AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale July 6 - CNET Mobile

AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S III goes on sale July 6
    by Jessica Dolcourt July 2, 2012

AT&T is hoping to set off its own fireworks this Independence Day with the sale of its version of the Samsung Galaxy S III (S3), which goes on sale Friday for $199.99 after a new two-year contract.

Samsung's latest superphone earned a CNET Editors' Choice Award for its 4G LTE speeds, 4.8-inch screen, silky smooth design, excellent camera, and software extras.

AT&T will sell the Galaxy S3 in blue and white colors, and at some point, in an exclusive red shade. AT&T is the only carrier to sell just the 16GB capacity. Preorders begin shipping Friday.
    07-02-12 01:48 PM
    With the SDXC card slot, there's really no reason at all to have more than a 16GB version. Actually there's not really any need for internal storage at all. Just as long as the device has plenty of ROM storage is all that it really needs. Apps and games can be installed to the card.
    07-02-12 02:35 PM
    If they bloat the living crap out of the internal storage there might be...

Also 4.8" screen, that's ginormous...
    07-02-12 02:44 PM

That's the one thing reviews have been saying that has changed with the S3, bloatware. Reviews are indicating there isn't much at all. And that 4.8" is every bit as sweet and "Retina"-like as the iPhone 4. It's actually better for being OLED-based. Also, with ICS, any unwanted app can be disabled if desired.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 07-02-12 at 02:53 PM.
    07-02-12 02:51 PM
    I don't really care about pixel density, most devices are high enough to the point where it doesn't really make much difference. More just that 4.8" is too large imo.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    07-02-12 04:29 PM
    That's the one thing reviews have been saying that has changed with the S3, bloatware. Reviews are indicating there isn't much at all. And that 4.8" is every bit as sweet and "Retina"-like as the iPhone 4. It's actually better for being OLED-based. Also, with ICS, any unwanted app can be disabled if desired.
    That's all personal preference, and I believe the iPhone has a higher ppi. The Galaxy Nexus basically has the same screen as the SGS3 but smaller so it should have a higher ppi too. The Galaxy Nexus ppi is lower than the iPhones.

I personally like the Galaxy Nexus screen better than the iPhone, but the iPhones screen is sharper.
    07-02-12 04:33 PM
    That's all personal preference, and I believe the iPhone has a higher ppi. The Galaxy Nexus basically has the same screen as the SGS3 but smaller so it should have a higher ppi too. The Galaxy Nexus ppi is lower than the iPhones.

I personally like the Galaxy Nexus screen better than the iPhone, but the iPhones screen is sharper.
    There isn't much difference in the "PPI". There certainly isn't enough difference for a human eye to detect. A pixel is a very small thing. And the display of the G Nexus and SGS3 is very much "Retina"-like. Unless aided, a human eye cannot see the pixels at the "Retina" distance, which is 1 foot. The display of the G Nexus and GSG3 is OLED-based, which the iPhone 4 isn't. OLEDs don't need all of the substrate layers the LCDs do. They also don't require a backlight that the LCDs do. The iPhone 4 display is certainly nice, I had one. But it isn't as nice or as high-tech as the display in the G Nexus or SGS3. It can't produce the pure black that the OLED-based display can. And since an OLED display is turning individual pixels on or off to produce black or white or any color, they are more energy saving. The backlight in the iPhone 4 is on all the time while not in standby whether displaying black or white or anything in between. The LCD regulates the amount of that light being displayed for whatever shade it produces.
    07-02-12 04:57 PM
    I don't really care about pixel density, most devices are high enough to the point where it doesn't really make much difference. More just that 4.8" is too large imo.
    I also thought that 4.8 was way too large but after spending some time with the S3,I changed my mind. The phone itself isn't much larger than my S2 and maybe it's the shape of the phone but it is extremely comfortable in the hand. I also think it is much nicer in person than on pics or Internet. Definitely getting one.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    07-02-12 05:31 PM
    There isn't much difference in the "PPI". There certainly isn't enough difference for a human eye to detect. A pixel is a very small thing. And the display of the G Nexus and SGS3 is very much "Retina"-like. Unless aided, a human eye cannot see the pixels at the "Retina" distance, which is 1 foot. The display of the G Nexus and GSG3 is OLED-based, which the iPhone 4 isn't. OLEDs don't need all of the substrate layers the LCDs do. They also don't require a backlight that the LCDs do. The iPhone 4 display is certainly nice, I had one. But it isn't as nice or as high-tech as the display in the G Nexus or SGS3. It can't produce the pure black that the OLED-based display can. And since an OLED display is turning individual pixels on or off to produce black or white or any color, they are more energy saving. The backlight in the iPhone 4 is on all the time while not in standby whether displaying black or white or anything in between. The LCD regulates the amount of that light being displayed for whatever shade it produces.
    I can tell the difference in sharpness between the iPhone and Galaxy Nexus screen. I can see the visible smoothness on icons and other elements of the UI that make it clearer because of the ppi. I have very good eyes.

Like I said, I like the Galaxy Nexus screen better, but the iPhones screen is sharper. I don't always hold the device one foot away so maybe that's why I can see the difference.

I know all about the screen technologies as well.
    07-02-12 07:19 PM
    I can tell the difference in sharpness between the iPhone and Galaxy Nexus screen. I can see the visible smoothness on icons and other elements of the UI that make it clearer because of the ppi. I have very good eyes.

Like I said, I like the Galaxy Nexus screen better, but the iPhones screen is sharper. I don't always hold the device one foot away so maybe that's why I can see the difference.

I know all about the screen technologies as well.
    Apologies, I stand corrected. I always loved the look of my iPhone 4's display very much and felt it was the absolute best LCD ever created. It certainly is very sharp. But ever since owning a Samsung Focus, which has a Super AMOLED display, I've been in adoration of the display tech. The Focus wasn't as sharp and the jagged edges visible in just the right light and situation, but the pure black display and rich vivid colors were astounding. As good as my iPhone 4's display was, it just didn't impress me the way OLED did. Having a phone with "Retina"-like pixel count and quality combined with the astounding black and rich, vivid colors is the good life indeed.

I'm actually not able to discern individual pixels or see jagged edges on the SGS3.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 07-02-12 at 07:47 PM.
    07-02-12 07:44 PM
    Apologies, I stand corrected. I always loved the look of my iPhone 4's display very much and felt it was the absolute best LCD ever created. It certainly is very sharp. But ever since owning a Samsung Focus, which has a Super AMOLED display, I've been in adoration of the display tech. The Focus wasn't as sharp and the jagged edges visible in just the right light and situation, but the pure black display and rich vivid colors were astounding. As good as my iPhone 4's display was, it just didn't impress me the way OLED did. Having a phone with "Retina"-like pixel count and quality combined with the astounding black and rich, vivid colors is the good life indeed.

I'm actually not able to discern individual pixels or see jagged edges on the SGS3.
    Yea I love the colors the SAMOLD HD screen produces. Pentile and all, it kicks a lot of a$$.
    07-02-12 08:06 PM
    Yea I love the colors the SAMOLD HD screen produces. Pentile and all, it kicks a lot of a$$.
    The biggest issue with a Pentile-based OLED is the arrangement of the color parts of each pixel. They tend to make the edges of images look jagged. On my Focus it reminds me of the stitching of denim jeans. But Samsung says a Pentile-based OLED display will last much longer than the much sharper non-Pentile-based OLEDs. The SGS2 uses the non-pentile OLED and is incredibly sharp for an 800 x 480 res display. The HD display of the SGS3 and Galaxy Nexus, which has a 720 x 1280 resolution, would likely be as sharp as the iPhone 4's display if it were non-pentile-based.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 07-02-12 at 09:42 PM.
    07-02-12 09:40 PM
    Awesome! Cannot wait to have an oppertunity to actually play with one of these. Seriously considering using one of my upgrades on this phone. The reviews have been positive. Between the HTC one X and this. Decisions to make.
    07-02-12 11:03 PM
    Awesome! Cannot wait to have an oppertunity to actually play with one of these. Seriously considering using one of my upgrades on this phone. The reviews have been positive. Between the HTC one X and this. Decisions to make.
    Please see my post in the HOX vs GS3 thread.

IMO, GS3 wins by a light year.
    07-04-12 10:28 PM

The AT&T GS3 does not have much bloatware. The screen size is great not only for the visuals but it makes the overall UX really enjoyable.

The TouchWiz skin that Samsung has layered on top of the ICS OS is great. The GS3 is wicked fast. I have had mine since June 21st.

The size of the GS3 is large but it is very comfortable in the hand.
    07-04-12 10:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD