Okay, before posting this I did a search and found some comments that were helpful, but I know the users in this section of CrackBerry are friendly and helpful so I doubt I'll get flamed for asking some questions that may have been answered before and I missed them in the search... Anyways

For Droid and Eris owners:

- When viewing word documents, excel spreadsheets, and powerpoints - do they look good? BB is decent at best mainly because the screen is limited...

- Battery life. I have read mixed reviews from search results so maybe see if I can get more of a conclusion on this. I don't expect excellent battery life; my Tour's battery life is barely decent.

- Can Android view .pdf attachments?

For Droid owners:

- Does the slider mechanism become loose? Like loose enough to become annoying? I hate a lot of moving parts on a device, main reason I returned the Pre when I had it

- This may be a personal thing, but does anyone use the physical keyboard effectively? Or is it better to get better with the virtual?

For Eris Owners:

- Besides looks, what are the major advantages of the Sense UI? While using the Eris for about 15 minutes I didn't get to compare it to the vanilla Android nearly enough.

- Is the Droid Eris durable?

- Is the accelerometer a problem? When using it at Verizon one of them was average speed and the other display model was really slow... Don't know if the slow one was dropped or what.

That's my main concerns at this point. I want one of these devices and tried both at Verizon, but not enough to get all these definitive answers. I'm a college student and have been busy this week and will be next week too with classes before I can really go out and test some more. If anyone doesn't like this thread please don't post in it. I just want answers from those in the community who don't mind taking some time to answer any of these questions. Thanks.
    12-03-09 09:48 PM
    This whole story about the keyboard being flimsy is just not true. Mine is very solid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 10:17 PM
    This whole story about the keyboard being flimsy is just not true. Mine is very solid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Good to see you like your keyboard. I never meant to imply that it was flimsy... I'm asking about effectiveness as in typing speed and accuracy. When I tried it at Verizon I wasn't very good on it, I just was asking if people who have owned the Droid for more than a few days if they found themselves typing fast and accurately on it. That's all.
    12-03-09 10:27 PM
    At first I was using the virtual keyboards a lot but now that I'm used to the physical I can't stand the virtuals anymore. I use them for quick sms replies and that's it. The physical keyboard isn't as horrible as a lot of people say although I will say that RIM has the physical keyboard market cornered.
    12-03-09 11:31 PM
    I have the moto droid and its probably a 50/50 split with me on which keyboard I use. device is solidly built, battery is decent for what it is. Love the device. Had a tour previously and still am using a storm2 as my secondary device. will be droppingit very soon and going solely droid
    12-04-09 01:09 AM
    I usually use the virtual keyboards more than anything. I'm not a huge fan of the physical keyboard. Battery life is so-so I can get through a whole day now. I haven't downloaded anything 3rd party but so far I have been able to view a .pdf excel and word document. Looks fine and dandy on it.
    12-04-09 02:58 AM
    I have owned both. The Droid keyboard is fine. The looseness may be an issue, it will be interesting to see how its holding up for people after 6mo-1yr use. It could be just fine, but will be interesting.
    I currently own the Eris. I took the Droid back after 3 weeks use. The screen is great, but I did find the slide out keyboard to sometimes slide out in pocket, and the droid is heavy. I am an athlete (at least I think I am) and I run alot. I use my phone as my media source, and the droid was very heavy to use while exercisng. The eris is much lighter and smaller. It may not seem that much smaller but until you own the Droid and switch to eris, you will notice a huge difference.

My only eris concern... The touch screen menu options like back, home, search, etc. seem to press harder than the rest of the screen. The battery life isnt that bad. I had almost 10 hours worth of use yesterday.

Overall, the droid is one sweet phone, but in my opinion, it tends to be heavy after a few weeks. The eris is great due to smaller size and pricing is better.

just a heads up " I got my eris at Best Buy for 49.99. went to Dell mobile website, showed them the price of the eris(49.99) they matched it) the droid is 119.99 on dell and they were going to match it too. so do some shopping.
    12-04-09 07:04 AM
    I usually use the virtual keyboards more than anything. I'm not a huge fan of the physical keyboard. Battery life is so-so I can get through a whole day now. I haven't downloaded anything 3rd party but so far I have been able to view a .pdf excel and word document. Looks fine and dandy on it.
    Thank you. This response helped.

I have owned both. The Droid keyboard is fine. The looseness may be an issue, it will be interesting to see how its holding up for people after 6mo-1yr use. It could be just fine, but will be interesting.
    I currently own the Eris. I took the Droid back after 3 weeks use. The screen is great, but I did find the slide out keyboard to sometimes slide out in pocket, and the droid is heavy. I am an athlete (at least I think I am) and I run alot. I use my phone as my media source, and the droid was very heavy to use while exercisng. The eris is much lighter and smaller. It may not seem that much smaller but until you own the Droid and switch to eris, you will notice a huge difference.

My only eris concern... The touch screen menu options like back, home, search, etc. seem to press harder than the rest of the screen. The battery life isnt that bad. I had almost 10 hours worth of use yesterday.

Overall, the droid is one sweet phone, but in my opinion, it tends to be heavy after a few weeks. The eris is great due to smaller size and pricing is better.

just a heads up " I got my eris at Best Buy for 49.99. went to Dell mobile website, showed them the price of the eris(49.99) they matched it) the droid is 119.99 on dell and they were going to match it too. so do some shopping.
    Thank you for the comparison of both devices. Still undecided, but I can tell that I would be happy with either phone. I'll think about it.
    12-04-09 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD