I'm looking to upgrade from a Z30 to a xperia 5 iii. What drove me to this device would be :
    - compact device
    - 5G
    - 888 Qualcomm chip
    - quality camera
    - the deticated shutter button
    - sony know for making high quality camera systems
    - I'm a bit of a sony fanboi. Sony tv and sound system along ps2, ps3 and ps4 have always been extremely reliable and of great quality.
    - bad experience with Samsung, but that was like 9 years ago.

User case:
    I love the BB10 integrated hub, but I need to move on because of slow browser, mediocre camera, need compatibility with apps and website when traveling ,etc. Most importantly I am tired of the camera that take ages to focus and just doesn't cut it anymore. I work in engineering and I often need to take pictures and videos in low light, bright spot lights, fast moving objects, far away, super close, etc.

My question :
    Considering the premium price tag on the xperia, I have to consider if this the right choice for me. What other compact devices would fit my preferences ? No iphones tho. Basically, I think a S21 ultra with a compact form factor would be ideal.

Thank you for your help.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-21 11:35 AM
    I'm looking to upgrade from a Z30 to a xperia 5 iii. What drove me to this device would be :
    - compact device
    - 5G
    - 888 Qualcomm chip
    - quality camera
    - I'm a bit of a sony fanboi. Sony tv and sound system along ps2, ps3 and ps4 have always been extremely reliable and of great quality.

User case:
    I love the BB10 integrated hub, but I need to move on because of slow browser, mediocre camera, need compatibility with apps and website when traveling ,etc. Most importantly I am tired of the camera that take ages to focus and just doesn't cut it anymore. I work in engineering and I often need to take pictures and videos in low light, bright spot lights, fast moving objects, far away, super close, etc.

My question :
    Considering the premium price tag on the xperia, I have to consider if this the right choice for me. What other compact devices would fit my preferences ? No iphones tho. Basically, I think a S21 ultra with a compact form factor would be ideal.

Thank you for your help.

Posted via CB10
    Try using GSMarena"s phone finder. Plug in your requirements, phone size (length, width, thickness) etc and any other tech needs and see what you come up with. Probably not very many compact devices these days though.

https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?
    09-21-21 11:40 AM
    - compact device
    - 5G
    - 888 Qualcomm chip
    - quality camera

User case:

My question :

Thank you for your help.

Posted via CB10
    For non-Chinese devices, you only have Google, Samsung, Sony, and Asus to draw from.

Both the Samsung S21 5G (Snapdragon) and the Asus Zenfone 8 have better cameras (119 and 120 pts on dxomark respectively), and the latter will be a lot cheaper.

Those are basically your 2 alternatives with your SoC and size constraints.
    Last edited by conite; 09-21-21 at 12:00 PM.
    Tjtb likes this.
    09-21-21 11:41 AM
    For non-Chinese devices, you only have Google, Samsung, Sony, and Asus to draw from.

Both the Samsung S21 5G (Snapdragon) and the Asus Zenfone 8 have better cameras (119 and 120 pts on dxomark respectively), and the latter will be a lot cheaper.

Those are basically your 2 alternatives with your SoC and size constraints.
    I'm surprised you didn't mention a pixel phone. Would you recommend any? Maybe I should wait for the 6?

For the S21, maybe wait for the S22 since the former released already a couple months ago?

I just can't shake the feeling that I'm being stupid for buying a niche sony phone for the same price as a iPhone 13 pro lol.

Thank you for your input.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-21 04:13 PM
    I'm surprised you didn't mention a pixel phone. Would you recommend any? Maybe I should wait for the 6?

For the S21, maybe wait for the S22 since the former released already a couple months ago?

I just can't shake the feeling that I'm being stupid for buying a niche sony phone for the same price as a iPhone 13 pro lol.

Thank you for your input.

Posted via CB10
    I love the Pixel 5 - nice and compact. Although I find it very snappy for my needs, it doesn't have the top-end 800-series SoC you crave.

I'm also all on board with the 6 Pro, but the 6's won't be compact.

I think the Sony is WAY overpriced for what it is. The Zenfone 8 is basically the same at a fraction of the cost.
    09-21-21 04:46 PM
    I love the Pixel 5 - nice and compact. Although I find it very snappy for my needs, it doesn't have the top-end 800-series SoC you crave.

I'm also all on board with the 6 Pro, but the 6's won't be compact.

I think the Sony is WAY overpriced for what it is. The Zenfone 8 is basically the same at a fraction of the cost.
    Why is the ZenFone so cheap? Just looked up the 8. Specs are awesome!

Too bad Verizon doesn't carry it . . .
    09-21-21 08:17 PM
    Why is the ZenFone so cheap? Just looked up the 8. Specs are awesome!

Too bad Verizon doesn't carry it . . .
    Asus is coming out swinging this year.
    09-21-21 08:28 PM
    Asus is coming out swinging this year.
    Totally agree. Was just checking out the Zen 8 as well https://m.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_8-review-2266.php as I like the compact devices. They seem to have done a nice job with this device but the only thing that concerns me is the support. They have promised 2 android letter upgrades but security patches may be a problem timewise. The nice thing about the device to perhaps mitigate that is the activity with Lineage builds. XDA folks are liking to work with the Zen 8.
    09-21-21 09:38 PM
    nothing from Nokia is recommended?
    09-22-21 12:18 AM
    nothing from Nokia is recommended?
    None that fit the criteria, no.
    09-22-21 07:31 AM
    I suggest you do some reading around about the Snapdragon 888 chips, a lot of people finding themselves with ovens in their hands, no matter the manufacturer.

The Xperia 5 III is a fabulously specced device but it seems Qualcomm has created another Snapdragon 810/808 with the 888 series, so you may not get the battery life you want and the camera may start giving overheating warnings.

If you are going to get a Snapdragon 888 device make sure it is one with great heat Management.
    09-23-21 02:44 AM
    I suggest you do some reading around about the Snapdragon 888 chips, a lot of people finding themselves with ovens in their hands, no matter the manufacturer.

The Xperia 5 III is a fabulously specced device but it seems Qualcomm has created another Snapdragon 810/808 with the 888 series, so you may not get the battery life you want and the camera may start giving overheating warnings.

If you are going to get a Snapdragon 888 device make sure it is one with great heat Management.
    Well eventually, even the BlackBerry Pocketwarmers do wear out and winter in the Northern hemisphere will be here soon.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    09-23-21 03:53 AM
    Sony xperia 5 iii vs competition-d8e87f9e-5965-4457-8e94-1b5d89cc7af7.jpeg
    well eventually, even the blackberry pocketwarmers do wear out and winter in the northern hemisphere will be here soon.
    lol!
    09-23-21 06:36 AM
    I have also always had a soft spot for Sony phones and most recently had a Z2 Compact. Good phone. I would consider the Xperia 5 iii - the form factor is a little different with the 21:9 aspect ratio - not much content is produced like that on Youtube but it's good for films etc. The thing that would put me off is a lack of wireless charging. It will have a great camera... but you'll need to dive into the settings to really get the best out of it.

I also have a Pixel 5 and am chuffed to bits with it; best camera on a smart phone I've ever had, and doesn't break the bank.
    09-23-21 10:04 AM
    I have also always had a soft spot for Sony phones and most recently had a Z2 Compact. Good phone. I would consider the Xperia 5 iii - the form factor is a little different with the 21:9 aspect ratio - not much content is produced like that on Youtube but it's good for films etc. The thing that would put me off is a lack of wireless charging. It will have a great camera... but you'll need to dive into the settings to really get the best out of it.

I also have a Pixel 5 and am chuffed to bits with it; best camera on a smart phone I've ever had, and doesn't break the bank.
    I think Pixel 5 is a Sony unit.... from three years ago, all the magic (and it is magic) is in the processing.

Really looking forward to seeing what the Pixel 6 Pro can do with actual new camera and Google's own chip design. I suspect it will break the bank, and more than the Xperia 5 iii - but it will be worth it for those wanting a Flagship option in the Pixel line and an overall best in class Android phone.
    09-23-21 10:44 AM
    I'm planning to get the Xperia 5 III will check when it's released if not the 5 ii.
    09-29-21 06:13 PM
    Feels like the Priv days all over again?

SD chipsets with two or more 8's in their name aren't behaving well lol?
    09-30-21 06:51 AM
    Feels like the Priv days all over again?

SD chipsets with two or more 8's in their name aren't behaving well lol?
    I don't think it's anything like the 808/810 situation. Many of the complaints come from those pushing the phones to the max in gaming of image/video processing. PRIV would get hot just browsing the web....

I do wonder why Samsung doesn't push their own processors more... One area where Apple has to be given some credit, you might not like the company or their ecosystem, but have to admit their hardware is pretty good (well excluding lack of keyboards for their phones).
    09-30-21 07:33 AM
    I don't think it's anything like the 808/810 situation. Many of the complaints come from those pushing the phones to the max in gaming of image/video processing. PRIV would get hot just browsing the web....

I do wonder why Samsung doesn't push their own processors more... One area where Apple has to be given some credit, you might not like the company or their ecosystem, but have to admit their hardware is pretty good (well excluding lack of keyboards for their phones).
    Xperia 5 iii now available on mi4canada since this morning I think. Shipping starting oct. 5th. I went ahead and bought one lol I guess I can't tell iPhone users they're paying a premium for the brand name anymore.

Will report back if I experience any overheating issues.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-21 11:30 AM
    Xperia 5 iii now available on mi4canada since this morning I think. Shipping starting oct. 5th. I went ahead and bought one lol I guess I can't tell iPhone users they're paying a premium for the brand name anymore.

Will report back if I experience any overheating issues.

Posted via CB10
    What's the update on your Sony Xperia 5 III ?

I just purchased one from Amazon Canada, prime, so I can send it back if I have issues etc.

Came to $1200 before hst here in Toronto. Curious to know how much you paid.

It was this or the top spec pixel 6 pro.

But I really wanted a compact device with the 3.5mm jack, water resistance, notification led, an oled screen, and that nice green colour.

Am I a fool? We'll see.....
    12-08-21 08:09 AM
    What's the update on your Sony Xperia 5 III ?

I just purchased one from Amazon Canada, prime, so I can send it back if I have issues etc.

Came to $1200 before hst here in Toronto. Curious to know how much you paid.

It was this or the top spec pixel 6 pro.

But I really wanted a compact device with the 3.5mm jack, water resistance, notification led, an oled screen, and that nice green colour.

Am I a fool? We'll see.....
    I cancelled my order because I realized it was the asian variant. I need the US variant for compatibility with the 5G network in Canada but there is no availability date in sight.
    So I bought a new pixel 3xl on amazon for 250$CAD as a transition. For a new device with android 12, it is well worth the money. I couldn't wait for the xperia as i needed a new device asap for travelling.

Good thing is I realized a pixel device might totally satisfy my needs and Im starting to find it hard to justify a 1400$ device that might get only 2 years of updates if Im lucky.
    12-08-21 09:07 AM
    iphone 13 or 13 mini. Simply good camera, secure os, and absolute 6 years software support (including security updates).
    12-08-21 07:48 PM
    I purchased the Sony Xperia 1iii. Me being an audiophile needed that 3.5 headphone jack and expandable storage for my FLAC files. I am upgrading from the S10+, and it seems the new phones are removing features for no reason but still charging more for a device.
    12-09-21 04:28 PM
    I purchased the Sony Xperia 1iii. Me being an audiophile needed that 3.5 headphone jack and expandable storage for my FLAC files. I am upgrading from the S10+, and it seems the new phones are removing features for no reason but still charging more for a device.
    ..."progress"...

..."newer is always better"...
    12-09-21 05:01 PM
    Most audiophiles would be wanting their own DAC anyway (via USB), so the headphone jack is not very useful for them. For everyone else, Bluetooth using aptX HD or LDAC is plenty sufficient for excellent sound quality.
    Last edited by conite; 12-09-21 at 07:10 PM.
    pdr733 likes this.
    12-09-21 05:05 PM
30 12