I upgraded my BB from 8330 to the 8530 and I hate it. I almost feel like it was a downgrade. So, I am considering moving to the EVO, or even possibly the EVO Shift, but it seems like the EVO is almost outdated, it's been out awhile. Should I wait a little while to see if something new might come out? Or should I just go for it? I am particularly concerned about the batter life, but can deal with it, I think.

Would love to hear some opinions.
    03-03-11 04:57 PM
    Why did you get the lowest end BB?? Should of went with the Style,bold or hold off a few months for the dakota jmo. i had the evo 3 times the screen on it stinks,batt life was terrible and the I couldnt get a good picture on it.
    03-03-11 06:41 PM
    EVO is a good phone. If you want to stay with the BBOS then i agree try the bold as it is better than what you have. Not sure when the next set of good androids will hit sprint but i think it will be soon so i would wait a month and see what arrives
    03-03-11 06:47 PM
    I didn't know this was a low end BB when I got it last summer. I only got this one because my 8330 crapped out on me and I needed to walk out the door with a phone that day. The style wasn't even out yet, this was the newest BB on the market with Sprint and I didn't know anything else was coming out. Anyway, I know someone with a Style and I don't really like it either. I almost went with the EVO that day, but I had heard such terrible reviews regarding battery life and I don't want to carry a charger or extra battery with me everywhere I go. I absolutely love BB, well I used to at least. I love having a keyboard, but swype looks pretty fast and I can probably get used to it. I know that new dual screen kyocera is coming out soon, but I don't really think I want a phone with moving parts, so the EVO just seems like it will fit the bill. I just hate wondering if the next best thing will be out the day after I buy a new gadget.

Edit to add: I am getting tired if BBOS, so I don't know if the bold will really satisfy me. I want to be able to do more. I especially want IMAP folder support and there is a free android app called K9 that I think is better than the only IMAP email client I could find or BB called logicmail. That's a main reason for switching. I know RIM will never give BIS users 2-way IMAP sync or folder support. I can do that on Android, among so many other things to help productivity.....at least for 2 hours at a time until my battery dies! LOL
    Last edited by greatgadsden; 03-03-11 at 06:58 PM.
    03-03-11 06:55 PM
    my GF gets 36-48 hours on her evo most all the time
    03-03-11 07:02 PM
    my GF gets 36-48 hours on her evo most all the time
    Really?!? What's all this crap about 2-3 hours of normal use? Does she actually use it? Or is that just standby? The specs on it say 6 hours continuous talk time, so she must not be talking a whole lot on it to be able to go that long, because they always overstate the battery time.
    03-03-11 07:09 PM
    I got 8hrs max on light useage with mine. And by the way why did u buy a phone that didnt even have flash on the camera?? that should of been a sign right there lol! I got a buddy that just upgraded from the 8330 today to the Bold and he said he's so glad he passed up the battery suckin evo!
    Last edited by Slammer; 03-03-11 at 07:16 PM.
    03-03-11 07:11 PM
    probably not much voice but more texting/gtalk internet email than anything.

she is more a typical to light user but 20 hours shouldnt be hard unless you have a bad app installed, you are using a task killer or bad signal coverage. Ooh and using the 4G data will kill the battery to but that is expected.
    03-03-11 07:16 PM
    I really hope Sprint comes out with a dual-mode (CDMA/GSM) Android phone soon.
    03-03-11 07:20 PM
    Sprint should be annoucing something on March 22nd... Sprint hands out invites to its CTIA event, promises "the latest in wireless innovation" | PhoneDog I would at least wait and see what it is... Or just get yhe EVO Shift
    03-04-11 01:34 AM
    I have to agree with other posters... the 8530 was not much of an upgrade. The Bold 9650 would have been a better choice, and probably would've made you happier.

As far as the EVO.... I've used it, and it's a great device, but the battery life sucks. The EVO Shift, is a nice device, but not as good as the EVO. If I was referencing the EVO to a BlackBerry, I'd say the EVO is like a Bold 9650, and the EVO shift is like the Curve 8530.

Now the Samsung Epic is also a nice device, and I think it has a better screen than the EVO, but still... battery life sucks.

My best suggestion would be to stick it out and wait to see what is coming out. I'm sure you've seen the roadmap that we leaked on the blogs. There are some great BlackBerry devices coming soon. If you are just that fed up with the 8530 now, then maybe take a look in the CrackBerry Marketplace and see if there is something in there that can maybe get you by until some new BlackBerry announcements are made... I'm guessing some devices will be announced in May at BlackBerry World.
    03-04-11 01:52 AM
    What device enhances your life? make it better? easier? Fun? productive? Do it !
    03-04-11 02:19 AM
    Ok I have had the 8330,8530,9650,9670,Evo and now the Evo shift. In no way is the shift like the 8530. The Evo is a great device it was just too big for me. I have had the shift for three weeks and I love it. After about a week the battery life got better. I can go a full 24 hours without charging and I am a moderate to heavy user. This device is absolutly comparable to the original Evo. The display looks better than the Evo. I like the option of the keyboard and the smaller form. You would not be dissapointed with this device and no way I'm going back to BB unless their is a serious touchscreen device for Sprint.
    jules966 likes this.
    03-04-11 06:57 AM
    Just find one that you like and go for it. There is no need to wait.
    I made that mistake before with the storm. I was hoping that rim would release something soon and it never came.

All that time waiting and I could have been enjoying a better phone.

There will always be something newer and perhaps better, but if you are trying to always have the latest and greatest, you will. Just be chasing your tail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 10:02 PM
    Hard to imagine anything beating the Evo. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Android person, nor Evo, because of the size, but if neither of those things turns you off, then this is the device for you!!!
    03-05-11 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD