So I got a Droid on launch day and gave up my storm 2. I love the Droid but I also love BB. I just got a S1 on craigslist for $75 bucks in mint condition.

My question is will I be able to switch off phones once in a while when im bored of one or the other? I didnt know if it was possible because Im assuming that the Droid data plan is different from BB data plan because of BIS/BES, BBM and whatever else there might be.

Anyone doing this or have done it in the past? Responses are greatly appreciated.
    11-13-09 12:24 PM
    Hmmm dont know why this got moved but ok.
    11-13-09 01:18 PM
    I haven't done it before, but I imagine you'd be able to do it whenever you wanted. The corresponding data plans for each of them cost the same whether you are a business user or personal user.
    11-13-09 01:52 PM
    i assume it should be fine, i know i was an alltel customer and when i got the droid they didn't change anything from my smartplan, it seemed to work find with both my 8330 and droid
    11-13-09 01:53 PM
    It is best to call Verizon and ask them, don't assume that it is ok just because the plans cost the same per month. I know the carriers pay RIM for the BES/BIS services, something that isn't involved with the general smartphone data plan (Droid).

There was a rule before about only being allowed 3 device switches during each billing cycle, but that was between smartphones/feature phones, due to Verizon having to prorate the bill for days the data/email plan wasn't used. I don't know how they would calculate the subsidy paid to RIM for the BIS services if one were to switch back and forth between BIS non-BIS email/data plans.
    11-13-09 02:01 PM
    Just keep the BIS service plan, you would still get data on the droid. Does the droid have a sim that you can switch back and forth with? since it's not a world phone i thought it didn't come with one.
    11-13-09 04:37 PM
    Just keep the BIS service plan, you would still get data on the droid. Does the droid have a sim that you can switch back and forth with? since it's not a world phone i thought it didn't come with one.
    No Sim Card.
    11-13-09 04:42 PM
    I can confirm this, as this was my concern when I got the DROID. I asked the VZW rep and he told me it should be no problem because the DROID uses the same data plan as you would on the Storm.
    11-13-09 06:43 PM
    Not really the same plan. Same price, but not the same service. A Blackberry email/data plan involves setting up an acct on RIM's servers, the email data plan for other smartphones doesn't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-09 07:05 PM
    So I got a Droid on launch day and gave up my storm 2. I love the Droid but I also love BB. I just got a S1 on craigslist for $75 bucks in mint condition.

My question is will I be able to switch off phones once in a while when im bored of one or the other? I didnt know if it was possible because Im assuming that the Droid data plan is different from BB data plan because of BIS/BES, BBM and whatever else there might be.

Anyone doing this or have done it in the past? Responses are greatly appreciated.
    So you went from S2 to Droid to S1? You ended up with a downgrade!
    11-13-09 08:06 PM
    When I switch from my Storm, I was told the data paln for the Droid is different that the BB data plan....whatever that meant....
    11-13-09 09:08 PM
    When I switch from my Storm, I was told the data paln for the Droid is different that the BB data plan....whatever that meant....
    Correct. The data plan for BB devices includes service through RIM's servers, the data plan for all other smartphones don't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-09 09:36 PM
    So you went from S2 to Droid to S1? You ended up with a downgrade!
    I went from the S2 to the droid. I still have the droid but I bought an S1 on craigslist because I am having withdrawls of not having a BB. And I sure as **** wasnt going to buy an S2 at full price so I settled for the used S1 and it has the .328 upgrade on it.

I talked to 3 reps over the phone because usually if you talk to more then one they all seem to give different answers but surprisingly they all told me that it will be no problem switching back and forth from the 2 phones.
    11-13-09 09:49 PM
    Seems like it would be a PITA seeing as how you would have to setup your BIS account then drop it over and over.
    11-14-09 05:18 AM
    I went from the S2 to the droid. I still have the droid but I bought an S1 on craigslist because I am having withdrawls of not having a BB. And I sure as **** wasnt going to buy an S2 at full price so I settled for the used S1 and it has the .328 upgrade on it.

I talked to 3 reps over the phone because usually if you talk to more then one they all seem to give different answers but surprisingly they all told me that it will be no problem switching back and forth from the 2 phones.
    those reps are full of it lol. someone up top when you first released this thread made a good point, the best way to do it is to keep your BIS data plan do to the fact you will still receive data on your droid with the storm's BIS service. the safe way is to call them everytime you want to switch and have them switch your data plan everytime from BIS to a DROID data plan if thats not to much of a hassle for you. and as for the droid being a world phone it will be soon with the release of its GSM version so that is also something to look into if you want to hash out the funds for a better version, because that DROID will come with the multi-touch technology as well.
    11-14-09 05:34 AM
    My Verizon rep told me that it was not a problem to switch if you were not using a corporate plan and were on BIS. I took him at his word, but haven't tried yet.
    I'm sure there will be howls of disgust if it turns out not so, and I'll bet VZW finds a way to charge us for each device switch!
    11-14-09 07:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD