I keep reading about everyone waiting in line for the original Storm and then "extremely disliking" it. Were there fewer video reviews? Was everyone just excited for a BB touchscreen and leaped on faith?

I've been advised to wait a couple months to see how the Droid lives up to its hype and there's no way I can....I'm working with an OLD LG (en)V and its on its last legs....

I could maybe last a week or two. But will I really learn anything new or just torture myself....and maybe miss out due to stock issues?

Thanks for any advice!
    11-05-09 06:58 PM
    I keep reading about everyone waiting in line for the original Storm and then "extremely disliking" it. Were there fewer video reviews? Was everyone just excited for a BB touchscreen and leaped on faith?

I've been advised to wait a couple months to see how the Droid lives up to its hype and there's no way I can....I'm working with an OLD LG (en)V and its on its last legs....

I could maybe last a week or two. But will I really learn anything new or just torture myself....and maybe miss out due to stock issues?

Thanks for any advice!
    I'm going to demo it on Saturday, after the Friday madness has passed. If I'm totally blown away, and it does everything I need a smartphone to do, then I'll consider getting it. But I agree with those who have advised you to wait a few weeks. There will be hundreds of user reviews/raves/rants/etc on here starting in...11 hours! I'll take away a lot from those, especially ones coming from certain users (like Civic.) I think it's smart to wait and see how it pans out on the network, in users' hands, before making the jump. Just my opinion though..
    11-05-09 07:06 PM
    Several benefits:

See if the camera "issue" is hardware, software, or both.

See if there are other hardware problems on the "early production" devices.

Vzw might confirm a new device you might be interested in like the HTC Passion. Or confirm a release date on some other device like the Curve 2, Essex, etc.

Advantages:

You get a cool phone now. Hope for some software updates (it is said 2.1 is in the works) that fixes the issues in 2.0

As you mentioned, no worries about no stock left, after everyone buys out this hot phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 07:10 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I want a phone that has a great web browser that's also on Verizon's network but right now there isn't a great one out there. The droid is our best hope so far but I don't want to find out the hard way that it wasn't as good as everyone had hoped.

Another thing to consider is that if there is a chance you won't complete your contract with Verizon, stating 11/15 they will double the EFT fee to $350 minus $10 a month. That alone make me want to get one by the 14th at the latest!
    11-05-09 07:16 PM
    Thanks...so....

Several benefits:

See if the camera "issue" is hardware, software, or both.
    I'm willing to live with this...my phone "camera" is 1.3MP and over 3 years old. The pics are not worth anything to view greater than 1 cm. in either direction. So it will be night and day even before it gets fixed.

See if there are other hardware problems on the "early production" devices.
    Does that mean I'd have to wait months for more to be produced...? If I did have a problem wouldn't Verizon take care of me? (Beyond the hassle that it involves, if the keyboard fell off they'd give me a new one, right?)

Vzw might confirm a new device you might be interested in like the HTC Passion. Or confirm a release date on some other device like the Curve 2, Essex, etc.

I can't deal with the classic style of the BBs. I've got wrist problems and really can't type on them unless they are flat on a table. And I have ZERO skills with trackpads and the like....its laughable. I actually was waiting for the Storm2 and shifted my focus to the Droid. And I've still got 30 days, right?

I've been waiting and watching as my phone is dying a slow death for almost a month now, I can't take anymore, LOL. Won't there always be something better coming around the corner? At least I'll be able to make a call without doing three tower searches first....:D

Advantages:

You get a cool phone now. Hope for some software updates (it is said 2.1 is in the works) that fixes the issues in 2.0

As you mentioned, no worries about no stock left, after everyone buys out this hot phone.

11-05-09 07:22 PM
    Good point about the increased ETF after 11/15, I forgot about that.

11-05-09 07:22 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I want a phone that has a great web browser that's also on Verizon's network but right now there isn't a great one out there. The droid is our best hope so far but I don't want to find out the hard way that it wasn't as good as everyone had hoped.

Another thing to consider is that if there is a chance you won't complete your contract with Verizon, stating 11/15 they will double the EFT fee to $350 minus $10 a month. That alone make me want to get one by the 14th at the latest!
    Excellent point! I can't imagine not sticking with it, as my husband just hooked himself up with a Tour 3 months ago for/with work. So to break our "family" plan we'd have to bail on both contracts....but hey, you never know what life'll bring.
    11-05-09 07:24 PM
    Snaz, if you are able to resist getting the Droid for a few weeks, then honestly, you have more will power than I.

With VZW's 30 day worry free guarrantee, I wouldn't worry too much about making a big mistake. Just keep the 30 days in mind when evaluating the Droid.

I bought the Tour on release day and returned it after 2.5 weeks because I knew it wasn't worth burning my NE2 and upgrade on, IMO. Don't make the same mistake a lot of Storm owners made when they held on to the phone past the 30 day mark "hoping" things will get fixed with software updates. Though I do believe that Google will be a lot better/faster to address any issues with the Android OS than RIM has shown with their track record.

11-05-09 07:32 PM
    I would say it'd be worth it to keep your old phone, but get the Droid as soon as you want. Yes, if you wait there will be benefits - the price may drop w/in 30 days after you buy it, the early production model flaws will be glaringly obvious, and you will not have to wait around a while for your phone.

However, you will also miss out on the thrill of being "the first". Of waiting with others that share the same passion for the phone. You will also miss out on everyone's experience with the phone, the "ooh's" and "aah's" of the device.

Really, it's your choice. Good luck with either choice
    11-05-09 07:36 PM
    You are being kind.....

Snaz, if you are able to resist getting the Droid for a few weeks, then honestly, you have more will power than I.

Are you perchance alluding to the garbage that I'm using now in comparison? I thought I was doing great by waiting for the Storm2 since I was elligible for the upgrade 8 months ago....I think I've reached my limit....

With VZW's 30 day worry free guarrantee, I wouldn't worry too much about making a big mistake. Just keep the 30 days in mind when evaluating the Droid.

I bought the Tour on release day and returned it after 2.5 weeks because I knew it wasn't worth burning my NE2 and upgrade on, IMO. Don't make the same mistake a lot of Storm owners made when they held on to the phone past the 30 day mark "hoping" things will get fixed with software updates. Though I do believe that Google will be a lot better/faster to address any issues with the Android OS than RIM has shown with their track record.

11-05-09 07:40 PM
    I would say it'd be worth it to keep your old phone, but get the Droid as soon as you want. Yes, if you wait there will be benefits - the price may drop w/in 30 days after you buy it, the early production model flaws will be glaringly obvious, and you will not have to wait around a while for your phone.

However, you will also miss out on the thrill of being "the first". Of waiting with others that share the same passion for the phone. You will also miss out on everyone's experience with the phone, the "ooh's" and "aah's" of the device.

Really, it's your choice. Good luck with either choice
    How long does one wait to not be "early production"? I don't think i'll make a few months....
    11-05-09 07:43 PM
    How long does one wait to not be "early production"? I don't think i'll make a few months....
    Not a clue. The Tour's early trackball issues took I think 1 month? To straighten out.

But, if you DO have issues, you can always get them taken care of at the Verizon store. That's why I'm buying mine there - then they don't have a reason to tell me to go screw off, they're the ones that sold it to me.
    11-05-09 07:44 PM
    Not a clue. The Tour's early trackball issues took I think 1 month? To straighten out.

But, if you DO have issues, you can always get them taken care of at the Verizon store. That's why I'm buying mine there - then they don't have a reason to tell me to go screw off, they're the ones that sold it to me.
    Smaaaht...as its heard in Boston.
    11-05-09 07:53 PM
    Fortunately, I'll be vacationing out of any data range for a while, and I'll be able to return to a gazillion reviews of this when I return. Looking forward to my purchase then.
    11-05-09 08:56 PM
    Yes, you should go get it right now. ...What are you still doing here? Drop your phone and run to walmart and get yourself one. Nothing will go wrong.

11-05-09 09:46 PM
    Yes, you should go get it right now. ...What are you still doing here? Drop your phone and run to walmart and get yourself one. Nothing will go wrong.

Not to start something....but I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Are you bored? Or voting for the "don't wait" option?
    11-05-09 10:08 PM
    Storm was horrible and I have had many different ones, I think this is my 6th one and I have had all the same problems with the click screen where it works for a week then craps out and I need to put paper under the battery.

Now the only issue is the OS which RIM hasn't gotten right yet.

I will be getting it tomorrow. If I have issues then I will bring it back, thats all. No biggie.
    11-05-09 10:26 PM
    Its always better to wait. Especially for such an unproven new device. The keyboard still looks aweful IMHO.

11-06-09 01:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD