The DZ isn't better. Hardware wise, the SGS still has the best out of any Android device out.
    The DZ is actually a great example of how "hardware-wise" doesn't mean anything, because even though it's specced under the SGS, it keeps up with it stride for stride in just about every way, not to mention the somehow improved download speeds in it compared to the SGS line makes it faster (online gaming, browser, etc) on the DZ than SGS.

At first I didn't even believe the crap that Bell was spewing. The DZ still doesn't do 14.6 MBPS download; I don't care where you stand, but I came really damn close to the advertised (5.76MPBS) upload speed, and hit 4.13 MPBS upload. SpeedTest to the same towers from the same foot of space doesn't lie, the Desire Z is faster download and upload by quite a bit.

Regardless, I consider them both on completely equal footing (both with pros, both with cons) and both are top notch Android devices.

@reneebob, I entered that contest the day you told me about it, I won a GUND plush Dolphin. Not quite as awesome as an SGS. I'm hoping I can get the HTC Desire for today though lol. Or hopefully the Fascinate comes up again!
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 11-20-10 at 04:39 AM.
    11-20-10 04:33 AM
    I like the galaxy s phones better than the g2/desire z as well and for these reasons:

-super amoled screen
    -4" display
    -no slider
    -better hardware

The only better thing I can think of on the g2 and desire is stock android and sense hi which I prefer to touchwiz. That said, I would just put launcher pro over touchwiz anyway and it would be just as fast if not faster than a stock and sense hi phone.
    11-20-10 06:51 AM
    The DZ is actually a great example of how "hardware-wise" doesn't mean anything, because even though it's specced under the SGS, it keeps up with it stride for stride in just about every way, not to mention the somehow improved download speeds in it compared to the SGS line makes it faster (online gaming, browser, etc) on the DZ than SGS.

At first I didn't even believe the crap that Bell was spewing. The DZ still doesn't do 14.6 MBPS download; I don't care where you stand, but I came really damn close to the advertised (5.76MPBS) upload speed, and hit 4.13 MPBS upload. SpeedTest to the same towers from the same foot of space doesn't lie, the Desire Z is faster download and upload by quite a bit.

Regardless, I consider them both on completely equal footing (both with pros, both with cons) and both are top notch Android devices.

@reneebob, I entered that contest the day you told me about it, I won a GUND plush Dolphin. Not quite as awesome as an SGS. I'm hoping I can get the HTC Desire for today though lol. Or hopefully the Fascinate comes up again!
    Yeah, I have to say that smaller processor or not, the DZ is faster, with little to no lag. It's that file system Samsung saddled the SGS with. However, I can't get past the screen. I miss that screen.

LOL Glitch, so did a co-worker, and he got the dolphin too. I think the Desire was the last Android, but the last day is 40 Torches. The rules and regs email they sent me with the release form for the phone had the breakdown of the daily prizes. Tuesday the 23rd is the last day, and yes, it's 40 Torches.
    11-21-10 11:25 AM
    Sweet. I thought it was all month, and maybe I'd get a giveaway on my birthday, the 28th. Le sigh.
    11-21-10 05:18 PM
    The SGS outpaces every device when it is running on 2.2. I'm not talking download speeds, I'm talking raw performance. The hummingbird processor is more efficient than Snapdragon. Even the new ones.

For everyday performance, they are. Anything graphical or that requires a lot of power, I would much rather have the SGS in that department.
    11-22-10 12:45 PM
    The SGS outpaces every device when it is running on 2.2. I'm not talking download speeds, I'm talking raw performance. The hummingbird processor is more efficient than Snapdragon. Even the new ones.

For everyday performance, they are. Anything graphical or that requires a lot of power, I would much rather have the SGS in that department.
    Here's a breakdown of the Qualcomm chip used in the Desire Z:

•MSM7x30™ Chipsets
    The MSM7x30 chipset platform consists of the MSM7230™ and MSM7630™.

Scorpion 800 MHz CPU
    Integrated 3G mobile broadband connectivity
    MSM7230 support for HSPA+ networks - up to 14 Mbps downloads and 5.76 Mbps uploads
    MSM7630 support for HSPA+ networks - up to 14.4 Mbps downloads and 5.76 Mbps uploads – as well as CDMA2000 1X, 1xEV-DO Rel A/B, GSM, GPRS and EDGE
    Low-power 45nm process technology for higher integration and performance
    High-definition (720p) video recording and playback up to 30 frames per second
    Multiple video codecs: (MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, VC-1, DivX, DivX 3.11, Sorenson Spark, VP6)
    High-performance GPU - up to 41M triangles/sec and 245M 3D pixels/sec and dedicated 3D/2D acceleration engines for Open GLES 2.0 and Open VG 1.1 accelerationHigh-resolution XGA (1024x768) display support
    12-megapixel camera support
    Built-in eighth-generation gps engine with Standalone-GPS and Assisted-GPS modes
    Support for Wi-Fi� and Bluetooth� connectivity
    Multiple audio codecs: (AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, FR, EFR, HR, WB-AMR, G.729a, G.711, AAC stereo encode)
    Support for mobile broadcast TV (MediaFLO™, DVB-H and ISDB-T)
    Support for Android™, Brew� Mobile Platform and Windows� Phone

From what i've read..its the better GPU in it that makes it better than the early Snapdragons and Hummingbird Processors, and if i'm not mistaken its "low power 45nm process technology" is similiar to the one in the i4..but I could be wrong..cuz i'm no guru.

EDIT: Even though the Scorpion does 41Million triangles /sec..the Hummingbird in the SGS is supposed to do 90Million..so that's quite a jump!
    Last edited by Rickroller; 11-22-10 at 03:50 PM.
    11-22-10 03:44 PM

Best hardware, bar none. Imagine that gpu with 850 mb of ram.
    11-22-10 04:06 PM
    Here's a breakdown of the Qualcomm chip used in the Desire Z:

�MSM7x30� Chipsets
    The MSM7x30 chipset platform consists of the MSM7230� and MSM7630�.

Scorpion 800 MHz CPU
    Integrated 3G mobile broadband connectivity
    MSM7230 support for HSPA+ networks - up to 14 Mbps downloads and 5.76 Mbps uploads
    MSM7630 support for HSPA+ networks - up to 14.4 Mbps downloads and 5.76 Mbps uploads � as well as CDMA2000 1X, 1xEV-DO Rel A/B, GSM, GPRS and EDGE
    Low-power 45nm process technology for higher integration and performance
    High-definition (720p) video recording and playback up to 30 frames per second
    Multiple video codecs: (MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, VC-1, DivX, DivX 3.11, Sorenson Spark, VP6)
    High-performance GPU - up to 41M triangles/sec and 245M 3D pixels/sec and dedicated 3D/2D acceleration engines for Open GLES 2.0 and Open VG 1.1 accelerationHigh-resolution XGA (1024x768) display support
    12-megapixel camera support
    Built-in eighth-generation gps engine with Standalone-GPS and Assisted-GPS modes
    Support for Wi-Fi� and Bluetooth� connectivity
    Multiple audio codecs: (AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, FR, EFR, HR, WB-AMR, G.729a, G.711, AAC stereo encode)
    Support for mobile broadcast TV (MediaFLO�, DVB-H and ISDB-T)
    Support for Android�, Brew� Mobile Platform and Windows� Phone

From what i've read..its the better GPU in it that makes it better than the early Snapdragons and Hummingbird Processors, and if i'm not mistaken its "low power 45nm process technology" is similiar to the one in the i4..but I could be wrong..cuz i'm no guru.

EDIT: Even though the Scorpion does 41Million triangles /sec..the Hummingbird in the SGS is supposed to do 90Million..so that's quite a jump!

Hummingbird is still better. I believe Hummingbird and the OMAP processors that are in DX+ are already 45nm process technology. Qualcomm is late to the game, and what Samsung already has in the works makes their current Hummingbird processor look like absolute crap. QC has a lot of catching up to do.
    11-22-10 06:34 PM
    Best hardware, bar none. Imagine that gpu with 850 mb of ram.
    The smile wont go away.
    11-22-10 06:35 PM
    LOL Mr Reeneebob just won the HTC Desire in the Telus contest. HEE!
    11-24-10 07:46 PM
    LOL Mr Reeneebob just won the HTC Desire in the Telus contest. HEE!
    Congrats on the extra device lol.
    11-25-10 09:36 PM
    LOL that's 2! I got the Fascinate! LOL

I am still rolling...what are the odds.
    11-25-10 09:41 PM
    The DZ isn't better. Hardware wise, the SGS still has the best out of any Android device out.
    This is incorrect. A keyboard > no keyboard, whether you like it or not. The Desire Z/G2 proccessor is a Second Generation SnapDragon, which is faster than even the 1GHz 1st gen standard in high end android devices. On top of that, this 2nd Gen proccessor is overclockable to nearly 2GHz, which will absolutely blow the Samsung proccessor out of the water. Overclocked G2's have seen quadrant scores in the 3300's, while the Galaxy S barely does 800 At the moment, there is no competition between these phones.
    11-29-10 06:15 PM
    Keyboard vs. no keyboard is subjective. I actually prefer typing on my screen, than the Droid slideout, even though I'm trying to get used to it. It depends on what keyboard you're planning to use.
    11-29-10 06:40 PM
    This is incorrect. A keyboard > no keyboard, whether you like it or not. The Desire Z/G2 proccessor is a Second Generation SnapDragon, which is faster than even the 1GHz 1st gen standard in high end android devices. On top of that, this 2nd Gen proccessor is overclockable to nearly 2GHz, which will absolutely blow the Samsung proccessor out of the water. Overclocked G2's have seen quadrant scores in the 3300's, while the Galaxy S barely does 800 At the moment, there is no competition between these phones.
    Lol. And if you had ANY clue about what your were talking about you would know Quadrant scores mean NOTHING.

Look at the stats man. The Scorpion is still not as efficient or as powerful as the Hummingbird, and the GPU on the hummingbird is STILL better. Scorpion GPU does 41million triangles/sec while the hummingbird does 90millon triangles/sec.. That is over DOUBLE the Scorpion.

Your keyboard theory has absolutely nothing to do with the technical specs of this device (GPU, CPU, RAM, ROM), whether YOU like it or not. A keyboard is just an option, we are discussing raw power. You may want to re-read the post from Rickroller again before you call me incorrect.

Also, you are talking about overclocked CPUs to stock. And that video is on 2.1 without the lagfix. The SGS scores way higher, you would know that if you knew anything about the device. Froyo makes a huge difference.

Also, the 2nd Gen Snapdragon is already outdated. The new chip Samsung has coming out is going to make that Snapdragon look worse than the 1st gen hummingbird already does. Same with Marvel, their new chip destroys the Scorpion.

Qualcomm makes good chips, but right now they are old news and not top of the game anymore. They were when the Nexus One first came out.
    Last edited by avt123; 11-30-10 at 02:56 AM.
    11-30-10 02:51 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD