Your friend in time will regret getting a Storm 2. Currenty its the worst blackberry money can buy and surepress is an admitted failure by blackberry. He could have gotten so much more with the money he wasted.
    Well actually he got a new Storm 2 completely free with $0 activation fee, but is locked into a new 2yr contract with VZW which is no problem for him, he can always get a different phone even if he has to pay for the new one, nothing lost on the Storm2, and only knowledge gained.
    12-31-10 03:41 PM
    Does it really matter when someone says that "they hate android" or "would perfer a BlackBerry instead of an android phone"???????

It's the same formula everytime.

Someone mentions BlackBerry and Android in the same thread with a mixture of "which one is better" or "why should I leave BB for Android" etc etc.......

Then BOOM...........What do you have............

Another BlackBerry Vs. Android arguement. IS IT REALLY THAT MAJOR?

I guess yall had to have just one more before the new year lol.

Well, anyway, have a HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
    12-31-10 07:53 PM
    He he, thanks for a good chuckle...

50% huh? where do you get your research, lol! Besides, not everyone wants a phone that nags at them with a stupid LED. Choices: )
    I get my research from spending the better part of 3 months in carrier stores checking out phones, because I've been through 3 major carriers in 6 months looking for a decent device and service. You probably just buy you stuff from the Marketplace section on XDA, and get what the other lemmings tell you is good.

About half of those devices don't have LED indicators.

Yes, LED indicators are very useful. When I'm in the theater and my phone is on silent and I miss a call. I look down and see it. On the Android phone I don't know until the movie is over and I'm walking to my care. Could be an emergency.

If I'm in a meeting and someone sends me a Text/GTalk message to change a meeting time or something, I know it's there right away. Lack of LED indicators is like going from 2010 to 1999. It should not be happening. A phone should not have to turn the entire display on just to let you know when something comes in.

Again, if you brought a android device this year, you are good. Just like apple, or that thing you run. If you think a phone should run the latest OS 2 years old, you may want to look at marketing in a "slower" economy.
    Motorola Backflip, Behold II, users would like a word with you.

A phone should get decent support for a least a year - half the contract term.

Othrewise it's not worth buying the phone because a smartphone on contract ends up costing considerably more than the MSRP. No one pays $700 for a phone just to get dropped soon after the purchase. Maybe in your little world where support = a carrier rep telling you to root and go install a custom rom off XDA. But we live in the real world.

70% useless huh? well, I don't know where the **** I am going to store the 50 thousand useful ones (Oh, dude, good one LOL) but that is according to your stats

Games are only for fun, yup, if that ain't your thing then you prolly haven't opened brick breaker yet (no pun intended)?

You spent a week in the app market? Yay, you have seen 1%, good job
    What device were you on? Did you have permission?

If you think android stops at the market, you have homework to do! lol! We have many more markets we tap...la di da...
    1. Yes, about 70% of the apps are useless. I didn't say it was any different from any other app store, I'm just calling a spade a spade.

2. There are better ways to game than on a 4" smartphone screen sorry. I use my phone for stuff that matters.

3. Yes, games are only for fun. Thank you captain obvious. No, I haven't opened brick breaker up. BTW, that wasn't a pun. Are you out of the 10th grade, yet?

4. Android Market numbers are inflated. Apps either display or they don't based on Region, Device Type, Android Version, and Carrier. I've seen a lot more than 1% of the apps that display for my phone.

5. So basically you're telling me to use Android like it's Windows Mobile and scour the internet for disperate apps in disperate places? Can you sound any more ridiculous?

I agree, what comes with the phone should make the purchase.

Those of us, like apple users, and the BB users that support developers and pay a buck to a 25 bucks for apps get the good stuff. Tons of free apps run without fuzz if you have a GOOD device. In fact, all of us on 1 Ghz processors don't know what a pixel looks like, though I remember my storm
    For 25 bucks, a smartphone app has to be incredible. An app that completely duplicate stock functions are not great apps, IMO. They are just marginal improvements and improvements in the OS firmware can render that app virtually useless. I'm not paying $25 bucks for something that can be rendered useless in an update.

Force closes? Who puts up with that? We don't, nor do we put up with hourglasses, battery pulls or 5 minute Bootes! Our tech isn't fuzzy, he he, fast and clear, and you are welcome to upgrade when you drop the brick in the wall.
    Please try to keep things in perspective. I don't use a Blackberry. I use a Galaxy S Android handset. Force Closes happen all the time. The UI lacks GPU Accelleration. The OS is full of bugs (Pattern Lock Bug, SMS going to random people when you send, etc.), and the apps are generally of low quality.

This has much to do with Google's ridiculously lax app review standards. Like the example I gave (Blackberry Messenger "app" that does absolutley nothing in the Android Market), a lot of those apps simply should not be in the market.

Open source baby. We control our devices, if a lax environment on a secure OS isn't your thing, then stay put. As you can see, we have all been fine for years, but some peoples fear keeps them put (don't let me teach you the BB exploits that HAVE happened)
    Sometimes I think you people forget what Open Source actually means. Open Source has absolutely nothing to do with that. MacOSX has roots in Open Source and see how much control that's gotten them.

Microsoft can take a BSD and make a full proprietary OS based on it and still lock it down. Please read licenses and educate yourself on what Open Source ACTUALLY means, not what you want it to mean or what you want to use it as an excuse for...

I disagree, BB has a UI that is very attractive for certain individuals, you are wrong there, and many BB die hard fans will agree with me on this. They do things very well.
    Any UI is attractive to someone. Doesn't make it any less terrble.

Go ahead, get started! Ramble on man, that ol stink en Google talk, working on PCs Macs and everything, incorporated into chat clients like nimbuzz and whatever, yeah, BBM, the way every one will chat in a month (sarcasm man, sarcasm)
    So does MSN Live Messenger. You're point. Compare Google Talk in Android to Windows Live for Windows Mobile (the messenger) and you'll see that it is 100% embarassing. They can't even implement a decent IM client for their own platform. No one I know with an Android handset uses it, because it's that damn bad.

Please, feel free to tell us why we are wrong and what we are missing. If you are just going to make up stats and slam our platform, continue good laughs are always welcome.....

I do have a million ideas....
    I'm sure, casue it's Open Source amirite?
    12-31-10 09:51 PM
    Nice. Samsung made a smart move by doing that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Galaxy Tab runs TouchWiz. It's just a modified version for the Tablet.

The European Galaxy Tab is basically a 7" Galaxy S smartphone without an earpiece.
    12-31-10 09:53 PM
    Amazing. I bet the same people here ******** about Android fragmentation do not say one word about Windows devices. There are still people running Windows 2000 Professional, and XP.
    PCs do not depend on OEMs for firmware Upgrades, a person can just install Windows 7 if they have the specs to run it.

Also, Winodws has a 2+ decade legacy when it comes to backward and forward compatibility.

Can you sound any more ridiculous?

Android is absolutely fine and extremely successful. I used iOS for 2 years and I find Android to be a much better OS. I don't need extreme polish, I will take more functionality. Android offer more features out of the box.
    This statement isn't worth reading considering the first.
    12-31-10 09:56 PM
    Firmware is different from software.
    12-31-10 10:15 PM
    PCs do not depend on OEMs for firmware Upgrades, a person can just install Windows 7 if they have the specs to run it.

Also, Winodws has a 2+ decade legacy when it comes to backward and forward compatibility.

Can you sound any more ridiculous?

This statement isn't worth reading considering the first.
    And a Person can just install Froyo is they have the specs to run it. They don't have to depend on anyone but themselves to install an update.

My statement wasn't ridiculous. My point is Windows is fragmented as well, and even more so.

If the statement wasn't worth reading then why did you bother? Android is extremely successful and is doing extremely well right now. It really isn't that hard to see.
    01-01-11 09:22 AM
    Well if you mean fragmented by installed on different hardware across the spectrum like Steve Jobs attempted when he spoke of Android then absolutely Windows is severely fragmented. And BTW N8ter Windows as much as you think it is is not as backward/forward compatible as you think it is. The only OS I know of that is not fragmented is Mac OSX someone correct me if I am wrong. And N8ter please do some homework before you blast someone understand the difference between firmware and software. Here let me help A DELL BIOS (firmware) cannot be Loaded on an HP. But Windows (software) can. So in turn PC's ABSOLUTELY depend on OEM's for firmware updates.

Just so you understand the backward/forward compatible deal with WINDOWS I work at a Large Hospital and we still run XP due to 95% of our Clinical stuff not running on Vista or 7 so so much for backwards compatible and these programs run in IE and don't get me started on printers.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 01-01-11 at 09:39 AM.
    01-01-11 09:31 AM
    Well if you mean fragmented by installed on different hardware across the spectrum like Steve Jobs attempted when he spoke of Android then absolutely Windows is severely fragmented. And BTW N8ter Windows as much as you think it is is not as backward/forward compatible as you think it is. The only OS I know of that is not fragmented is Mac OSX someone correct me if I am wrong. And N8ter please do some homework before you blast someone understand the difference between firmware and software. Here let me help A DELL BIOS (firmware) cannot be Loaded on an HP.
    Yea I found that kinda funny.
    01-01-11 09:36 AM
    OS X isn't fragmented, because of how tightly Jobs manages it. And this talk about fragmentation should be reserved for Linux. Different manufacturers may implement different environments, but they adhere to the same package management method. Linux is a different story. Gentoo uses a package manager, but only to take care of dependencies. After that, it compiles every piece of software from source. You begin with nothing but a prompt. Slackware has a package manager of its own, but dependencies are left for the user to take care of. Also, most of its software is compiled from source. It, however, has pre-built packages to get you started right away if you want. Others like Ubuntu each has their own manager, and takes total care of dependencies. Also, the kind of bootloader chosen is up to the benevolent dictator of each distribution. Most use a form of GRUB, while Slackware uses LILO, and has the closest resemblance to BSD /UNIX,
    01-01-11 09:59 AM
    Fragment, word of the year already OY. This thread needs defragged to operate smoothly.
    01-01-11 10:27 AM
    There is no big difference between a Windows computer and a Max for what I use computers for (internet, word documents, music & videos). .

Even though Windows is fragmented, their software operates well enough to keep me satisfied for years. Android on the other hand, always has me looking for better hardware (i.e. dual core processors) because not everything on the platform is optimized for each device. That's the difference between fragmentation between Windows and Android for me. Fragmentation is much worse on Android IMO.
    01-01-11 11:05 AM
    There is no big difference between a Windows computer and a Max for what I use computers for (internet, word documents, music & videos). .

Even though Windows is fragmented, their software operates well enough to keep me satisfied for years. Android on the other hand, always has me looking for better hardware (i.e. dual core processors) because not everything on the platform is optimized for each device. That's the difference between fragmentation between Windows and Android for me. Fragmentation is much worse on Android IMO.
    Devices running at 1GHz or more are running perfectly stable and smooth. You are wrong with everything on Windows being optimized. You may be able to run the OS smooth with minimal requirements, but you try to play any decent game on minimal hardware, it will play like ****. The same goes for Android. The majority of apps work on every device. Some devices just run some apps better than others. Like games.

The only reason I am looking for better hardware is because I'm a smartphone geek and I'm always looking for the next best thing. There is absolutely no reason you need to run a dual core processor on Android right now unless you want to run Dungeon Defenders perfectly smooth. Once more developers code their apps to utilize dual core processors, then it will be a different ball game.
    01-01-11 11:19 AM
    Windows is hardly fragmented. Because it's closed source, fragmentation shouldn't be a point of discussion
    01-01-11 11:20 AM
    Android, itself is well -optimized. Applications, or rather, games are driving hardware progression
    01-01-11 11:22 AM
    Android, itself is well -optimized. Applications, or rather, games are driving hardware progression
    Exactly! And this is the same with Windows. The OS will operate fine on minimal hardware...certain applications, not so much.
    01-01-11 11:39 AM
    Jose knows......
    01-01-11 11:47 AM
    Well I wouldn't know because I never play games on my computer or phone.

Every OS has its flaws. I'm just pointing out some things I'd like changed with Android. If the HD7 weren't available I would definitely be rocking an Android phone. I just really like what Microsoft is doing with WP7 by making it Zune-ish.

But Android is still one of my favorite mobile OSs. WP7, iOS, and Android are all great IMO. I don't mind BB but they're not really for me.

01-01-11 12:03 PM
    Troll I am not. When I was sold the phone, I was not told anything that it can do. Just that it was the next great thing in hand held tech that could also be used to make phone calls. I know that the phone does more than I need it too..... What I should have asked instead of why should I like it was this.................. Tell me why I should like it by telling me what I am able to do with it. Keep your troll comments to yourself and if your cant help then STFU and go on about ya buisness. If you can and so choose to help then please enlighten me on the advantages of this devise.
    01-03-11 10:15 PM
    Thank god you don't do research. You said it. We study then buy....by.
    01-03-11 11:13 PM
    The device has to sell itself in your eyes; we're only one half of the equation. It is sad hearing sales rep really pushing one device over another. My brother just told me they did that to him when he got the Droid 2. Understand, these people have quotas to fulfill so in order for a salesman to look good, thus keeping the job. At the same time, anybody will sell a platform of they like it that much. I did it when I got my phone. In the end, you have to be the determinant. In order to do this effectively, you need to play with the phone itself. Lastly, there's a good archive in this very section of people selling, or lambasting Android. I actually went through it as I was about ready to pull the trigger
    01-04-11 03:33 AM
    Troll I am not. When I was sold the phone, I was not told anything that it can do. Just that it was the next great thing in hand held tech that could also be used to make phone calls. I know that the phone does more than I need it too..... What I should have asked instead of why should I like it was this.................. Tell me why I should like it by telling me what I am able to do with it. Keep your troll comments to yourself and if your cant help then STFU and go on about ya buisness. If you can and so choose to help then please enlighten me on the advantages of this devise.
    So you buy a device that you have no clue about, ask the wrong questions and then call others the troll? Yea.. Ok

You are asking other people why you should like a device. Figure it out for yourself. If I told you that you should like eating fried ****t, would you drop a deuce, throw it in a pan and then eat it? Just like the "help me choose which device I should buy" threads. Figure it out for yourself, you are the one that needs to live with the device, not us. If you need help with certain things, ok, but to ask us why YOU should like something is ridiculous. Expect the negative comments.
    Last edited by avt123; 01-04-11 at 06:03 AM.
    01-04-11 06:00 AM
    Haha yeah I have been researching for 6 months and I still have quesions before buying. And if you like it or dislike it I don't see how its anyone elses fault?

01-04-11 07:59 AM
    That's the bottom line: there's nobody to blame but yourself if you didn't do enough research (including using the device in question for a while in person) to know what you were getting.

We can tell you what we like 'til the cows come home, but at the end of the day it may turn out that you aren't like us and the things we like might be hated by you...
    01-04-11 04:19 PM
149 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD