I just got a nook and was taken back when I found out I had to pay for EVERY app. There are roughly 20 free apps and only one (1) is useful (seismic).

Then a buddy of mine said I should root it to run android market and have a great 7in Android Tablet with all the android apps.

I really don't know much about this. However, I do know every action has a consequence(s).

Can anyone elighten me?

Is this easy?
    Have you done this?
    What will this change?
    What are the pro's?
    What are the con's?

In my short time researching I've noticed a few options to making this happen. Some see REALLY complicated and some see very easy.

Ultimately, I'd like a tablet with fun games, WIFI and e-reading capabilities. It appears this reader is very powerful under the hood and I'd like to capitalize on it.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-11 10:43 PM
    It's super easy, I'm posting this from my cm7 nook color. Just google for rooting instructions. The root installs rom manager, which is one click to instal clockwork mod and them one click to instal cm7.
    07-03-11 10:07 PM
    Sign up on the android forums if you get stuck. Ton of people over there can help and the nook has its own section with detailed instructions on rooting it

07-04-11 07:40 AM
    Some feedback...

Did an NC today. Was pretty easy. Took a bit more prep than any other device I have rooted, but it was well worth it. Wow.

The NC is the BEST bargain tablet for the money, IMHO, especially if one is not unwilling to tinker. Big ups to Scrid and Spotmark.
    10-15-11 03:49 PM
    You should try out the dual boot option.

I dual boot my Nook Color with CM7 on a Sandisk microSD card. That way, I have the option to use either the regular nook OS or the CM7 on the card if I want a more Android tablet experience. Runs great from the card.
    10-17-11 06:31 PM
    You should try out the dual boot option.

I dual boot my Nook Color with CM7 on a Sandisk microSD card. That way, I have the option to use either the regular nook OS or the CM7 on the card if I want a more Android tablet experience. Runs great from the card.
    I did consider CM7 from card only. Since I have a good deal of experience with rooting, I just went and did that outright. So far, I am quite pleased with the result. The Nook Color is a serious steal.
    10-17-11 06:44 PM
    I personally see no point in the stock Nook OS, but if you want to do it that way and don't want to make a microSD card yourself, PM me and I'll make one for you for $10 + the price of the card.

10-17-11 07:40 PM
    There is a NC developer's forum over at xda which has all the information you will need to root and load a custom rom (if you desire).

I'm currently running a CM7 nightly build with some unneeded file apk's changed to .bak (camera, talk, etc.)
    10-17-11 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD