Hi everyone.
    My situation is that I need to be able to access the Internet on my laptop in my truck while traveling.
    I have a BB 9700 already, so I guess these are my options.....

A) Tether the 9700 to the laptop with something like tetherberry.
    B) Buy a usb modem through VZW or AT&T.
    C) Get something like the Droid X that has mobile hotspot.

Are there any obvious pros and/or cons between these?
    Any major speed differences?
    Thank you!
    09-10-10 07:59 AM
    Buy a Droid X and root it, then you get tethering for free. The speed should be roughly the same. The 9700 only supports 3.2Mbps anyway I think.
    09-10-10 08:03 AM
    The nice thing about mobile HotSpots are you can connect to any wi-fi enable device via your phone to the data. iPods, iPads, PS3s, Laptops, Netbooks... what ever you want it's possible.

And if you use a rooted phone you can download wi-fi tether.apk (Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code) and only allow certain MAC addresses connect to your device. So that i can turn my wi-fi on, walk down the mall and only my devices, or my wifes devices can connect to it.

and in all seriousness. ANY rooted phone can get wi-fi tethering via the link i supplied earlier, i have it on my Magic, and my wife has it on her Cliq.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-10 08:54 AM
    Works great on a Droid X. I get bout 2Mb/sec download speed.
    09-10-10 09:50 AM
    Wow, that's fast. I have the incredible and I don't get speeds that fast.

If the droid x is an option, I say get it and root it.

09-10-10 10:35 AM
    Damn that's a lot faster than what I'm getting. I'm averaging a little over 1mb/sec.

Wow, that's fast. I have the incredible and I don't get speeds that fast.

If the droid x is an option, I say get it and root it.

It has to do with location not your device.
    09-10-10 10:51 AM
    Damn that's a lot faster than what I'm getting. I'm averaging a little over 1mb/sec.

It has to do with location not your device.
    Ah, I see. I'm jealous...

09-10-10 10:55 AM
    i'm getting right around 2.8Mbps - 3.2Mbps down on my Magic and my wife is getting 4.7Mpbs - 5.4Mbps down on her cliq

09-10-10 11:49 AM
    i'm getting right around 2.8Mbps - 3.2Mbps down on my Magic and my wife is getting 4.7Mpbs - 5.4Mbps down on her cliq

Yep, GSM 3G > CDMA 3G. Data wise only. CDMA takes the cake with voice quality though.
    09-10-10 11:53 AM
    see i had Sprint once, for 2 years, the LONGEST two years of my life. Didn't have a smart phone, just a standard flip phone, and i couldn't get signal for anything.... really left a bad taste in my mouth about CDMA phones.

09-10-10 12:03 PM
    see i had Sprint once, for 2 years, the LONGEST two years of my life. Didn't have a smart phone, just a standard flip phone, and i couldn't get signal for anything.... really left a bad taste in my mouth about CDMA phones.

Trust me, that's just Sprint. I had Nextel for years and then switched to Sprint because Nextel was useless for me, and the switch was free. I was with Sprint for about 8 months and had the LG Rumor and 8330 Curve and dropped at least 6 calls a day. It was so bad Sprint waived the ETF on all my lines and even told me to reconsider them once the coverage in my area got better (not to mention all he mistakes they made on the bills every month). VZW is a whole different story. I have not dropped one call and I have had them for almost a year. I had AT&T before VZW and dropped a call once or twice a week, sometimes more.
    09-10-10 12:07 PM
    Trust me, that's just Sprint. I had Nextel for years and then switched to Sprint because Nextel was useless for me, and the switch was free. I was with Sprint for about 8 months and had the LG Rumor and 8330 Curve and dropped at least 6 calls a day. It was so bad Sprint waived the ETF on all my lines and even told me to reconsider them once the coverage in my area got better (not to mention all he mistakes they made on the bills every month). VZW is a whole different story. I have not dropped one call and I have had them for almost a year. I had AT&T before VZW and dropped a call once or twice a week, sometimes more.
    I actually priced Verizon when ever the D1 came out. I really wanted to the phone but i wasn't about to pay the price they wanted for their service. They kept beating on the "#1 3G coverage" drum.. .. .. but when i barely leave my home town i cannot justify spending 35% more money on the same service that i have now.

Plus that was the era of time when ever ad on TV was ATT beating up on VZW and VZW beating up on ATT, and i didn't want my money going to those style ads.

09-10-10 01:44 PM
    I actually priced Verizon when ever the D1 came out. I really wanted to the phone but i wasn't about to pay the price they wanted for their service. They kept beating on the "#1 3G coverage" drum.. .. .. but when i barely leave my home town i cannot justify spending 35% more money on the same service that i have now.

Plus that was the era of time when ever ad on TV was ATT beating up on VZW and VZW beating up on ATT, and i didn't want my money going to those style ads.

I feel ya. If T-Mobile offers good coverage in your area, than I would definitely chose them over Verizon, especially if you stay in your area. Around here, T-Mobile is awful and is usually roaming on AT&T.
    09-10-10 02:30 PM
    I feel ya. If T-Mobile offers good coverage in your area, than I would definitely chose them over Verizon, especially if you stay in your area. Around here, T-Mobile is awful and is usually roaming on AT&T.
    Then i would recommend switching off of them. gotta keep your data coming in strong.

09-10-10 02:35 PM
    Then i would recommend switching off of them. gotta keep your data coming in strong.

Exactly. In my area I am basically forced to use Verizon or AT&T since the cheaper options have barely any service. If they do get better, I would probably switch. LTE is going to be nice though.
    09-10-10 02:42 PM
    Exactly. In my area I am basically forced to use Verizon or AT&T since the cheaper options have barely any service. If they do get better, I would probably switch. LTE is going to be nice though.
    yea yea yea i hear ya.... T-Mo is expanding to 42Mbps download in HSPA+ areas. That is what i'm waiting for... should be done this time next year but i'd like to see a phone that can get 21Mbps first....

now i guess comes to play the Processor war, who can translate that data the fastest..... i know my Magic/tethered is quicker on the webs than the CAT5e cable my desktop is hooked to.

09-10-10 02:57 PM
    yea yea yea i hear ya.... T-Mo is expanding to 42Mbps download in HSPA+ areas. That is what i'm waiting for... should be done this time next year but i'd like to see a phone that can get 21Mbps first....

now i guess comes to play the Processor war, who can translate that data the fastest..... i know my Magic/tethered is quicker on the webs than the CAT5e cable my desktop is hooked to.

Yea T-Mobile is pushing out some nice speeds. They need to stop referring it to 4G though, it's more like 3.75G lol. They do have the same speed as WiMax in some areas, but I don't even think WiMax has been pushed up to actual 4G speeds yet.
    09-10-10 02:59 PM
    Yea T-Mobile is pushing out some nice speeds. They need to stop referring it to 4G though, it's more like 3.75G lol. They do have the same speed as WiMax in some areas, but I don't even think WiMax has been pushed up to actual 4G speeds yet.
    If you should happen to look on MobileSpeedTest.com they list WiMax and HSPA+ both as 4G speeds.... dunno...

09-10-10 03:23 PM
    If you should happen to look on MobileSpeedTest.com they list WiMax and HSPA+ both as 4G speeds.... dunno...

Interesting. HSPA+ is technically not 4G though. Close, but not close enough. The theoretical speeds LTE can get is much higher than what HSPA+ can offer. AT&T even bitched out T-Mobile for it.

AT&T cries foul over T-Mobile's 'HSPA+ is 4G' talk -- Engadget
    09-10-10 03:25 PM
    Interesting. HSPA+ is technically not 4G though. Close, but not close enough. The theoretical speeds LTE can get is much higher than what HSPA+ can offer. AT&T even bitched out T-Mobile for it.

AT&T cries foul over T-Mobile's 'HSPA+ is 4G' talk -- Engadget
    I'm in full reason to believe that ATT will do anything to make everyone else look little to make themselves appear to be bigger.

They did it with Verzion, they did it with T-mobile, and they'll do it with sprint if given the chance.

POOR business practices if you ask me.

Anywho Each of the companies have strong points and low points. and even if they /tmobile/ are not technologically true 4G, they are achieving the speeds that are required to be considered 4G... ATT is just crying, but i could be wrong. i have been before.

09-10-10 03:51 PM
    I'm in full reason to believe that ATT will do anything to make everyone else look little to make themselves appear to be bigger.

They did it with Verzion, they did it with T-mobile, and they'll do it with sprint if given the chance.

POOR business practices if you ask me.

Anywho Each of the companies have strong points and low points. and even if they are not technologically true 4G, they are achieving the speeds that are required to be considered 4G... ATT is just crying, but i could be wrong. i have been before.

AT&T is crying because they can technically roll out the same speeds if they want to. They just would not call it 4G because they are reserving that title for LTE, which is true 4G. I know T-Mobile network is able to theoretically reach 4G speeds, but I'm pretty sure that's where they cap at. I guess if it can be considered 4G, it would be the lowest grade 4G available.

AT&T does cry a lot though.
    09-10-10 03:54 PM
    AT&T sucks. Just all around they suck.
    09-10-10 11:14 PM
    AT&T sucks. Just all around they suck.
    It really depends. AT&T was really good in my area, and they were also very friendly any time I ever needed anything. Had great data speeds and full 3G coverage. Couldn't really complain besides a few dropped calls. I also go to Manhattan a lot so that helped with that.
    09-11-10 01:06 PM
    They have towers around here but it's only EDGE.
    09-12-10 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD