Okay, I'm seriously considering buying the new Captivate from at&t at full price just because I want one. Here's my question and concern. What, if anything, am I really missing by not being able to get apps from anywhere but the marketplace?

Sorry if this has already been answered but I've never owned a droid phone and the Captivate is the first one to peak my interest.
    07-26-10 11:51 AM
    You load apps not available in the marketplace. There's method that's out there to do so. I think someone posted a thread here a couple days ago.

EDIT: Here's the link to the thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/f169/t-...et-app-502000/
    07-26-10 12:05 PM
    I figured there were ways around it but I'm more interested in if it is really necessary. What I mean is, are there apps not in the marketplace that are really worth going around the block?

On a side note, I see that you have a Captivate. How does it stack up against the iPhone in your opinion? I had a 3G at one time but went back to the BB after getting a White Screen of Death and Apple wouldn't replace it.
    07-26-10 12:18 PM
    This might sound confusing, but not all market apps show up on a search done on a Captivate. An example of this is Handcent SMS. It is a perfectly legitimate app in the Market,; however, you would have to side load this app if you wanted to use it on the Captivate.
    07-26-10 12:32 PM
    This might sound confusing, but not all market apps show up on a search done on a Captivate. An example of this is Handcent SMS. It is a perfectly legitimate app in the Market,; however, you would have to side load this app if you wanted to use it on the Captivate.
    I guess that would be because it wasn't created specifically for the Captivate? So if I understand this correctly, there may be generic droid apps in the marketplace that I can't see because I'm searching from within the Captivate. So in order to get these apps, I would need to go outside of the marketplace to install.

What the **** was at&t thinking?
    07-26-10 01:59 PM
    I guess that would be because it wasn't created specifically for the Captivate? So if I understand this correctly, there may be generic droid apps in the marketplace that I can't see because I'm searching from within the Captivate. So in order to get these apps, I would need to go outside of the marketplace to install.

What the **** was at&t thinking?
    It's not just AT&T, verizon does it too. There were apps that I could get on my Nexus one which is unlocked but couldn't find on the Incredible or X. Carriers, for whatever reasons restrict certain apps.

Again Handscent is available through the market. Looks like Imma have to take a picture and show it. And the device it's going to be shown from isn't rooted or anything done to it. Straight out the box.

But at the end of the day, I don't have time to search around for apps that aren't in the market. Some people do or they want an app that's allowed by one carrier and not another because they switched. But for the most part everything you need in the market. I don't have time to mess around with SDKs, rooting and flashing.
    07-26-10 04:18 PM
    I figured there were ways around it but I'm more interested in if it is really necessary. What I mean is, are there apps not in the marketplace that are really worth going around the block?

On a side note, I see that you have a Captivate. How does it stack up against the iPhone in your opinion? I had a 3G at one time but went back to the BB after getting a White Screen of Death and Apple wouldn't replace it.
    The Captivate is nice but I think the iPhone 4 is better. But it will all depend on what you like. I have experienced a tremendous amount of lag with the Captivate and my wife as well. And I've been to other forums where a lot of people do as well. To me, that was a deal breaker because I didn't experience it on the iPhone, Incredible or X. So going from lag free devices to this one was frustrated. Honestly, it may not have been very laggy but it just feels that way when you haven't experienced it in a while. It would suck when loading the RSS feeds in the background and then checking mail. But that's my experience and don't take it as the device itself for everyone. I expect Froyo update to take care of that though. But in other things, the display is better than any Android out and the form factor is very nice. Very fast when it's not lagging and camera is great. Battery life is decent for a device with a display like that.

Very nice device. I actually prefer the N1 with froyo because it took away the lag.
    07-26-10 04:24 PM
    Thanks, I appreciate the comments on the Captivate. I think I'll go play with one at the store a little and see what's up. I'm also waiting to see what the Windows Phone 7 is going to be like once the OS is pushed to the wild on HTC and Samsung devices.
    07-26-10 06:37 PM
    Thanks, I appreciate the comments on the Captivate. I think I'll go play with one at the store a little and see what's up. I'm also waiting to see what the Windows Phone 7 is going to be like once the OS is pushed to the wild on HTC and Samsung devices.
    No prob. BGR did a little hands on with Windows phone 7. Gotta say I'm not liking what I'm seeing from it. Good luck.
    07-26-10 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD