the iphone was definitely a game changer... this phone, not so much.
    11-11-10 02:55 PM
    the iphone was definitely a game changer... this phone, not so much.
    Its not supposed to be. Its to entice people that like Blackberry to try Droid and that it will do.
    11-11-10 03:25 PM
    phone came up way short of my expectations

really is a driod x vs bb bold right now
    11-13-10 04:28 AM

Get the Droid X.
    11-13-10 07:50 AM
    seriously considering it although id have to talk verizon into pushing my upgrade up by 8 or 9 months, no way im paying retail for that, could not even close to recuperate the funds by selling my bold(think id prob net around 150 after ebay fees for it).

with the upgrade im only in the hole for 50 so I can def deal with that, without in the hole for around 400 which is way to steep for me when I'm probably just going to get a 4g phone mid to late next year when 4g phones are out on verzion.
    11-13-10 09:13 AM
    they have pushed my upgrade date up MANY times but i dont think they have ever pushed it up by more than 4 months.

anyone else have luck in this?
    11-13-10 09:14 AM
    They might be able to, but you are probably just better off waiting for a 4G device. Plenty of them will be out by the time you can upgrade. LTE devices will be out within a month or so. The DX is an awesome device (best device I have ever used) but it wont be worth it anymore.

Just wait for 4G devices and by the time you can get one, LTE coverage will be much better and all the kinks will be worked out.
    11-13-10 09:39 AM

Way short of your expectations, but you're considering a BB Bold? This phone smokes the Bold, sorry.
    11-13-10 09:48 AM
    So, where is the mod? half of the replies are snarky comments, ugh!

anyone do a comparison of the calendars of these devices? I get to upgrade in four days, can't wait!!

does the Pro have push e-mail? I don't want to have to get a gmail account as I've had yahoo for at least ten years. plus I'll have corporate mail to deal with when I go back to work (SAHM at the moment - back to work in a year!).

I like the droid pro for its similarities to the bb. but I like it better for the html browser and the speed. I'm not big on bbm, surprisingly; I'd rather text or use my regular old yahoo account, what can I say?

however, BB saved me from disasters with Treos where I lost over 300 contacts and my entire system was wiped out. I love the BB and have had three already, but as other posters have mentioned, the Pro was most likely designed to steal away dedicated Crackheads...like me.

So I'd love to see a true user comparison (not just of the features which I have from verizon already but experiences), not just "yeah, the Droid sucks"!
    01-01-11 11:07 AM
    So, where is the mod? half of the replies are snarky comments, ugh!
    Probably didn't bother because the thread died over a month ago.

anyone do a comparison of the calendars of these devices? I get to upgrade in four days, can't wait!!

does the Pro have push e-mail? I don't want to have to get a gmail account as I've had yahoo for at least ten years. plus I'll have corporate mail to deal with when I go back to work (SAHM at the moment - back to work in a year!).
    Yahoo is push. If your corporate account uses exchange, that will be push as well.
    01-01-11 11:11 AM
    Probably didn't bother because the thread died over a month ago.

Yahoo is push. If your corporate account uses exchange, that will be push as well.
    Yahoo is push? I guess I thought just gmail was. Has yahoo always been push?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-11 01:13 PM
    I didn't know that either. have to check it out.

...but thanks for reviving the thread, as these are the two devices I'm trying to decide between!

if anyone else has input I'd love to learn more.
    01-01-11 03:04 PM
    not to restart a old thread but i love blackberry and i always make people use them if i can.. i have tryed tuns of phones Iphone and android phones and i always come back i love my blackberry for tuns of reasons but to to the keyboard and BBM i love it. I think after seeing this phone with a keyboard even tho i said im done looking at other phones ill just keep fighting for RIM I wanna try this because the hole not havin my keyboard and not being to reply to text and work emails really fast was the main thing that maid me come back... ohh ya and BBM but im willing to take the loss for logmein app and some other apps and VIDEO that can play not skip ( not saying every blackberry has that problem.. this is just my opinion.

PS sorry for spelling and punctuation
    01-01-11 09:54 PM

Not always, but it is push and so is hotmail.
    01-01-11 09:56 PM
    Ohhhhh, looks sweet!
    01-01-11 10:22 PM

I am not sure about using exchange options like touchdown, but yahoo makes an app for android that provides push mail. It also provides real time access to all of your mail folders so you can clear your spam folder, empty your trash, move emails, etc. It needs some work but it works quite well on my moto droid. I prefer it to the way bis handles yahoo mail on my berry because I have an easier time keeping my yahoo mail organized. I can move emails to folders. I would have to access yahoo mail via the browser on my berry to do this. Also, the email shows up in the yahoo app as fast as it does on my berry.
    jenfisher29 likes this.
    01-01-11 11:31 PM
    thanks stides! do you know where I can find this app for yahoo push mail? I get my e-mails fine on bis so that's no problem but I want to check it out in case I do end up w the droid pro....

since you have both devices the OP was asking about what are your thoughts on the calendars of the droid versus the bold?
    01-02-11 06:32 AM
    thanks stides! do you know where I can find this app for yahoo push mail? I get my e-mails fine on bis so that's no problem but I want to check it out in case I do end up w the droid pro....

since you have both devices the OP was asking about what are your thoughts on the calendars of the droid versus the bold?
    The yahoo mail app for android can be found in the android market. If you have an android device then it will have the market app installed and you can simply search for it and download and install it from there. Here is a link for it on the web:

Yahoo!� Mail for Android�

That is for android only. Yahoo used to make an app for blackberry but they no longer do. I even think they have a web page for it still up but I can no longer get it to install. That is really unfortunate because I kind of liked using bis for my yahoo mail and liked to have the yahoo app for mail management, etc. However, it is no longer an option for blackberry.

With respect to calendars I find them both pretty comparable. I am using a leaked version of os 6 on my bold and have been for a while. I think they are about the same in terms of how well they display events, reminders and navigate. For my blackberry I always used google sync to sync my google calendar and contacts. Many users on here complain about google sync not being that reliable, but my experience with it has been very good. Multiple gmail calendars sync well and I have never had a problem with duplicate entries. On android the google contacts and calendar sync is very seemless. Even more seemless than google sync and everything syncs very quickly and accurately. Since I was already using gmail for my calendar and contacts the switch was super easy for me. If you are using outlook to hard sync your calendar and contacts I suspect the blackberry calendar is going to work better for you. I don't know if there is an easy way to do that with android. There are tons of apps to sync all sorts of things so I would not be surprised if there isn't an app to assist you. Android also has tons of free apps where I feel like more apps cost $ in blackberry app world or the itunes app store.

I am using a motorola droid that I bought used on ebay because I just wanted to try android with out burning an upgrade. I love the speed and screen size of the droid. The browser options and multi-media capabilities of the droid are far superior. You can install tons of apps without having to worry about memory space. They can also be installed to the sd card and never require a reboot of the device. Moreover, the device reboots in less than 30 seconds, not 3 min. like my bold with os 6 (it was like 5 min. or more with os5). There are no memory leaks so the device never needs to be rebooted. I also think os 6 on the bold does a better job of this too. I only reboot my bold manually maybe once every 2 weeks. However, I like the bold keyboard much better. The keyboard on the original droid just doesn't cut it form me. The droid pro looks like a great option for those who still want the bold-like keyboard but want to try android. I tried the droid pro in a verizon store and I dare say the keyboard is as good as my bold's keyboard. Motorola basically copied it. Surprisingly, battery life is pretty similar on my bold and droid. I thought the bold would blow away the droid in this area, but I pretty much get a full day out of both. I do so without having to turn off sync on the droid or keep the screen brightness at 15% or any other crazy thing like that. The droid tempts you to use it a little more for browsing, etc. (because the experience is so much better) so I think I may get a little more battery life out of the bold, but I can make it home at 7 pm from a full day with either phone and still make a call so I find them comparable. I think the droid pro will be just as good as my droid or probably even better with respect to battery life.

Sorry for rambling. I kind of got carried away and went into a full review/comparison. It really comes down to what you like. I would try the droid pro and if you don't like it you can simply return it withing 30 days. You will lose nothing but the $30 re-stocking fee at verizon. Using the device for a week or so is really the only way to really get a feel for android and whether it fits your needs as well or better than blackberry. Just because you go droid to try something new doesn't mean you won't come back to blackberry. I like android, but if blackberry finally gets some really compelling hardware and starts putting QNX on phones I can easily be back to using a berry full time. If you get the droid pro and have questions you can always pm me or ask in this forum. Tons of berry users who are now on android (or using both) still love posting here and are very helpful.
    01-02-11 11:01 AM
    The Yahoo! email app is preinstalled on the Droid Pro
    01-02-11 02:00 PM
    The Yahoo! email app is preinstalled on the Droid Pro
    I concur. I'm Loving My Droid Pro!

01-03-11 08:44 AM
    I concur. I'm Loving My Droid Pro!
    Nice one Cross, congrats!

I hope you picked up the extended battery and cover... coz you'll be needing it
    01-03-11 09:31 AM
    Nice one Cross, congrats!

I hope you picked up the extended battery and cover... coz you'll be needing it
    Thanks! No I didn't. I've already gone half of the day with it & I can tell I'm going to need it. Thanks for the heads up. Would you mind sending me pics of how the back look with the extended battery & cover please.

01-03-11 01:57 PM
    Thanks! No I didn't. I've already gone half of the day with it & I can tell I'm going to need it. Thanks for the heads up. Would you mind sending me pics of how the back look with the extended battery & cover please.
    Sure

Bottom is the original cover, and top is the phone with the extended cover on...

It's only a couple of mm thicker, and I actually think it feels better in the hand with the extended battery cover on.
    corymcnutt and Cross like this.
    01-03-11 03:01 PM
    Thanks Phil! It doesn't look bad. I'm get the extended battery today! I'll hit the "thanks" button for you when I get home.

01-03-11 04:08 PM
    IF BLACKBERRY HAD THE SAME MULTIMEDIA FUNCTIONALITY OF ANDROID...LETS SAY..OH..GAMES!!!! THEN I WOULDN'T CONSIDER DOING ANDROID AGAIN. but i have gone from bb to android..iphone and back again..its the design, compact and ease of typing..BUT their apps do suck beyone comprehension. they need to step up on apps and hardware.
    01-03-11 05:32 PM
175 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD