Still trying to figure out all the new things about the Droid before it get here tomorrow. Question is, can I install new themes without rooting the phone?
    08-08-10 10:01 AM
    Still trying to figure out all the new things about the Droid before it get here tomorrow. Question is, can I install new themes without rooting the phone?
    I believe there are some market themes available. They will be nowhere near as good as the themes that require root though.
    08-08-10 10:23 AM
    in order to install themes without rooting your phone you'll have to do it through a replacement "launcher". The launcher is the program that allows you to navigate through home screens, controls icons, drawers, etc. ADW launcher offers some themes both free and $.99. And along with launcher pro are two of the best home replacement apps available. DxTop, ahome, panda home, are some others. Of course like mentioned above if you really want to customize things rooting your phone and running a replacement ROM is the way to go. For example, if you want to change the color of the bar on the top of your screen you'll need to be rooted to do so.
    08-10-10 10:22 AM
    Is rooting really that much better??? I too am waiting for my phone to arrive. Performance wise does it make it that much better?
    08-10-10 10:24 AM
    Rooting is that much better. On my Captivate if I didn't root I wouldn't be able to remove all of the bloatwear and make my phone faster.
    08-10-10 10:53 AM
    Is rooting really that much better??? I too am waiting for my phone to arrive. Performance wise does it make it that much better?
    yes, when your phone comes learn how to use it and then shoot me a pm bro so i could teach u the guide of rooting rofl
    08-10-10 10:57 AM
    I can�t speak to the droid x as I have an original moto droid. But I can tell you since rooting and controlling the processor speed I haven�t had any interest in upgrading my device. Performance wise, I can make it as fast as the newer devices if I chose to. Typically I'll leave the processor speed at 600 to 800 mhz and under-clock it to 125mhz when the screen is off. (this extends battery life tremendously) As far as the droid x is concerned since the bootloader is locked, a proper over clocking kernal has yet to be developed, but given some time I'm sure that will change.

I came from a curve then a storm 1 & 2, made some themes for them but the overall experience was really lacking. With the droid rooted I can take parts of themes I like and add them on an "a la carte" type basis and create a unique theme for my phone. It is a very different process however. The good thing is with the various programs available to root users you dont need a lot of programming skills to accomplish this. Programs like the ones below are recommended.

Rom Manager - allows you to back up your current set up in case something goes wrong, and allows you to download replacement ROMs OTA

Root explorer - allows you to go into the system files and make adjustments without having to be proficient in programming

terminal emulator - if you have some proficiency with programming you can do the same thing as root explorer, and several ROMS include "scripts" or 1 word commands to tweak various parts of the ROM to your liking, this program allows you to run them

set cpu - allows you to control the processing speed, an upgraded kernal is needed.

ninja morph and metamorph - allow you to theme various parts of your phone individually rather than needed to install and entire theme.

Rooting is all about controlling every aspect of your device rather than just for performance enhancement. Like I mentioned earlier there is some technical knowhow required but nothing that the average person can�t learn. Droid-life.com and droidfroum.net are two good places to start learning about this.

sorry for the long post
    08-10-10 10:59 AM
    yes, when your phone comes learn how to use it and then shoot me a pm bro so i could teach u the guide of rooting rofl
    I will hit you up brotha for sure....

I can�t speak to the droid x as I have an original moto droid. But I can tell you since rooting and controlling the processor speed I haven�t had any interest in upgrading my device. Performance wise, I can make it as fast as the newer devices if I chose to. Typically I'll leave the processor speed at 600 to 800 mhz and under-clock it to 125mhz when the screen is off. (this extends battery life tremendously) As far as the droid x is concerned since the bootloader is locked, a proper over clocking kernal has yet to be developed, but given some time I'm sure that will change.

I came from a curve then a storm 1 & 2, made some themes for them but the overall experience was really lacking. With the droid rooted I can take parts of themes I like and add them on an "a la carte" type basis and create a unique theme for my phone. It is a very different process however. The good thing is with the various programs available to root users you dont need a lot of programming skills to accomplish this. Programs like the ones below are recommended.

Rom Manager - allows you to back up your current set up in case something goes wrong, and allows you to download replacement ROMs OTA

Root explorer - allows you to go into the system files and make adjustments without having to be proficient in programming

terminal emulator - if you have some proficiency with programming you can do the same thing as root explorer, and several ROMS include "scripts" or 1 word commands to tweak various parts of the ROM to your liking, this program allows you to run them

set cpu - allows you to control the processing speed, an upgraded kernal is needed.

ninja morph and metamorph - allow you to theme various parts of your phone individually rather than needed to install and entire theme.

Rooting is all about controlling every aspect of your device rather than just for performance enhancement. Like I mentioned earlier there is some technical knowhow required but nothing that the average person can�t learn. Droid-life.com and droidfroum.net are two good places to start learning about this.

sorry for the long post
    I will have to definitely look into this after I become more familiar with the phone. Sounds like it is definitely something I will be interested in...
    08-10-10 11:20 AM
    I'll be waiting on the rooting until the phone is out of warranty. Not gonna take any chances with rooting then the phone breaking and VZW telling me that I'm SOL.

I did get launcher pro and like that much better then the original.

Thanks for the tips!!!
    08-10-10 11:44 AM
    I'll be waiting on the rooting until the phone is out of warranty. Not gonna take any chances with rooting then the phone breaking and VZW telling me that I'm SOL.
    From what I've read, you can "unroot" just as easy. Your phone is probably warrantied for a year. That's a long time to wait.
    08-10-10 12:11 PM
    From what I've read, you can "unroot" just as easy. Your phone is probably warrantied for a year. That's a long time to wait.
    Kinda hard to unroot if the phone breaks and I have to take it back to VZW and they catch the root job
    08-10-10 12:16 PM
    Kinda hard to unroot if the phone breaks and I have to take it back to VZW and they catch the root job
    You can flash stock software back onto the device and VZW would have no clue you even did it.
    08-10-10 12:38 PM
    You can flash stock software back onto the device and VZW would have no clue you even did it.
    Not if I break the phone or something and cant get it to turn on or whatever to flash it back. Its just too big of a chance to take with a phone that costs so much. I can wait a year
    08-10-10 12:59 PM
    Not if I break the phone or something and cant get it to turn on or whatever to flash it back. Its just too big of a chance to take with a phone that costs so much. I can wait a year
    I get bored quickly... I will end up rooting the first week I have it, lol..... Want to mess around with it for a bit first though..
    08-10-10 01:02 PM
    What do you mean break? Like physical damage? If you brick the phone from software, you WILL be able to reflash the device. If you are worried about shorting the device, don't overclock. I have not had one bad experience rooting yet. I think you are just being really paranoid, but it's ok, it's your money and your device.
    08-10-10 01:05 PM
    What do you mean break? Like physical damage? If you brick the phone from software, you WILL be able to reflash the device. If you are worried about shorting the device, don't overclock. I have not had one bad experience rooting yet. I think you are just being really paranoid, but it's ok, it's your money and your device.
    Not being paranoid at all, I just don't like taking chances with breaking the rules with something that is under warranty. I'm not gonna screw up my warranty just for a theme
    08-10-10 01:10 PM
    Not being paranoid at all, I just don't like taking chances with breaking the rules with something that is under warranty. I'm not gonna screw up my warranty just for a theme
    That's the thing though, the likelihood of that happening is very small. Your phone will be fine. But it is your decision, be personally, I would do it and I already have. Rooting is "legal" now also which makes it even better.
    08-10-10 01:19 PM
    From what I have read, and I have read a lot of info, short of the phone never turning on again, you will be able to revert back to stock form. One trick is using a program called Odin3. It will work and put your phone back to stock, I had to use it last night when I kept getting constant force close messages. You are being very paranoid of the what if's, this is not a BB where you really can brick the phone and be SOL (I have never used an iPhone so I don't know about the possibility of bricking one).
    08-10-10 04:19 PM
    From what I have read, and I have read a lot of info, short of the phone never turning on again, you will be able to revert back to stock form. One trick is using a program called Odin3. It will work and put your phone back to stock, I had to use it last night when I kept getting constant force close messages. You are being very paranoid of the what if's, this is not a BB where you really can brick the phone and be SOL (I have never used an iPhone so I don't know about the possibility of bricking one).

Guys I'm NOT being paranoid about anything. All I'm doing is following the guidelines for the warranty. I'm not the type of person that likes to cheat the system...

When the warranty is up and I feel there is a need to root the phone then I will. Right now I'm not going to bother just for a theme.
    08-10-10 08:53 PM
    Guys I'm NOT being paranoid about anything. All I'm doing is following the guidelines for the warranty. I'm not the type of person that likes to cheat the system...

When the warranty is up and I feel there is a need to root the phone then I will. Right now I'm not going to bother just for a theme.
    Rooting is not just for a theme, it is for overall performance of the device IMO. Either way the phone is great out of the box, but 10x better rooted .
    08-10-10 09:53 PM
    Rooting is not just for a theme, it is for overall performance of the device
    Yes I know that.
    08-10-10 09:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD