I currently have the Curve 8330 with Verizon. it has been the best phone I have ever owned. I am due for an upgrade not and the phone the I am looking at the most is the Droid with Verizon ?

I still love blackberry, but I am not convinced that the new devices can outperform the Droid.

What do you think it the best phone to upgrade to on the Verizon network.

I am a 40's sales professional - so this would be mostly a business phone, but I think I will enjoy the many more apps. that the droid has to offer.

Any thoughts, is the Droid a good choice ?

Jason. ;
    03-19-10 09:29 PM
    Can anyone talk me into getting another BB instead of a Droid on the Verizon network

Does BB offer anything that can stand up to the Droid ?
    03-19-10 10:08 PM
    It your looking for a multi media phone then go with the droid I've heard the push email feature doesn't work to well yea it a cool TOY that you can play around with but if you need a buisness phone I'd advise a bold 9700 best phone in my opinion

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-19-10 10:52 PM
    ya know..the droid outdoes the BB anyday. im not trying to start anything. i'm just saying. i play with my buddies droid every day at work. i cannot wait to switch to android...it does everything my bb does but better...i guess it's just personal preference *shrug*

Jason: going from an older curve to a droid is like going from a saturn to a mercedes (in my opinion anyway)
    03-19-10 11:06 PM
    ya know..the droid outdoes the BB anyday. im not trying to start anything. i'm just saying. i play with my buddies droid every day at work. i cannot wait to switch to android...it does everything my bb does but better...i guess it's just personal preference *shrug*

Jason: going from an older curve to a droid is like going from a saturn to a mercedes (in my opinion anyway)
    Thanks Itzjusnick and Webmastir - I guess I am just stuck. My curve has been so reliable, but everyone I talk to says the Droid is the next thing.

How about texting and emailing, does the droid do a good job of that, like the BB does ?

I am not too worried about pushed email, because I don't have that enabled right now on my curve.

Do you know of any other CONs regarding the Droid, except the pushed emailed issue ?

thanks guys.

Jason.
    03-20-10 11:30 AM
    The droid doesn't have the sirius app or some other apps like blackberry. But that's what I've read

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-10 11:44 AM
    I would look into the HTC Touch Pro 2. That's what I am upgrading to next month. I looked at the Moto Droid and hated the key board. I am a heavy e-mail and text user and played with the Droid a lot. Never felt comfortable with it. The TP2 on the other hand felt so nice I never missed a key stroke and it was very comfortable in my hands. A friend has the Droid but doesn't e-mail or text like I do so he says he is ok with the key board.
    So before you buy. Look at the TP2.

03-20-10 11:44 AM
    I have played with my niece's and brother-in-law's droids. I don't like the keyboard. Give me a BB anyday. Why don't you wait for the new Verizon BB due in may? Give it a chance.

03-20-10 11:50 AM
    Seem to me if you want to know of the cons of the Droid, then why post the question here. Why not post on the Android forum. This can very easily become an us vs. them tread in no time (unless that was your intent). The BlackBerry forum can give great advice on Blackberrys, and I'm sure the Android forums can give great advice on the Droid. If business is your pleasure for a Blackberry device, then the 9700 is the way to go. Can't speak for the Droid.
    03-21-10 12:18 AM
    I have played with my niece's and brother-in-law's droids. I don't like the keyboard. Give me a BB anyday. Why don't you wait for the new Verizon BB due in may? Give it a chance.

VNDlewis :

Do you know what new BB device is that is coming out in May ?

sorry guys - not trying to make this us vs. them. I am a lover of BB. The whole idea is that I am not sure that I want to step away from the BB platform.
    03-21-10 10:36 AM
    The more that I read in the forums, the more I am concerned about the Droid keyboard.

The BB keyboard is so great for easily responding to text messages, etc.
    03-21-10 05:12 PM
    VNDlewis :

Do you know what new BB device is that is coming out in May ?

sorry guys - not trying to make this us vs. them. I am a lover of BB. The whole idea is that I am not sure that I want to step away from the BB platform.
    Some rumors say the tour2/bold. Other rumors say June/July. I am just being optimistic.

03-21-10 11:10 PM
    Can anyone talk me into getting another BB instead of a Droid on the Verizon network?
    The Droid and any other Android phone can be a HUGE security risk since all your information such as email, calendar, any financial information, passwords, etc. is stored on Google's servers waiting for any kid to hack in and steal your identity. Google's security is not adequate to protect your data..

I wouldn't touch one of 'em.

As always, YMMV
    03-22-10 06:15 PM
    Hey Jason-

I have been a Crackberry addict for several years and just switched to a Droid a little over a month ago.I, too, am a forty year old professional.
    In many many aspects, I love the Droid.
    The bigger screen, the very quick browser loads, the notifications, the scroll roll.
    I DO miss the track ball on my BB ( I had considered the Eris but somehow I thought the trackball might roll in my pocket. I have NO clue what I was thinking
    with that one :/ )
    and both keyboards take some getting used to.
    I have to say, I have an I-touch and I much prefer the I touch key board.
    I do like the Handcent app, the Droid/Twitter app and the server tray where you can just "pull out" and look at all your apps.
    I don't miss the track ball getting dirty. And I do think ringtone downloads are much easier on the BB.
    I have yet to find a Droid forum that comes anywhere near the Crackberry forum.
    I did find alot of cool short cuts one day. I sorted through over 50 pages on a Google search one afternoon for kicks. NOTHING compares to Crackberry forums!

Overall, I am happy I switched. Although, if I phone ever came to Verizon, I would go for that in heart beat.
    I still keep my BB for a back up
    03-24-10 09:39 AM
    I'm in the same boat. I have an 8330 and I am really leaning towards the Droid.

I know I would miss push e-mail and the easy keyboard, but the screen on the Droid is so nice and I use my phone strictly for personal entertainment, so I think the trade-off of losing yahoo mail being pushed is worth fun apps and nicer screen.
    03-24-10 03:47 PM
    Hey Jason-

I have been a Crackberry addict for several years and just switched to a Droid a little over a month ago.I, too, am a forty year old professional.
    In many many aspects, I love the Droid.
    The bigger screen, the very quick browser loads, the notifications, the scroll roll.
    I DO miss the track ball on my BB ( I had considered the Eris but somehow I thought the trackball might roll in my pocket. I have NO clue what I was thinking
    with that one :/ )
    and both keyboards take some getting used to.
    I have to say, I have an I-touch and I much prefer the I touch key board.
    I do like the Handcent app, the Droid/Twitter app and the server tray where you can just "pull out" and look at all your apps.
    I don't miss the track ball getting dirty. And I do think ringtone downloads are much easier on the BB.
    I have yet to find a Droid forum that comes anywhere near the Crackberry forum.
    I did find alot of cool short cuts one day. I sorted through over 50 pages on a Google search one afternoon for kicks. NOTHING compares to Crackberry forums!

Overall, I am happy I switched. Although, if I phone ever came to Verizon, I would go for that in heart beat.
    I still keep my BB for a back up
    thanks two isles
    03-27-10 07:49 AM
    thanks everyone for the feedback. Not trying to get you to do my work for me I have a family and I know I need to find that time to get my **** into the store and spend some time on the devices.

The Droid clearly seems to win in regarding to speed, apps and other issues.

However, as a salesperson is often on the road, I just don't know if I can give up the ease of use with texting on the BB. I can even do it with one hand on the BB.

I am hopefully going to make it to Verizon this week and see if there are any upcoming BB devices that are truly advancements over the 8330 curve.

If yes, I may go BB.... or if I can seem to text well on the Droid, I may go that route.

thanks, All.
    03-27-10 07:53 AM
    Can anyone talk me into getting another BB instead of a Droid on the Verizon network

Does BB offer anything that can stand up to the Droid ?
    Why do you have to be "talked into" another blackberry? Get what you like and what will be useful to you. Do research, weigh out the pros and cons and then make an educated decision.
    03-27-10 11:57 AM
    thanks everyone for the feedback. Not trying to get you to do my work for me I have a family and I know I need to find that time to get my **** into the store and spend some time on the devices.

The Droid clearly seems to win in regarding to speed, apps and other issues.

However, as a salesperson is often on the road, I just don't know if I can give up the ease of use with texting on the BB. I can even do it with one hand on the BB.

I am hopefully going to make it to Verizon this week and see if there are any upcoming BB devices that are truly advancements over the 8330 curve.

If yes, I may go BB.... or if I can seem to text well on the Droid, I may go that route.

thanks, All.
    I had a blackberry pearl before getting the Droid. I loved the Pearl, and I know it isn't the same as a Curve or Bold, but it was my first Blackberry, and my first smartphone.

After using the Droid for a few monthes, I can say there is no comparison between BB and Android for entertainment, browsing the web, or overall speed. There will ALWAYS be things the BB does better than Android, and vice-versa. The web browsing experience, though, is like night and day. The BB will never compete.

Push email on the Droid isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I have three accounts plus Gmail that I use and they all work just fine. You can set the update interval to whatever you want. Gmail is instant, and I have the others set to update every 1/2 hour. (I realize that isn't really push email, except for Gmail, but it serves me well)

As far as using the keyboard for texting, the Droid does an incredible job of guessing what you really want and correcting your typing on the fly. I use the portrait on-screen keyboard 95% of the time, and it always blows me away that it gets it right almost all the time. Typing with one finger flying over the keyboard, not checking very closely what keys I'm actually hitting, then looking at the result always makes me smile. Sometimes I wonder how it managed to figure out what I typed. :-) And, there are free options to just speak to the darned thing and have it translate that to text that is darn accurate. You have to experience it to believe it.

Also, Goggle maps with free navigation, spoken turn by turn directions, voice input and searching, is hard to beat. I haven't used my Garmin GPS since I got the Droid. If you're into Geocaching, there is an app called "c:Geo" that lets you go paperless and finds all the caches near wherever you are. Darn cool, and free.

Now, having said all that, if BB does what you need and Droid doesn't, you can't go wrong with BB either.

Tough choices, huh? Hey, nobody ever said it would be easy.
    03-28-10 09:05 AM

Push email on the Droid isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I have three accounts plus Gmail that I use and they all work just fine. You can set the update interval to whatever you want. Gmail is instant, and I have the others set to update every 1/2 hour. (I realize that isn't really push email, except for Gmail, but it serves me well)

As far as using the keyboard for texting, the Droid does an incredible job of guessing what you really want and correcting your typing on the fly. I use the portrait on-screen keyboard 95% of the time, and it always blows me away that it gets it right almost all the time. Typing with one finger flying over the keyboard, not checking very closely what keys I'm actually hitting, then looking at the result always makes me smile. Sometimes I wonder how it managed to figure out what I typed. :-)
    I agree completely, I have an Eris. I am much faster than I ever was on my BB. The browser is years ahead of Blackberry, and many cool apps to be found.

Just saying, don't let BB be your only "work phone" choice. Android is really great.
    03-28-10 09:23 AM
    I had a blackberry pearl before getting the Droid. I loved the Pearl, and I know it isn't the same as a Curve or Bold, but it was my first Blackberry, and my first smartphone.

After using the Droid for a few monthes, I can say there is no comparison between BB and Android for entertainment, browsing the web, or overall speed. There will ALWAYS be things the BB does better than Android, and vice-versa. The web browsing experience, though, is like night and day. The BB will never compete.

As far as using the keyboard for texting, the Droid does an incredible job of guessing what you really want and correcting your typing on the fly. I use the portrait on-screen keyboard 95% of the time, and it always blows me away that it gets it right almost all the time. Typing with one finger flying over the keyboard, not checking very closely what keys I'm actually hitting, then looking at the result always makes me smile. Sometimes I wonder how it managed to figure out what I typed. :-) And, there are free options to just speak to the darned thing and have it translate that to text that is darn accurate. You have to experience it to believe it.

Also, Goggle maps with free navigation, spoken turn by turn directions, voice input and searching, is hard to beat. I haven't used my Garmin GPS since I got the Droid. If you're into Geocaching, there is an app called "c:Geo" that lets you go paperless and finds all the caches near wherever you are. Darn cool, and free.

Now, having said all that, if BB does what you need and Droid doesn't, you can't go wrong with BB either.

Tough choices, huh? Hey, nobody ever said it would be easy.
    thanks, dtrust .. that's cool that you can text so well in portrait mode (on the touch screen.... didn't know that.

My free upgrade is next weekend, so I will probably spend a few hours in the store deciding.

thanks again for all the feedback.

re - the 'pushed' email issue.. I am glad that it is not much of a problem... I wonder why they can't just update the OS to take care of it completely ?
    03-28-10 11:41 AM
    I swear, some of the comments i read in this forum are pathetic. Us vs Them. Umm hello, if he goes and ask over there its gonna be the same thing. So where can he win?.
    This is a perfect place to ask this question. You posted it in the Android section and you are coming from a blackberry. I to came from a line of blackberry smartphones. 8300>8310>8900>9700 now to the backflip which is android and i have to honestly say that i don't regret it one bit. Email works great, regardless of what people are saying. Notifications and customization beat the blackberry OS hands down. Better apps, better screen, YouTube shows clear as ****, browser is outstanding. I must admit i do miss my blackberry but would never trade android for blackberry. IMO blackberry is behind and by a lot. And this is speaking from someone who came from "the best" blackberry as some call the 9700 and a crackberry addict/ ATT Rep.
    03-28-10 12:53 PM
    thank you Tae :

I think both the android phones and BB's each have benefits. I love the texting and email functionality on the BB.

I just don't want to be one of those unfortunate souls who buys a phone, then has to return it because they are unhappy with it.

What about the Palm Pre, it looks pretty sweet, has the querty keyboard, etc.
    I don't know about the apps., though.

I may wait a month or two to see if BB comes out with anything new. Anyone know if there are are real improvements on the horizon ?
    03-29-10 08:51 PM

I may wait a month or two to see if BB comes out with anything new. Anyone know if there are are real improvements on the horizon ?
    All RIM has coming up for the time being is a BIS 3.0 upgrade which just occurred (that was overhyped and didn't really do much of anything at all), a new Pearl which is sexier and more sleek, and the Blackberry Slider phone coming out, which sounds cool until you look at the absolutely RIDICULOUS specs it has...RIM just talks and talks, but never backs up their talk with action. They act like they don't want to be left behind and are "upping their game" but they never do. This has been shown time & time again. As I've said elsewhere, nowadays when I hear RIM, besides a rim job all I can think of are slow-as-all-****, senile old men and women with canes shaking their fists in the air (if able to) and making dumb decision after dumb decision, over and over again, not realizing or even understanding why they are continuously heading the wrong direction, into the dump of smartphone land.

This is RIM -->
    These are the consumers/users:
    Here's Android/other smartphone users:
    03-29-10 09:29 PM
    All RIM has coming up for the time being is a BIS 3.0 upgrade which just occurred (that was overhyped and didn't really do much of anything at all), a new Pearl which is sexier and more sleek, and the Blackberry Slider phone coming out, which sounds cool until you look at the absolutely RIDICULOUS specs it has...RIM just talks and talks, but never backs up their talk with action. They act like they don't want to be left behind and are "upping their game" but they never do. This has been shown time & time again. As I've said elsewhere, nowadays when I hear RIM, besides a rim job all I can think of are slow-as-all-****, senile old men and women with canes shaking their fists in the air (if able to) and making dumb decision after dumb decision, over and over again, not realizing or even understanding why they are continuously heading the wrong direction, into the dump of smartphone land.

This is RIM -->
    These are the consumers/users:
    Here's Android/other smartphone users:
    Ha.. Its always one post everyday that makes me laugh..
    Congrats your the one post for today..
    03-30-10 08:37 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD