found this: NoLED - Android app on AppBrain
    04-28-11 01:50 PM
    oh, ok. that would be fine with me. I just want a visual indicator of some sort. I wouldn't be happy having to wake the screen up to see if I got a reply while messaging, especially.

found this: NoLED - Android app on AppBrain
    Yea you'll get the visual notifications using that app.

I honestly thought I would miss my LED light, but I don't. It actually makes me look at my device less lol. It is very nice to have though.
    1812dave likes this.
    04-28-11 01:54 PM
    too hard to see? goes OFF too soon?
    The TB led borders on invisible unless it's completely pitch black in the room or I stare directly at the LED trying to see if it's on.

It's hidden behind a mesh....

That's the G2 LED in a dark room with a bright color... That is a pretty weak LED...

The customization is very minimal and is app dependent. Some native applications cannot be changed as they simply use the defaults.
    04-28-11 02:23 PM
    This is one of the things my wife complains about her LG Ally. She has an LED but it only blinks a couple times when a message comes in. It doesn't constantly blink till the message is read like my Storm does.

She has to constantly keep waking up her phone to check for new messages.
    04-28-11 02:43 PM
    This is one of the things my wife complains about her LG Ally. She has an LED but it only blinks a couple times when a message comes in. It doesn't constantly blink till the message is read like my Storm does.

She has to constantly keep waking up her phone to check for new messages.
    Has she downloaded an app like Handcent SMS? It makes your LED blink constantly till you view the message.

No every manufacturer treats LED notifications the same, but if you download certain apps, the experience will be the same.
    valorian and 1812dave like this.
    04-28-11 02:51 PM
    Has she downloaded an app like Handcent SMS? It makes your LED blink constantly till you view the message.

No every manufacturer treats LED notifications the same, but if you download certain apps, the experience will be the same.
    No she hasn't. I'll tell her about this app.

So how an Android phone uses the LED is not part of the Android OS but defined by the phone manufacturer?
    04-28-11 02:53 PM
    It's defined at an OS settings level (to a limited extent) and at a per-app level. However there is some relation to the hardware + how it is perceived as a notification, since not all devices have the same hardware for the LED.

Imo GoSMS is the best 3rd party sms app, just fyi.
    04-28-11 02:55 PM
    I've always liked Handcent and everyone I know with Android devices uses it as well. I also use to beta test Handcent for the DX before every new release. The majority of people on forums recommend Handcent too. Go SMS looks just as good though.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-28-11 at 03:02 PM.
    04-28-11 03:00 PM
    No she hasn't. I'll tell her about this app.

So how an Android phone uses the LED is not part of the Android OS but defined by the phone manufacturer?
    Using Handcent, you can set your SMS messages to blink however you like. You can chose colors and intervals.
    04-28-11 03:01 PM
    Some Androids have multiple color LEDs. My Evo only has green and orange. My dad's Optimus S can turn multiple colors and I assigned each color to a different task using Handcent SMS.

My G2 had the best LED of all of the devices I've ever had. LED and flashing trackpad ring. That thing was so bright it would wake me up out of a light sleep.
    1812dave likes this.
    04-28-11 07:56 PM
    FWIW, I'm half blind and I can see the LED in my Thunderbolt in a well lit room or outside. HOWEVER, I have to be looking at it straight on. If I view at any angle it gets lost in the mesh. And, I do wish it would blink longer. It's nowhere near as good as on a BB, of course, but it's passable for me. And to be honest, I'm usually looking at my phone every couple minutes anyway.
    1812dave likes this.
    04-28-11 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD