any instructions on how to tether an android? Trying to help a friend.

Thanks
    01-13-11 12:53 PM
    Is he paying? Or is he/she ripping it?
    01-13-11 12:55 PM
    Hmm not sure but I think you want to know whether they want to pay? Want to do what ever is legal, both software and data transmission wise.

They have an unlimited data plan, not sure if that qualifies the android for tethering.
    01-13-11 01:16 PM
    I think a USB tether works for free, but the Hotspot feature is a paid service. Wireless tether for free is a root only (unless you know how to toggle .bat modes) app. It should be a matter of adding the service, then using it.
    01-13-11 01:20 PM
    I've never tried it this way but you can download pdanet from the market and tether that way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 01:30 PM
    thanks for information
    01-13-11 04:52 PM
    I'm sure this has been asked before. But what is tethering. I've only had my Droid for a day so far. My apologies if this has been asked before.

01-16-11 10:03 AM
    I'm sure this has been asked before. But what is tethering. I've only had my Droid for a day so far. My apologies if this has been asked before.

Tethering is the ability to use your device as a modem to access the internet. Basically, you are using the data from the device to provide internet access to another device like a laptop.

On Android devices, you can get wired or wireless access, depending on superuser status. Wireless access is pretty cool, BTW. You can tether multiple devices to the same source.
    01-16-11 10:18 AM
    Is your friends Android rooted or unrooted?

And you might have better luck posting this at Android Central Mobile

01-16-11 11:41 AM
    I currently tether my Tour to my laptop via Bluetooth. Is this not possible with an Android?
    01-16-11 02:23 PM
    I currently tether my Tour to my laptop via Bluetooth. Is this not possible with an Android?
    Yes, you can.
    01-16-11 02:30 PM
    O.k. good. would have been a big minus when I get the Bionic
    01-16-11 02:40 PM
    O.k. good. would have been a big minus when I get the Bionic

To be accurate, Android can do this... the carrier may want to, uh, control it...
    01-16-11 02:57 PM
    Why would they control a local Bluetooth connect? I can see a Wi-Fi hotspot but not a personal Bluetooth connection.
    01-16-11 03:51 PM
    He meant the carriers don't want us to use our device's unlimited data plan to tether without paying an additional monthly tethering fee. VZW charges another $30/month to tether in addition to the $30/month BlackBerry data plan.

Which is why I use the tether app. So I don't have to pay the monthly fee to the carrier.

01-16-11 03:54 PM
    Got it.

10 char
    01-16-11 04:12 PM
    Isn't using the TB App technically against a carrier's rules?
    01-16-11 04:38 PM
    Yes it is.

01-16-11 04:39 PM
    That is why I pay and I am good to go.
    01-16-11 04:41 PM
    That's your choice. If I tethered a lot I'd pay a monthly fee too. But I use it very rarely, and cannot justify the monthly cost.

01-16-11 04:43 PM
    I'ved tried pdaNET and got around 4.5Mbps download speed on TMO 3G network.
    01-17-11 10:15 AM
    Tethering is the ability to use your device as a modem to access the internet. Basically, you are using the data from the device to provide internet access to another device like a laptop.

On Android devices, you can get wired or wireless access, depending on superuser status. Wireless access is pretty cool, BTW. You can tether multiple devices to the same source.
    OK I got it. Thanks a lot.

01-17-11 02:54 PM
    Has anyone successfully tethered an Android tablet to a BB? If so, can you explain how you did it? I've tried PDAnet, but with no success.

Thanks!
    10-17-11 11:10 AM
    I only tether when it's my only option. Most CM7-derived ROMs have it integrated into the wireless settings section. I find it very convenient when I need to do something quickly.
    10-17-11 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD