Should I expect that the rumored Passion, with the 1GHz Snapdragon processor from Qualcomm, be materially faster for web browsing than the Droid?
    11-19-09 05:59 PM
    Should I expect that the rumored Passion, with the 1GHz Snapdragon processor from Qualcomm, be materially faster for web browsing than the Droid?
    There is speculation that if it comes to VZ they may clock it down to
    800mhz if thats the case it may not be that much faster. The Moto aint too
    shabby that from experirnce I can say.
    11-19-09 06:06 PM
    No.

They may have to clock it down to conserve battery life, plus the Droid has a dedicated GPU and the Passion doesn't.
    11-19-09 06:15 PM
    No.

They may have to clock it down to conserve battery life, plus the Droid has a dedicated GPU and the Passion doesn't.
    Yeah if they do that it should be pretty darned even. People think
    the passion is gonna smoke the Moto. I think it's gonna be a tough decision.
    Also the Passion will appeal more to the iphonesque user type who wants
    simple user interface. The Moto hardcore geeks or quasi geeks like myself.
    For me it's gonna be a hard choice..............
    11-19-09 06:19 PM
    They will both beat whatever most people have been using, that's all that counts really, not which one is a little faster. Wifi helps too.
    11-19-09 06:22 PM
    They will both beat whatever most people have been using, that's all that counts really, not which one is a little faster. Wifi helps too.
    Ya know I couldn't have put it better myself I bet it's gonna be a toss up
    11-19-09 06:24 PM
    Thanks all.

Now I know that speed should not be my deciding factor
    11-19-09 06:28 PM
    Don't look at the 1ghz and think its automatically faster...look at the recent hands on of the SE Xperia X10. It has a snapdragon at 1ghz, and reports are so far its not faster than the droid. Granted they said it 'should' be improved by the time it launches early next year, but still...plus that was on 1.6!
    Last edited by Hanano17; 11-19-09 at 11:26 PM.
    11-19-09 06:40 PM
    Next thing you know people will be expecting the phone to respond and open apps by just thinking about them.

"I'm going to check facebook" BAM!! the app opens.....

Laying in bed......."When I pick up my phone I'm going to scroll right" BAM!!! phone scrolls right
    11-19-09 06:55 PM
    Next thing you know people will be expecting the phone to respond and open apps by just thinking about them.

"I'm going to check facebook" BAM!! the app opens.....

Laying in bed......."When I pick up my phone I'm going to scroll right" BAM!!! phone scrolls right
    Can it be far in the Future?
    11-19-09 07:00 PM
    Next thing you know people will be expecting the phone to respond and open apps by just thinking about them. /////Laying in bed......."When I pick up my phone I'm going to scroll right" BAM!!! phone scrolls right
    I know what you mean. Have you ever taken out a frozen entree/dinner, looked at the box before putting it in the microwave and said "WHAT, I have to wait 5 whole minutes before it's ready??!!??!!
    11-19-09 08:33 PM
    From what I've read snapdragon at 1ghz is more efficient than the processor at like 60mhz in our droids so it doesnt have to be underclocked
    11-19-09 08:54 PM
    under clocking it I think is so battery life will be improved...
    11-19-09 09:00 PM
    From what I've read snapdragon at 1ghz is more efficient than the processor at like 60mhz in our droids so it doesnt have to be underclocked
    LOL. At 1GHZ, the Snapdragon better be faster than a 60MHZ OMAP 3430 processor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 09:01 PM
    LOL. At 1GHZ, the Snapdragon better be faster than a 60MHZ OMAP 3430 processor.

Efficient not faster (which it is)...in referance to energy consumption I believe.
    11-19-09 09:04 PM
    Efficient not faster (which it is)...in referance to energy consumption I believe.
    I thought it was a typo, and should of been 600 MHZ, not 60MHZ?

11-19-09 09:08 PM

Yep it was supposed to be 600mhz.

The Cortex-A8 is rated at .59 mW/MHz power consumption so for the TI OMAP 3430 that translates to roughly 354mW at 600 Mhz. The Scorpion on the other hand is rated at about .33 mW/Mhz and that comes out to about 330mW at 1 Ghz.

Home - DWin Smith
    11-19-09 09:41 PM

ah I forgot to enable the humor on my storm, stupid low battery automatically turning off the things i need most.
    11-19-09 10:49 PM
    No.

Yes, you are incorrect. It will destroy Moto as far as performance goes. To think otherwise is to admit fanboy status. Be happy with what you have dont worry about the next best thing. But the passion > moto droid by a long shot, dont kid yourself.
    11-20-09 12:17 AM
    Yes, you are incorrect. It will destroy Moto as far as performance goes. To think otherwise is to admit fanboy status. Be happy with what you have dont worry about the next best thing. But the passion > moto droid by a long shot, dont kid yourself.
    Yes you are in fact incorrect.

While the Passion will be a fine device don't count on it outperforming the Moto Droid.

But I'll let you find that out when they roll it out next year : )
    11-20-09 12:24 AM
    If they have to clock it down I don't think so. It will be faster, probably.
    But will it walk away from it like Jerry Rice in his prime would have a high school corner back. Nah I don't think so.

I will say to I returned my Droid because I bought a netbook and just didn't wanna have an outrageous bill.
    I am going to wait til the end of December before I make my purchase and see if the Passion/Dragon comes out.
    If not I will probably repurchase the Droid and not look back. The Droid is quite a capable device....
    Also it will be interesting to see what it is like once the Dec 11 updtaes come out.
    Last edited by TrendyProfessional1; 11-20-09 at 07:11 AM.
    11-20-09 06:49 AM
    Qualcomm and Arm mobile processors remind me of the AMD, Intel wars. It is good we have them both (for us) Visit qualcomm's site, then go visit Arms. READ....you will find that comparing the latest processors form these two companies is a bit more deep than a comment here could ever provide. Here is a snapshot between the two (you will notice they both run at 1GHz)
    Qualcomm• 1 GHz CPU
    • 600MHz DSP
    • Integrated 3G mobile broadband
    • Support for Wi-Fi� and Bluetooth� connectivity
    • Built-in seventh-generation gpsOne� engine with Standalone-GPS and Assisted-GPS modes
    • High-definition (720p) video decode, and multiple video codec support
    • High-performance 3D graphics – up to 22M triangles/sec and 133M 3D pixels/sec
    • High-resolution up to WXGA (1280x720) display support
    • 12-megapixel camera support
    • Multiple audio codecs: (AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, FR, EFR, HR, WB-AMR, G.729a, G.711, AAC stereo encode)
    • Support for mobile broadcast TV (MediaFLO™, DVB-H and ISDB-T)
    • Support for Windows Mobile�, Android, and a number of Linux�-based operating systems
    • Qualcomm’s hybrid mode alternative solution
    m:
    Arm: Built-in architecture extensions - more efficient processing of algorithms to save CPU overhead, memory and power;
    - Thumb�-2 - Greatly improved code density
    - DSP - Signal process directly in the RISC core
    - Jazelle� - Java acceleration;
    - TrustZone� - Hardware/Software environment for maximum security
    Processor performance - Through a wide range of functionality and power, parts running from 1MHz to 1 GHz with architectural performance enhancements for media and Java.
    Tools of choice – ARM has the widest range of hardware and software tools support of any 32-bit architecture.
    Low power consumption – ARM microprocessor solutions offer the industry's lowest power consumption and MIPS per Watt. These enable long battery life with very advanced features.
    Low cost of silicon – ARM processors and other IP products make efficient use of silicon and memory to align with the economics of wireless devices. Architectural features such as Thumb and Thumb-2 core technology reduce code size for minimal footprint and silicon cost.
    Wide support - ARM is the best supported microprocessor architecture available. A wide range of OS, Middleware and tools support an extensive choice of multimedia codec solutions optimized for ARM processors, are available from the ARM Connected Community.
    11-20-09 07:43 AM
    AMD vs Intel. I havent had that debate for a few years but here is a nugget. Cray made #1 in supercomputing with AMD processors. Of course when you have 40,000 processors it could even run Vista at a reasonable speed. heh

Cereal, I got a 20 that says I am correct.
    11-20-09 08:18 AM
    Qualcomm and Arm mobile processors remind me of the AMD, Intel wars. It is good we have them both (for us) Visit qualcomm's site, then go visit Arms. READ....you will find that comparing the latest processors form these two companies is a bit more deep than a comment here could ever provide. Here is a snapshot between the two (you will notice they both run at 1GHz)
    Qualcomm� 1 GHz CPU
    � 600MHz DSP
    � Integrated 3G mobile broadband
    � Support for Wi-Fi� and Bluetooth� connectivity
    � Built-in seventh-generation gpsOne� engine with Standalone-GPS and Assisted-GPS modes
    � High-definition (720p) video decode, and multiple video codec support
    � High-performance 3D graphics � up to 22M triangles/sec and 133M 3D pixels/sec
    � High-resolution up to WXGA (1280x720) display support
    � 12-megapixel camera support
    � Multiple audio codecs: (AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, FR, EFR, HR, WB-AMR, G.729a, G.711, AAC stereo encode)
    � Support for mobile broadcast TV (MediaFLO�, DVB-H and ISDB-T)
    � Support for Windows Mobile�, Android, and a number of Linux�-based operating systems
    � Qualcomm�s hybrid mode alternative solution
    m:
    Arm: Built-in architecture extensions - more efficient processing of algorithms to save CPU overhead, memory and power;
    - Thumb�-2 - Greatly improved code density
    - DSP - Signal process directly in the RISC core
    - Jazelle� - Java acceleration;
    - TrustZone� - Hardware/Software environment for maximum security
    Processor performance - Through a wide range of functionality and power, parts running from 1MHz to 1 GHz with architectural performance enhancements for media and Java.
    Tools of choice � ARM has the widest range of hardware and software tools support of any 32-bit architecture.
    Low power consumption � ARM microprocessor solutions offer the industry's lowest power consumption and MIPS per Watt. These enable long battery life with very advanced features.
    Low cost of silicon � ARM processors and other IP products make efficient use of silicon and memory to align with the economics of wireless devices. Architectural features such as Thumb and Thumb-2 core technology reduce code size for minimal footprint and silicon cost.
    Wide support - ARM is the best supported microprocessor architecture available. A wide range of OS, Middleware and tools support an extensive choice of multimedia codec solutions optimized for ARM processors, are available from the ARM Connected Community.
    Nice comparison; thank u...........................
    11-20-09 08:45 AM
    u can't say yes or no to either side. until we have real testing, no one knows.

the 1 ghz snapdragon (even at full speed) might not be faster than the 600 mhz cortex with a gpu. who knows.
    11-20-09 08:49 AM
109 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD