iPhone 3Gs vs Droid in Allentown PA - taking 5 tests, and typing fastest and slowest for each phone. Both have 5 bars of 3G, wifi off, GPS off.

Droid tests:

Download - 2.6mb high 2.3mb low
    upload - 860k high 820kb low

iPhone 3Gs

Download - 710kb high 610kb low
    upload - 170kb high 130kb low

I did a little rounding down or up based on the scores to keep it simple.

As you can see in my area with full bars.... Droid > iPhone by a LONG shot. Its not even remotely close.
    11-25-09 01:30 PM
    That's because there's like 100 to 1 ratio.. the iPhone is murdering AT&T's network.. AT&T can't honestly say they have the fastest network.. In fake-world tests they do, but with all the iPhones literally eating their network alive, Verizon now has the real-world fastest.
    11-25-09 03:01 PM
    Say it in the iPhone section. I dare ya! Heck I double-dog dare ya!
    11-25-09 03:03 PM
    My first day I got the Droid and I did a test and 3gs killed the Droid in bringing up crackberry. Both had full bars. I hate the iPhone but I give it props for winning. Also the Droid beat the S2 very badly in
    the same test.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 03:37 PM
    My first day I got the Droid and I did a test and 3gs killed the Droid in bringing up crackberry. Both had full bars. I hate the iPhone but I give it props for winning. Also the Droid beat the S2 very badly in
    the same test.

I really hate everything the iPhone is, but I will give them credit for two things. Media capabilities (not iTunes, but just the way media is on the phone), and browsing.
    11-25-09 03:43 PM
    I really hate everything the iPhone is, but I will give them credit for two things. Media capabilities (not iTunes, but just the way media is on the phone), and browsing.
    Why do you hate the iPhone? I don't hate the Ferrari and I don't own one of them..
    11-25-09 03:51 PM
    Why do you hate the iPhone? I don't hate the Ferrari and I don't own one of them..
    I honestly don't know... which is why I don't say they suck, theyre good phones, just really not my thing...couple really nice things about em but overall I dislike them.
    11-25-09 04:39 PM
    I honestly don't know... which is why I don't say they suck, theyre good phones, just really not my thing...couple really nice things about em but overall I dislike them.
    Probably the user base.
    11-25-09 04:43 PM
    iPhone 3Gs vs Droid in Allentown PA - taking 5 tests, and typing fastest and slowest for each phone. Both have 5 bars of 3G, wifi off, GPS off.

Droid tests:

iPhone 3Gs

As you can see in my area with full bars.... Droid > iPhone by a LONG shot. Its not even remotely close.
    That is awesome. Network test are never mentioned on most iPhone vs. Droid blogs, they always use wifi! Weaklings.
    11-25-09 04:45 PM
    Probably the user base.
    It's very possible... I know a lot of iPhone users and they are all incredibly obnoxious about their phones.
    11-25-09 04:54 PM
    I smell a flame war coming... *gets popcorn*
    11-25-09 05:04 PM
    haha flame on!

Every page I load where I live.. 3Gs is losing by 5-15 seconds. Fastest 3G in my area is clearly Verizon. Hands down, not even close.
    11-25-09 05:16 PM
    the same test.

Indeed, the iphones browser is much faster. The pre's browser is much faster than the droid aswell. I found the pre, and the 3g's browser running on par with each other. Im hoping by the time the sony x10 comes out, that it will have a browser as fast as my pre...
    11-25-09 06:48 PM
    I love to do this test at work. Especially since in my area Verizon owns. When will iPwned users realize that derive should be the most important factor when purchasing a phone?
    11-25-09 07:52 PM
    Indeed, the iphones browser is much faster. The pre's browser is much faster than the droid aswell. I found the pre, and the 3g's browser running on par with each other. Im hoping by the time the sony x10 comes out, that it will have a browser as fast as my pre...
    Completely disagree. I have them side by side and im getting completely opposite results.
    11-25-09 08:34 PM

Droid tests:

iPhone 3Gs

Sales numbers don't lie either. Iphone > Droid by a LONG shot. Its not even remotely close.

You can pick up another Droid on the cheap here from these sites, though!

Motorola Droid Price Cut | Telecom | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

Its got to outsell the Palm Pre, so you can get it 40% off the original drop price, just three weeks after release! Iphone had to drop prices too. They only sold millions after DROPPING the price to 399. You go ahead and keep believing you have the better phone, opinions are subjective, doing your speedtest is ineffective in making comparisons when using two different networks, and its location dependent. Oh, and the Iphone is still outselling the Droid, which is still on par with the last Iphone killer. The Palm Pre.
    11-26-09 01:48 AM
    Say it in the iPhone section. I dare ya! Heck I double-dog dare ya!
    I have done that with a blackberry storm...flames for sure....but the adults over there seem to agree that the Motorola Droid is an equal of sorts (some have ditched the iphone for Droid, but I can't think of any one ditching a droid for an at&t apple phone).....it's as if there perspective is bound by logic. The children over there do get uptite and polar their words (but their easy to spot with their gimmicks) If I had an HTC....droid (which I like, kinda) then I would get more flames....because HTC isn't innovating enough next to the iphone....This is purely IMO...if you have HTC, be happy.....it is fine...and when HTC does get powerful phone out (their phones are actually capable enough), I am sure it will be dandy candy.
    Last edited by johnly; 11-26-09 at 11:20 AM.
    11-26-09 11:15 AM
    Sales numbers don't lie either. Iphone > Droid by a LONG shot. Its not even remotely close.

Motorola Droid Price Cut | Telecom | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

Its got to outsell the Palm Pre, so you can get it 40% off the original drop price, just three weeks after release! Iphone had to drop prices too. They only sold millions after DROPPING the price to 399. You go ahead and keep believing you have the better phone, opinions are subjective, doing your speedtest is ineffective in making comparisons when using two different networks, and its location dependent. Oh, and the Iphone is still outselling the Droid, which is still on par with the last Iphone killer. The Palm Pre.
    So how many droids were sold last week opposed to the iphone? Please - inform us of your knowledge.
    11-27-09 04:09 PM
    It's amazing because a friend of mine did a side by side test the Droid blew the iPhone out of the water. I wonder if different cities or areas make a difference? I do not mean signal as both phones had full signal. Hmmm?
    11-27-09 04:25 PM
    So how many droids were sold last week opposed to the iphone? Please - inform us of your knowledge.
    Do you own home work. Shouldn't you be answering some customers calls now, instead of getting paid to post on message boards? If you have enough to time browse here, you can go find the numbers yourself. People are lazy, man.
    11-27-09 04:33 PM
    Do you own home work. Shouldn't you be answering some customers calls now, instead of getting paid to post on message boards? If you have enough to time browse here, you can go find the numbers yourself. People are lazy, man.
    HAHA!! Typical answer to someone who doesn't know WTF they are talking about!!

YOU can't provide the numbers, because YOU don't know.

There you have it guys - Semantics just admitted he has no idea what he's talking about based on sales.

*cue twins to enter and save Semantics (his alias) ego*

EDIT: Oh and in case you forgot, since you don't know anything about the topic at hand - those sales numbers are not posted. So that's why I was asking for your expert opinion - or lack thereof.
    Last edited by tsguy52; 11-27-09 at 04:39 PM.
    11-27-09 04:36 PM
    So a few hours later and still no response with "hard evidence"...
    11-27-09 09:17 PM
    It all depends on your area, cache and your signal strength at the time of your test. The good thing about Thanksgiving was it allowed all my family members with iPhones to come over and try to beat the speed of the Droid. Pretty much every run the Droid was loading pages faster. 3G or WiFi it didn't matter the Droid was simply faster. Just for fun I we put the 3GS on WiFi and ran it against the Droid on 3G and while it evened the playing field, it simply did not matter. Depending on certain sites the Droid was still serving pages faster. I've seen what I needed to see and I know for sure here in California (Bay Area) any phone on Verizon is going to be faster. After getting bored we started to test the 3GS against my cousin's BB Tour and even the Tour was killing the iPhone!?!
    11-27-09 09:20 PM
    All phones have their strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately one of the Iphone's weakness is the network. If anyone pays close attention to att's coverage commercial with the post cards they never once mention that it is all 3g coverage, it is just where they have coverage "edge", along with the being able to browsing while talking this will only wok with 3g, so if you don't have it how is it a good selling point. But I do get tired of reading a good thread and the further down i go the more sh%# talking happens and you can always tell how the comment is going to go by what phone the person has. I have had every phone I like them all for one reason or another but I currently use the droid and like it, I do miss things that are on the other phones but they all have issues. So can we please stop making these forums a "my phone is better then yours".
    11-27-09 10:25 PM

Why are you even comparing iPhone sales to the Droid sales? The iPhone is on its third iteration, compared to the Droid's first run. Even if you were to compare the numbers of the first gen iPhone to the Droid's, it wouldn't be fair. The iPhone was the first of its kind here in the states, and there wasn't really any other phone that did what it could do.

The Droid is a great phone and I'm hoping it's going to do great things for Verizon. We were in dire need of a good smartphone, and we got a great one. Of course the iPhone is going to outsell the Droid. The poster was simply talking about speed tests within the phone's respective networks. When you talk about phones, you NEED to talk about networks. The phone is only as good as the network allows it to be.

Also, raw numbers are not always a good measure of quality. Look at the music industry today. Taylor Swift, anybody?
    11-28-09 01:51 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD