here it is, short and sweet. My needs on Verizon

gmail
    web browsing (prefer touch over trackball/pointing device)
    un-locked GPS (for google maps)

any quick thoughts?
    10-27-09 09:04 PM
    storm 2 not the best web browser... so i have been told lol
    10-27-09 09:07 PM
    the s2 is dead last in the browser contest. lol
    10-27-09 09:09 PM
    here it is, short and sweet. My needs on Verizon

gmail
    web browsing (prefer touch over trackball/pointing device)
    un-locked GPS (for google maps)

any quick thoughts?
    For right now, if those are the things you're looking for, the Droid would be best for you.

I'm a huuuuge fan of Blackberries - I have an 8330, 9630 Tour, and a Storm 9530, and I was so sold on the Storm2 9550 for the past 2 months... then I reassessed my needs, and I have the same as you.

I use strictly google applications, even for work, especially gmail and google maps. I also need a good mobile browser for work purposes... unfortunately, it doesn't make sense for me to go with the Storm2. I'm leaning toward the Droid, which makes me SO sad. I guess I just wish the Storm2 had a better browser *right* now. I know with RIM's acquisition of that Torch company they will have a better browser in the coming months/year(s), but I don't really want to wait.

I'll miss the security of a blackberry... I gotta check into how secure a Droid is. I'm guessing it's not up to par with a Blackberry. And, I'm going to heavily miss Blackberry Messenger. Grr, I'll really hate losing that.

One reason I am *NOT* picking the Droid over the Storm2 is any assumption that it's an 'iPhone killer' - the iPhone bores me, and I could care less. I just want the best experience for the specific needs that I have. Phones can do so much these days, but I like to pick the phone that does best the few things that I use it most for. For me, that's the Droid.

Anyway, in short, pick the phone that works best for you. If the things you outlined in your post are most important to you, I'd say the Droid would work best for you...
    10-27-09 09:29 PM
    From what I have heard and seen the WinMo 6.5 browser on the hTC Imagio is pretty nice. Don't know about the e-mail capabilities, and the GPS system is through google iirc.
    10-27-09 09:30 PM
    Thanks for all of these very concise answers without in-fighting.
    10-27-09 09:54 PM
    The StarTac has a better browser than RIM
    10-27-09 09:55 PM
    I hear the vzw Motorola Sholes droid phone is suppose to get good battery life. Battery life is one of the reasons I stick with (am stuck with) blackberries.
    10-27-09 10:00 PM
    the s2 is dead last in the browser contest. lol
    Load up opera on there. 10x faster than the stock browser and the pages look a whole lot better when they are not loading the mobile versions.

I am kinda partial to my @vzw.blackberry.net email address now that I have had it for a few years.
    10-27-09 10:08 PM
    Just read that goggle maps on ther Droid is voice turn by turn. - that may have sealed the deal for me
    10-28-09 05:53 PM
    But Google has to release version of the turn by turn for other Google Map platforms, no?
    11-01-09 06:25 PM
    But Google has to release version of the turn by turn for other Google Map platforms, no?
    Google Maps navigation comes pre-installed one the Droid, it is still in beta (what Google product isn't) and it is free.
    11-01-09 06:38 PM
    I have played with both and so have 2 of my IT buddies. If you are advanced enough of a user then BB Storm 2 is a much better device for u. The Droid was nice in the fact that it has most of the stuff you need pre-installed. But if you are a control freak like me then the BB Storm 2 allows you far more control than any device period. That said, I say BB Storm 2 all the way. I have installed Google maps with just the permissions that it needs and works flawless on the BB 2s. (I am a BB fan, and I do hate Motorolla's execution. Google is cool, Motorolla sux). BlackBerry RocksTTTT Wake up Balsillie.
    11-09-09 11:57 PM
    Wow fanboy it much...Sorry but most of the problems people are having with the droid is bc they are not advanced enough to figure out all the functions. Yes the storm2 is going to be a more solid device right now seeing its a 2nd gen device, while the droid was just released. Compare them in a couple of months when droid gets an update or two.
    11-10-09 12:09 AM
    LOL, at least I was honest about it.
    11-10-09 01:16 PM
    Google Maps on a Blackberry will be nothing like the Google Maps on the Droid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 02:15 PM
    Google Maps on a Blackberry will be nothing like the Google Maps on the Droid.

no but it works great on my BB. No audible turn by turn stuff (you can get that from others but you gotta pay for the good ones). It's fast and accurate on a BB (and free).
    11-10-09 02:29 PM
    I am a huge BB fan but I also like to weigh things evenly. First, I just recently left an 8320 and moved into an unlocked 9550. I have never looked back. The screen is incredible and don't listen to the bias reviews from people that can't seem to wrap their head around a touch screen that you have to click. Deh! Blackberry designed it that way. It's not a flaw and once you spend a little time with it, it's freakin awesome. After using the SureType, I highly doubt that I will ever use a physical keyboard again. That being said, my best friend just moved into a Droid. I have played with them at the Verizon store and really wasn't all that blown away, but then again I didn't spend a lot of time either. The one thing that I can't stand is the keyboard. To me, it just doesn't work. The buttons are too flat and hard to push down and it's cramped. When holding the phone to type, it just doesn't feel good to me. I am not a fan of the sliders though either. With these things in mind, a test drive of both devices are needed to determine which device is the best for you. BB's were never really designed for multimedia and the likes of the Droid and iphone weren't really designed for business users either. They are all trying to adapt to these roles. My wife has a Motorola Cliq that she loves. The Android os is pretty sweet. For me personally, I love the Storm. My wife wishes she had my screen and keyboard. For me the browser really isn't that big of a deal. Bolt or Opera handle that fine. Try them all out and buy what ya like cuz at the end of the day, it's your phone and your money. Just my opinion.
    03-19-10 02:19 AM
    I love the Storm 2 I have slways wanted one. I love the screen and suretype is great. I play with it sll the time when I go to the Verizon store. It is definitely the devixe I wish I had for thirty days to take it through the paces. I have an Android device so I know what the Droid offers - pure perfection. Android is a beast if an operating system. The Google integration is stellar an unrivaled. I would go with the Droid, but the Storm 2 is an excellent choice too. You couldnt go wrong with either. Or you could wait until next week for the Nexus One.

03-19-10 04:48 AM
    No. In fact, I can see them keeping it as an incentive for people to switch to Android.
    03-19-10 07:46 AM
    The Eris gets very little attention on these forums, but it is the best Android out there on Verizon at the moment. When the Incredible comes out, it will be my choice. I do not like the Moto Droid form factor or keyboard. Otherwise, the OS is good.
    If and when the N1 comes to Verizon, then that would be another great choice.
    03-19-10 08:12 AM
    The Eris gets very little attention on these forums, but it is the best Android out there on Verizon at the moment. When the Incredible comes out, it will be my choice. I do not like the Moto Droid form factor or keyboard. Otherwise, the OS is good.
    If and when the N1 comes to Verizon, then that would be another great choice.
    It's not better than the Droid. It is a cool phone, but I don't know too many people who would choose it over the Droid unless price was a factor.
    03-20-10 10:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD